Solasta - [Dev] Chill stream - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Solasta - [Dev] Chill stream

Default Solasta - [Dev] Chill stream

September 28th, 2021, 20:09
Tactical Adventures hosted a Twitch stream to talk about barbarians, druids and to try out some community dungeons.

The stream starts at 22'45.



More information.
Redglyph is offline

Redglyph

Redglyph's Avatar
SasqWatch
RPGWatch Team

#1

Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Good old Europe
Posts: 3,175
Mentioned: 64 Post(s)

Default 

September 28th, 2021, 20:15
We don't have a preview for Twitch videos, so instead you get the fluffy

Questions are actually quite general, on Solasta, what they'll work on, whether the faces are going to get improved, tools, and so on.
Redglyph is offline

Redglyph

Redglyph's Avatar
SasqWatch
RPGWatch Team

#2

Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Good old Europe
Posts: 3,175
Mentioned: 64 Post(s)

Default 

September 28th, 2021, 20:26
Your in luck as I love cats.
--
“Opinions are like assholes, everybody's got one and everyone thinks everyone else's stinks.”
Couchpotato is offline

Couchpotato

Couchpotato's Avatar
Professional Shitposter

#3

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Spudlandia
Posts: 27,675
Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
+1:

Default 

September 28th, 2021, 20:38
Originally Posted by Couchpotato View Post
Your in luck as I love cats.
Go to 36'30 then, cats are fighting (in real-time with pause)
Redglyph is offline

Redglyph

Redglyph's Avatar
SasqWatch
RPGWatch Team

#4

Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Good old Europe
Posts: 3,175
Mentioned: 64 Post(s)

Default 

September 28th, 2021, 21:12
Solasta feels like they're building a really neat combat D&D 5th edition toolset… but the main campaign was just a bit "meh" - it wasn't bad, but it wasn't super memorable, either. I will admit that playing through the campaign with the core rules made me look up a few things in my D&D Beyond ruleset, and even clarified a couple of issues I have had about darkness and surprise for a while with this edition. (I'm glad they didn't end up going with their "harder" version of darkness in the game. If I was teaching a gamer how to play tabletop D&D, this would be a cool way to do so - the turn-based tactics, planning moves, spells, resting, resource use, etc., all plays out a bit like a real D&D campaign might under the current ruleset. Things like attack of opportunity mechanics, spell-interrupt mechanics, the d20 system, advantage & disadvantage - all explained really well.)
--
My mother said that dreams aren't real. But nightmares are.
FurtiveNyctophile is offline

FurtiveNyctophile

FurtiveNyctophile's Avatar
Sentinel

#5

Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Southwest US
Posts: 328
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Default 

September 29th, 2021, 01:24
Just here for the cats.
--
How about all games have a single huge lootbox you pay for up front that contains all the options, items, skins, unlocks etc? I'd pay for that!!
Wisdom is offline

Wisdom

Wisdom's Avatar
Torch & Pitchfork Vendor
Original Sin 2 Donor

#6

Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 2,868
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)

Default 

September 29th, 2021, 03:24
A kitten and a teddy bear, oh my!
Carnifex is offline

Carnifex

SasqWatch

#7

Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Holly Hill, FL.
Posts: 13,832
Mentioned: 50 Post(s)

Default 

September 29th, 2021, 03:33
Not a lot of new information about the DLC. All that was said is that it will not include anymore adventure campaigns. It is just going to be the new classes and some other unnamed additions, some of which will be free for anyone who owns the base game. A developer had previously mentioned on their Discord they're working on raising the level cap to 12 so that might be part of it. And probably some more features for the dungeon maker.

Originally Posted by FurtiveNyctophile View Post
Solasta feels like they're building a really neat combat D&D 5th edition toolset… but the main campaign was just a bit "meh" - it wasn't bad, but it wasn't super memorable, either. I will admit that playing through the campaign with the core rules made me look up a few things in my D&D Beyond ruleset, and even clarified a couple of issues I have had about darkness and surprise for a while with this edition. (I'm glad they didn't end up going with their "harder" version of darkness in the game. If I was teaching a gamer how to play tabletop D&D, this would be a cool way to do so - the turn-based tactics, planning moves, spells, resting, resource use, etc., all plays out a bit like a real D&D campaign might under the current ruleset. Things like attack of opportunity mechanics, spell-interrupt mechanics, the d20 system, advantage & disadvantage - all explained really well.)
Yeah this game is my first (only) exposure to 5e. And the Dungeon Maker is really what makes this game stand out. I just recently started tinkering with it and made a small map for a contest a streamer was holding. The dungeon maker is currently rather limited in what you can do, but it's extremely user friendly. If they eventually add the ability to create dialogue trees, merchants, and simple quests there's a lot of potential here.
daveyd is offline

daveyd

daveyd's Avatar
Turn-based lifeform

#8

Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: PA
Posts: 2,040
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)

Default 

September 29th, 2021, 05:11
I still need to play this. With all the new releases lately, I sort of forgot about it.
JDR13 is offline

JDR13

JDR13's Avatar
SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

#9

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Florida, US
Posts: 31,355
Mentioned: 117 Post(s)

Default 

September 29th, 2021, 15:21
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
I still need to play this. With all the new releases lately, I sort of forgot about it.
If you don't already own it I noticed it's 35% off on GOG right now.
daveyd is offline

daveyd

daveyd's Avatar
Turn-based lifeform

#10

Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: PA
Posts: 2,040
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
+1:

Default 

September 29th, 2021, 16:12
Just here to say that Russian Blue is the most adorable thing I've seen in a while.
Nereida is offline

Nereida

Banned

#11

Join Date: Sep 2021
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 444
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)

Default 

September 29th, 2021, 16:21
Originally Posted by Nereida View Post
Just here to say that Russian Blue is the most adorable thing I've seen in a while.
Agree now here's funny clip from a movie I love.

loading…
--
“Opinions are like assholes, everybody's got one and everyone thinks everyone else's stinks.”
Couchpotato is offline

Couchpotato

Couchpotato's Avatar
Professional Shitposter

#12

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Spudlandia
Posts: 27,675
Mentioned: 144 Post(s)

Default 

September 29th, 2021, 16:57
I'm just here to say what a lovely little game Solasta was. Of all the non-epic games that get released each year, this was easily the one I've liked most since Banner Saga 1, Blackguards et al all came out many years ago.

I doubt it will win our GotY poll, due to the sheer weight of competition, but I, for one, will be heartily depressed if it doesn't compete for the No.2 spot.
lackblogger is offline

lackblogger

lackblogger's Avatar
SasqWatch

#13

Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 4,050
Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
+1:

Default 

September 29th, 2021, 17:31
Now that you mention that, I think I had a RB cat when I was a kid.
Redglyph is offline

Redglyph

Redglyph's Avatar
SasqWatch
RPGWatch Team

#14

Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Good old Europe
Posts: 3,175
Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
+1:

Default 

September 29th, 2021, 17:41
This is one I surely plan on playing, once a complete edition is out so I can enjoy it all in one fun run.
Carnifex is offline

Carnifex

SasqWatch

#15

Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Holly Hill, FL.
Posts: 13,832
Mentioned: 50 Post(s)

Default 

September 29th, 2021, 17:45
Originally Posted by lackblogger View Post
I'm just here to say what a lovely little game Solasta was. Of all the non-epic games that get released each year, this was easily the one I've liked most since Banner Saga 1, Blackguards et al all came out many years ago.

I doubt it will win our GotY poll, due to the sheer weight of competition, but I, for one, will be heartily depressed if it doesn't compete for the No.2 spot.
So many good games this year, indeed. Its gameplay was really fun. Unlike Pathfinder, they didn't try to do everything but what they did was pretty good. Now if they could make an editor similar to what we had with NWN, it would be truly great.
vanedor is offline

vanedor

vanedor's Avatar
Keeper of the Watch

#16

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Quebec city
Posts: 967
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)

Default 

September 29th, 2021, 18:00
If they would release a toolset like NWN I'd probably enjoy the game more due to all the free better campaign mods that would be released. They never will so moot point.

Anyway I don't want to play a tabletop simulator but an actual RPG.
--
“Opinions are like assholes, everybody's got one and everyone thinks everyone else's stinks.”
Couchpotato is offline

Couchpotato

Couchpotato's Avatar
Professional Shitposter

#17

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Spudlandia
Posts: 27,675
Mentioned: 144 Post(s)

Default 

September 29th, 2021, 19:05
Originally Posted by Carnifex View Post
This is one I surely plan on playing, once a complete edition is out so I can enjoy it all in one fun run.
I think the official campaign is about as complete as it's going to get (aside from remaining bugfixes). The upcoming DLC is going to add barbarian and druid classes and some other features (increasing level cap from 10 to 12 has been mentioned), but no new quests / locations. I suppose it's possible they will do a DLC campaign down the line, but if they do I have a feeling it would just be a standalone adventure meant for new characters.

Originally Posted by Couchpotato View Post
If they would release a toolset like NWN I'd probably enjoy the game more due to all the free better campaign mods that would be released. They never will so moot point.

Anyway I don't want to play a tabletop simulator but an actual RPG.
Originally Posted by Couchpotato View Post
If they would release a toolset like NWN I'd probably enjoy the game more due to all the free better campaign mods that would be released. They never will so moot point.

Anyway I don't want to play a tabletop simulator but an actual RPG.
The Dungeon Maker is very limited now but it is still described as beta. The developers mentioned hoping to implement dialogue trees, quests, and merchants (There's already a mod that lets you create merchants now). Complex scripting is not going to happen, but on the positive side it's very easy to learn. I think people could do a lot with it once you can designate quest items, a and have dialogue w/ skill checks. Even with the limitations now people are making some pretty interesting modules, though they tend to be very combat focused. I started to tinker with a stealth module but I really need to be able to award XP when you reach locations so players aren't stuck at level one forever.
Last edited by daveyd; September 29th, 2021 at 19:25.
daveyd is offline

daveyd

daveyd's Avatar
Turn-based lifeform

#18

Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: PA
Posts: 2,040
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
+1:

Default 

September 29th, 2021, 19:25
Originally Posted by daveyd View Post
I think the official campaign is about as complete as it's going to get (aside from remaining bugfixes). The upcoming DLC is going to add barbarian and druid classes and some other features (increasing level cap from 10 to 12 has been mentioned), but no new quests / locations. I suppose it's possible they will do a DLC campaign down the line, but if they do I have a feeling it would just be a standalone adventure meant for new characters.
Are Barbarian and Druid going to be the final additions as far as classes? I thought there was talk about adding Monk at one point.
JDR13 is offline

JDR13

JDR13's Avatar
SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

#19

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Florida, US
Posts: 31,355
Mentioned: 117 Post(s)

Default 

September 29th, 2021, 19:39
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
Are Barbarian and Druid going to be the final additions as far as classes? I thought there was talk about adding Monk at one point.
Not necessarily the final but I'm sure it'll depend on how the DLC sells. Monks, Bards, and Warlocks will be the only classes left in the 5e SRD so if they do another class DLC it would probably be two of those.

As far as races go, they could add half-orc or dragonborn.
daveyd is offline

daveyd

daveyd's Avatar
Turn-based lifeform

#20

Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: PA
Posts: 2,040
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
+1:
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Solasta - [Dev] Chill stream
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT +2. The time now is 11:10.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by DragonByte Security (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright by RPGWatch