What games are you playing now? - Page 713 - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » What games are you playing now?

Default What games are you playing now?

October 4th, 2021, 18:08
Originally Posted by pibbuR View Post
LOTRO. Currently in the castle of Seregost, which like the rest of Mordor is a nice place to be.

pibbuR who - not good for RPG credibility - likes several MMO's, but LOTRO is the only one he's playing regularly.

PS. What I like about LOTRO? The setting. And all the really dreary places: Angmar, parts of Moria, Mirkwood and above all: Mordor. What I'm not so happy about: the monetization, but I'm very good at not paying attention to things like that. (And also, if the game is to survive, and new content being made, they need some kind of money). DS.
I was looking for a new old game to play the other day & while browsing Metacritic 2003 PC games and various years near there I got extremely tempted to try out the series of LotR games that came out at that time in conjunction with the movies.

Sure, they all had appalling reviews and scores, but I can't help feeling they'd have some fun value. Alas, none of them were available on GoG.

So I'm currently playing Children of the Nile every now and then. Just in the tutorial stage ATM, so can't report on it's playability much at this time.

lackblogger

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)

October 6th, 2021, 00:04
I tried a few more demos from the Steam Next Fest today.

Book of Adventum - An open-word action-adventure with a steampunk setting. Doesn't seem bad. The production values are definitely indie-level, but I can see some potential. The demo gives you a chunk of map to explore and several quests.

Exo One - An exploration focused game where you pilot an odd sphere-like craft through different worlds. Wasn't really sure what to think of it.

Fallen World - Billed as a Survival-Horror Dinosaur game inspired by Jurassic Park. The demo is 15-20 minutes long and pretty pointless. Seems like complete shit.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 121 Post(s)
+1:

October 6th, 2021, 01:24
I also tried a couple of games from the Steam Next Fest today:

Dread Delusion
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1…read_Delusion/
Think early Elder Scrolls RPGs on acid. The visuals will make your eyes bleed, but I find something intriguing about the setting. The writing's not bad either.
I wishlisted it, because I'm kinda nuts.

Tunic
https://store.steampowered.com/app/553420/TUNIC/
Aesthetically beautiful Zelda-like which I've had my eye on for years. In practice, yeah, it's pretty, but it feels a bit… hollow? I'll keep an eye on it, but not as interested as I was before.
--
Proud leader of the Shit Games Liberation Front
All your shit games are belong to us

FIRST KNIGHT OF THE ORDER OF THE BLOB
Last edited by Shagnak; October 6th, 2021 at 01:34.

Shagnak

SGLF Founder

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)

October 6th, 2021, 01:56
Mainly ESO with a bit of PF:KM because of the hype around the WotR release
--
"You will find your death pleasant, but your fate unbearable." - Hionhurn the Executioner

KaosWarMonk

Keeper of the Watch

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

October 6th, 2021, 10:35
A couple more demos.

Forgive me Father - A first-person shooter in a Lovecraft type setting. It has a weird comic book art style that I didn't like at first. The game sort of grew on me though, and I was enjoying it by the end of the demo which is 3 decent sized levels.

Astlibra - A 2D action RPG. Nice art style and music. It reminds me of Castlevania: Symphony of the Night. It's rare for me to get into a side-scroller anymore, but I'm enjoying this one. Wishlisted.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

October 6th, 2021, 15:19
Time to scratch that single player first person shooter itch.

I don't play multiplayer games, so one of the only series that let me do that is Far Cry. Far Cry 6 drops tomorrow and the reviews are all variations of "this is not much different than but also probably the best version yet of the Far Cry formula", which is absolutely fine with me.

JFarrell71

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)

October 6th, 2021, 15:23
Originally Posted by pibbuR View Post

PS. What I like about LOTRO? The setting. And all the really dreary places: Angmar, parts of Moria, Mirkwood and above all: Mordor. What I'm not so happy about: the monetization, but I'm very good at not paying attention to things like that. (And also, if the game is to survive, and new content being made, they need some kind of money). DS.
I have a Founder subscription still. And probably around 60,000 Turbine Lotro? points because of it. I still haven't played at all in at least 6 years. The game was absolutely magical during Angmar and Moria releases. Later expansions (that I played) just didn't feel the same however - plus the pigeonholing of monetization into previously immersive UIs didn't help matters.

Drithius

Laughing Gnome

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)

October 6th, 2021, 22:42
playing a VR tabletop RPG called Demeo on an Oculus Quest 2 headset

It's pretty great, I'm having a good time with it.
I thought VR would be gimmicky, but so far I'm pretty blown away with it

xSamhainx

Paws of Doom
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)

October 7th, 2021, 03:55
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
Skullstone - A Grimrock style dungeon crawler. One of the best real-time blobbers I've played since LoG 2. Nice old-school RPG feel and atmosphere. Wishlisted.
Just tried this one. Yep, pretty good. I also wishlisted it.
--
Proud leader of the Shit Games Liberation Front
All your shit games are belong to us

FIRST KNIGHT OF THE ORDER OF THE BLOB

Shagnak

SGLF Founder

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
+1:

October 7th, 2021, 08:30
Not much time for games these days sadly, end of year crunch is approaching together with tons of social responsibilities. But I'm managing to put some time into Subnautica Below Zero now and then, just do a dive or two when I get some free time, and I'm having quite some fun.

It's a game I can recommend even if it's not really a RPG, it's just such a beautiful and chill way to spend some personal time (desperate scrambles back to the surface when you run out of oxygen aside!).

Nereida

Banned

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)

October 7th, 2021, 10:19
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
Talk about a slow burn.

That's a lot of hours for a single playthrough of TW3 though. I had around 160 without the expansions, and I was pretty OCD about it.
Pretty slow, yeah. I like to explore every nook and cranny - I have all the map markers disabled in order to get at least a little bit of satisfaction out of exploration. Though those 300h are not all actual play time, I sometimes leave the game running while doing chores.
And then I sometimes get bored and drop the game for a while, only to pick it up later. At this point it's a bit of a chore, but I would like to finish it if only for the story.
--
Exitus acta probat.

wiretripped

Machiavellian
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
+1:

October 7th, 2021, 19:35
Yey, they finally released Blade of Darkness on Steam/GOG. It works just as good as I remembered it, but at an ultrawide resolution. They even put in achievements. Other than that it's pretty much the same game. So it's perfect.

It's also only 10 euros so it's more than fair enough. I even got it on GoG just to have a good working drm-less version.

danutz_plusplus

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
+1:

October 7th, 2021, 19:53
I'm on hiatus. Nothing is grabbing my attention at the moment. I'm sure Starfield will fix that if something doesn't pop up sooner.
--
c-computer, r-role, p-playing, g-game, nut-extreme fan
=crpgnut or just
'nut @crpgnut
aka survivalnut

crpgnut

Survival Game Nut
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)

October 7th, 2021, 23:02
The Dragoness: Command of the Flame - It's a HoMM-like game that doesn't currently have a release date, but you can play the demo on Steam. To say it was inspired by HoMM is an understatement. It pretty much rips it off in every way, but I suppose that's not a bad thing if you like HoMM. It doesn't bring anything new to the table though.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1…_of_the_Flame/

I also finally got around to trying the demo for Disciples: Liberation. I wasn't impressed. It doesn't seem terrible, but it just feels very generic to me.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

October 8th, 2021, 13:58
Still enjoying myself in Blade of Darkness. I constantly have to keep in mind that I need to have patience and not just spam attacks, trying to finish encounters as fast as possible. I tried a different character to what I usually play, knight. And I really don't see why Zoe the Ranger is labelled as the easiest to play with. Tukaram the barbarian is also fairly hard, but he's known to be that way. Knight is still the easiest all around, for me.

Man, the combat is still as challenging as I remember it. You really have to take your time and only attack when it's clear to do so. Also, the AI really has a way of turning the advantage. I especially love it when they manage to block my attack, and then I take some time to recover from the stun caused by the block. It's sad so few games take this care of their combat systems.

And even though it's only at the start, I'm glad people are enjoying it.

danutz_plusplus

SasqWatch

+1:

October 9th, 2021, 16:29
Man, I'm really plowing through Blade of Darkness. I'm around halfway through the game, just cleared Shalatuwar. Man what fantastic level design some of the levels have. They really wind on themselves, plenty of hidden locations that I completely forgot about. Really fun and mind bending to keep track of. I especially loved Isle of Karum.

But there still are moments that are infuriating. I can't remeber if this bug was in the original, but I sometimes find myself clipping through the enemy that I spam with slashes. And then the lockon gets screwed up.

Nice to see that the nr of players keeps increasing, and the positive % is still at around 95. I'd love it if this game found new life, with a new audience. But I'm afraid the clunkyness really won't help it. And most players are too superficial to stick with it. But I hope it does manage to do at least decently financially. I hope it's not a bust for the publisher. Since it's a really small one. That's basically why I keep posting about it. And also got copies for both Steam and GOG. And gifted another copy.

danutz_plusplus

SasqWatch

October 9th, 2021, 17:13
Originally Posted by danutz_plusplus View Post
Man, I'm really plowing through Blade of Darkness.
Ooh - you've really got me excited to reinstall this! Apparently having bought it whenever on GoG & Steam gave me the updated version as well. Always loved this game - felt like the original Rune got more love, but I preferred this one.
--
-- Mike

txa1265

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)

October 9th, 2021, 17:25
Originally Posted by txa1265 View Post
Ooh - you've really got me excited to reinstall this! Apparently having bought it whenever on GoG & Steam gave me the updated version as well. Always loved this game - felt like the original Rune got more love, but I preferred this one.
Nice. I think I also had the previous version on GOG, but I never noticed it giving it to me for free. Anyway, I'd rather just get it again.

It's running really well. It does have some visual glitches, but they're fairly rare. And it runs beautifully at 3440x1440. That's reason enough to get it, for me.
I never managed to get into Rune, though I heard plenty about it. Severance: Blade of Darkness (I think this was the title in the EU?) was it for me. I never managed to advance very much when I played it as a kid, since it was pretty horrifying and the music especially unnerved the hell out of me. That always left a mark. And the first fights against the Orcs. Holy shit were they scary.

danutz_plusplus

SasqWatch

October 9th, 2021, 22:26
I'm getting deeper into Forever Home, it's a fairly robust game, especially for one in the rpg maker style. One issue I've had, and it caused me to pause for a bit until I found a solution, is that there is no way to decrease or eliminate the audio in the game. So I had to resort to other chicanery, yet in the end, sheer will prevailed. On with the gaming!

Carnifex

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)

October 9th, 2021, 22:52
Originally Posted by danutz_plusplus View Post
I never managed to get into Rune, though I heard plenty about it. Severance: Blade of Darkness (I think this was the title in the EU?) was it for me. I never managed to advance very much when I played it as a kid, since it was pretty horrifying and the music especially unnerved the hell out of me. That always left a mark. And the first fights against the Orcs. Holy shit were they scary.
I thought Rune was pretty good for its time, though I'm not sure how well it's aged. You can get it on GOG.

It's probably similar to BoD in that, if you didn't play it back then, it might be kind of hard to get into now.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » What games are you playing now?