Solasta - [Dev] Chill stream - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Solasta - [Dev] Chill stream

Default Solasta - [Dev] Chill stream

September 28th, 2021, 20:09
Tactical Adventures hosted a Twitch stream to talk about barbarians, druids and to try out some community dungeons.

The stream starts at 22'45.

More information.

Redglyph

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Team

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)

September 28th, 2021, 20:15
We don't have a preview for Twitch videos, so instead you get the fluffy

Questions are actually quite general, on Solasta, what they'll work on, whether the faces are going to get improved, tools, and so on.

Redglyph

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Team

September 28th, 2021, 20:26
Your in luck as I love cats.
--
“Opinions are like assholes, everybody's got one and everyone thinks everyone else's stinks.”

Couchpotato

Professional Shitposter

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
+1:

September 28th, 2021, 20:38
Originally Posted by Couchpotato View Post
Your in luck as I love cats.
Go to 36'30 then, cats are fighting (in real-time with pause)

Redglyph

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Team

September 28th, 2021, 21:12
Solasta feels like they're building a really neat combat D&D 5th edition toolset… but the main campaign was just a bit "meh" - it wasn't bad, but it wasn't super memorable, either. I will admit that playing through the campaign with the core rules made me look up a few things in my D&D Beyond ruleset, and even clarified a couple of issues I have had about darkness and surprise for a while with this edition. (I'm glad they didn't end up going with their "harder" version of darkness in the game. If I was teaching a gamer how to play tabletop D&D, this would be a cool way to do so - the turn-based tactics, planning moves, spells, resting, resource use, etc., all plays out a bit like a real D&D campaign might under the current ruleset. Things like attack of opportunity mechanics, spell-interrupt mechanics, the d20 system, advantage & disadvantage - all explained really well.)
--
My mother said that dreams aren't real. But nightmares are.

FurtiveNyctophile

Sentinel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

September 29th, 2021, 01:24
Just here for the cats.
--
How about all games have a single huge lootbox you pay for up front that contains all the options, items, skins, unlocks etc? I'd pay for that!!

Wisdom

Torch & Pitchfork Vendor
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)

September 29th, 2021, 03:24
A kitten and a teddy bear, oh my!

Carnifex

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)

September 29th, 2021, 03:33
Not a lot of new information about the DLC. All that was said is that it will not include anymore adventure campaigns. It is just going to be the new classes and some other unnamed additions, some of which will be free for anyone who owns the base game. A developer had previously mentioned on their Discord they're working on raising the level cap to 12 so that might be part of it. And probably some more features for the dungeon maker.

Originally Posted by FurtiveNyctophile View Post
Solasta feels like they're building a really neat combat D&D 5th edition toolset… but the main campaign was just a bit "meh" - it wasn't bad, but it wasn't super memorable, either. I will admit that playing through the campaign with the core rules made me look up a few things in my D&D Beyond ruleset, and even clarified a couple of issues I have had about darkness and surprise for a while with this edition. (I'm glad they didn't end up going with their "harder" version of darkness in the game. If I was teaching a gamer how to play tabletop D&D, this would be a cool way to do so - the turn-based tactics, planning moves, spells, resting, resource use, etc., all plays out a bit like a real D&D campaign might under the current ruleset. Things like attack of opportunity mechanics, spell-interrupt mechanics, the d20 system, advantage & disadvantage - all explained really well.)
Yeah this game is my first (only) exposure to 5e. And the Dungeon Maker is really what makes this game stand out. I just recently started tinkering with it and made a small map for a contest a streamer was holding. The dungeon maker is currently rather limited in what you can do, but it's extremely user friendly. If they eventually add the ability to create dialogue trees, merchants, and simple quests there's a lot of potential here.

daveyd

Turn-based lifeform

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)

September 29th, 2021, 05:11
I still need to play this. With all the new releases lately, I sort of forgot about it.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)

September 29th, 2021, 15:21
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
I still need to play this. With all the new releases lately, I sort of forgot about it.
If you don't already own it I noticed it's 35% off on GOG right now.

daveyd

Turn-based lifeform

+1:

September 29th, 2021, 16:12
Just here to say that Russian Blue is the most adorable thing I've seen in a while.

Nereida

Banned

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)

September 29th, 2021, 16:21
Originally Posted by Nereida View Post
Just here to say that Russian Blue is the most adorable thing I've seen in a while.
Agree now here's funny clip from a movie I love.

loading…
--
“Opinions are like assholes, everybody's got one and everyone thinks everyone else's stinks.”

Couchpotato

Professional Shitposter

September 29th, 2021, 16:57
I'm just here to say what a lovely little game Solasta was. Of all the non-epic games that get released each year, this was easily the one I've liked most since Banner Saga 1, Blackguards et al all came out many years ago.

I doubt it will win our GotY poll, due to the sheer weight of competition, but I, for one, will be heartily depressed if it doesn't compete for the No.2 spot.

lackblogger

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
+1:

September 29th, 2021, 17:31
Now that you mention that, I think I had a RB cat when I was a kid.

Redglyph

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Team

+1:

September 29th, 2021, 17:41
This is one I surely plan on playing, once a complete edition is out so I can enjoy it all in one fun run.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)

September 29th, 2021, 17:45
Originally Posted by lackblogger View Post
I'm just here to say what a lovely little game Solasta was. Of all the non-epic games that get released each year, this was easily the one I've liked most since Banner Saga 1, Blackguards et al all came out many years ago.

I doubt it will win our GotY poll, due to the sheer weight of competition, but I, for one, will be heartily depressed if it doesn't compete for the No.2 spot.
So many good games this year, indeed. Its gameplay was really fun. Unlike Pathfinder, they didn't try to do everything but what they did was pretty good. Now if they could make an editor similar to what we had with NWN, it would be truly great.

vanedor

Keeper of the Watch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)

September 29th, 2021, 18:00
If they would release a toolset like NWN I'd probably enjoy the game more due to all the free better campaign mods that would be released. They never will so moot point.

Anyway I don't want to play a tabletop simulator but an actual RPG.
--

Couchpotato

Professional Shitposter

September 29th, 2021, 19:05
Originally Posted by Carnifex View Post
This is one I surely plan on playing, once a complete edition is out so I can enjoy it all in one fun run.
I think the official campaign is about as complete as it's going to get (aside from remaining bugfixes). The upcoming DLC is going to add barbarian and druid classes and some other features (increasing level cap from 10 to 12 has been mentioned), but no new quests / locations. I suppose it's possible they will do a DLC campaign down the line, but if they do I have a feeling it would just be a standalone adventure meant for new characters.

If they would release a toolset like NWN I'd probably enjoy the game more due to all the free better campaign mods that would be released. They never will so moot point.

The Dungeon Maker is very limited now but it is still described as beta. The developers mentioned hoping to implement dialogue trees, quests, and merchants (There's already a mod that lets you create merchants now). Complex scripting is not going to happen, but on the positive side it's very easy to learn. I think people could do a lot with it once you can designate quest items, a and have dialogue w/ skill checks. Even with the limitations now people are making some pretty interesting modules, though they tend to be very combat focused. I started to tinker with a stealth module but I really need to be able to award XP when you reach locations so players aren't stuck at level one forever.
Last edited by daveyd; September 29th, 2021 at 19:25.

daveyd

Turn-based lifeform

+1:

September 29th, 2021, 19:25
Originally Posted by daveyd View Post
I think the official campaign is about as complete as it's going to get (aside from remaining bugfixes). The upcoming DLC is going to add barbarian and druid classes and some other features (increasing level cap from 10 to 12 has been mentioned), but no new quests / locations. I suppose it's possible they will do a DLC campaign down the line, but if they do I have a feeling it would just be a standalone adventure meant for new characters.
Are Barbarian and Druid going to be the final additions as far as classes? I thought there was talk about adding Monk at one point.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)

September 29th, 2021, 19:39
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
Are Barbarian and Druid going to be the final additions as far as classes? I thought there was talk about adding Monk at one point.
Not necessarily the final but I'm sure it'll depend on how the DLC sells. Monks, Bards, and Warlocks will be the only classes left in the 5e SRD so if they do another class DLC it would probably be two of those.

As far as races go, they could add half-orc or dragonborn.

daveyd

Turn-based lifeform

+1:
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Solasta - [Dev] Chill stream