RPGWatch Forums » Games » General RPG » Couchpotato's Random RPG News

Default Couchpotato's Random RPG News

October 4th, 2021, 16:10
Originally Posted by Couchpotato View Post
Tiny Tina's Wonderlands Official Gameplay Reveal Trailer
Just watched this trailer.

This is so crazy.

And that's why I like it.

If only it has been a little bit more slower …
… I guess that I'm too old for so much action now …

… Seriously, why can't the cool games be more … thoughtful ? Like the Dungeon of Naheulbeuk, maybe ?
--
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)

October 4th, 2021, 17:56
Yeah Alrik, that Tiny Tina game looks pretty interesting to me. Looks like something that could be completely bonkers, and I hope that's just the way it plays!

Carnifex

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)

October 4th, 2021, 18:09
Originally Posted by Carnifex View Post
Yeah Alrik, that Tiny Tina game looks pretty interesting to me. Looks like something that could be completely bonkers, and I hope that's just the way it plays!
Did you play the predecessor "Tiny Tina's Assault on Dragon Keep" (a DLC for Borderlands 2)? Very funny and with many references to RPGs, movies and TV series!

bkrueger

Nothing to see here.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)

October 4th, 2021, 21:34
No, I've not played that. I played the first Borderlands and, with the ridiculous respawn that the game produced, I decided the franchise just wasn't for me. Sound like I might have missed something hilarious!

Carnifex

SasqWatch

October 6th, 2021, 00:07
Wasteland 3 Cult of the Holy Detonation Released - Steam

loading…
Wasteland 3: Cult of the Holy Detonation is now available for PC, Xbox, and PlayStation!

Cult of the Holy Detonation brings together years of experience developing Wasteland 3, allowing us to create some of our best environments, creatures, weapons, and designs, and put them all into the subterranean, mutant-infested government stronghold of Cheyenne Mountain. It's a blast.

The Desert Rangers will once again need to dive into a messy situation, sort out the major players and their motivations, and if necessary, take them to task. In true Wasteland fashion your decisions can have wide-reaching repercussions, and the decisions you've made up until this point can and will impact how the events within Cheyenne Mountain play out. This expansion also introduces objective-based combats, which are marquee events that require you to use your squad in new and unexpected ways. It's going to put even the most battle-hardened among you to the test. For an extra challenge, try it on Supreme Jerk, with difficult skill checks and permadeath turned on, while being level 16. We dare you.

We're excited to see players jump into this final piece of the Ranger story in Colorado and are eager to hear what you think.
Matt Chat ATOM RPG

loading…
This episode features a 2-hour look at the game ATOM, a Fallout & Wasteland inspired game set in the post-apoc Soviet Union.
Stoneshard Update - City of Gold Release Date
Let's start with the release date: as many of you might already know, the City of Gold update was moved to November due to a number of reasons. And today we're ready to announce its exact release date - November 18. This date is final, so make sure to set up a reminder!
The Iron Oath Update #60 - New Environments
Hey everyone! We've been hard at work these past two months: finalizing quest content, polishing and bug fixing, and creating and implementing some new environments. We're still working long hours at the moment, so this month's update will be brief, but we did want to share a sneak peek at 4 new environments we've added to the game:
--
“Opinions are like assholes, everybody's got one and everyone thinks everyone else's stinks.”

Couchpotato

Professional Shitposter

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)

October 6th, 2021, 05:00
Originally Posted by Couchpotato View Post
Wasteland 3 Cult of the Holy Detonation Released
Well, they almost called it the Children of Atom, but I guess their lawyers saved them at the last minute
--
c-computer, r-role, p-playing, g-game, nut-extreme fan
=crpgnut or just
'nut @crpgnut
aka survivalnut

crpgnut

Survival Game Nut
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)

October 6th, 2021, 10:57
Holy Detonation ? Reminds me of a certain Monty Python movie …
--
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

October 6th, 2021, 15:02
Originally Posted by Alrik Fassbauer View Post
Holy Detonation ? Reminds me of a certain Monty Python movie …
"And the Lord spake, saying, "First shalt thou take out the Holy Pin. Then, shalt thou count to three. No more. No less. Three shalt be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, nor either count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three. Five is right out. Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then, lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch towards thy foe, who, being naughty in My sight, shall snuff it."

JFarrell71

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)

October 7th, 2021, 03:34
Dragon's Dogma-inspired ARPG Arise of Awakener Announced

loading…
Arise of Awakener is a single-player, open-map action role-playing game set in a fantasy world based upon medieval Europe. In this world, players will ride dragons, command airships, and partake in engaging combat encounters against a collection of fantastical creatures as they take on the role of an adventurer and embark on a path of revenge and redemption.
Without Judgement Retro ARPG Gameplay Teaser

loading…
Without Judgement is a third or first person open world immersive sim rpg. Set in the futuristic version Florida, you are going to be able to freely explore the many cities and settlements across the state. Experience engaging and dynamic quests and random encounters which can be solved in multiple ways in a crime filled neo-noire world.
Starfield Boasts 150,000 Lines of Dialogue, and That Has Me Worried - EM
Did you know Starfield is going to have over 150,000 lines of dialogue? I did, and I honestly wish I didn’t, because it’s crushing my hopes that this upcoming sci-RPG will be anything other than Bethesda by the numbers.

In case you missed this Starfield claim from Todd Howard, it took place at the Tokyo Game Show, and while he was likely referring to Japanese-language dialogue, the English-language numbers will be comparable — so that’s over twice as many words as in The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim and a good chunk more than in Fallout 4.

However, while boasting about the quantity of dialogue an RPG or action RPG has is nothing new, it’s not a great look for Bethesda. Yes, Skyrim’s “arrow in the knee” line will live forever in memedom, but when it comes to Bethesda’s post-Morrowind first-party games, the bulk of its dialogue is serviceable at best.

Don’t believe me? Try thinking about Fallout 3, Fallout 4, Oblivion, Skyrim, and so on, preferably one of those you’ve not played in a while. Which memories fill you with joy? Shouting someone off a cliff? Shooting the Institute’s leader in the face just to show you’re nobody’s lapdog? Slaughtering your first dragon? Uncovering the horrific experiments Vault-Tec inflicted on the people they claimed to be saving?

Because chances are that few, if any of those memorable experiences hinged on dialogue. Murdering people in a mansion was fun, but my victims’ paranoia could just as well have been conveyed through their behavior. Yes, I got and still get a major kick out of Fallout 3 and Skyrim, and I’ve ploughed hours and hours and hours into them. But their dialogue is rarely what makes them worth my time.
--
“Opinions are like assholes, everybody's got one and everyone thinks everyone else's stinks.”

Couchpotato

Professional Shitposter

October 7th, 2021, 13:03
Don't worry, most of those 150k lines are surely generated by the new Radiant engine

Redglyph

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Team

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)

October 7th, 2021, 13:46
Yes, Skyrim’s “arrow in the knee” line will live forever in memedom, but when it comes to Bethesda’s post-Morrowind first-party games, the bulk of its dialogue is serviceable at best.

Don’t believe me? Try thinking about Fallout 3, Fallout 4, Oblivion, Skyrim, and so on, preferably one of those you’ve not played in a while. Which memories fill you with joy? Shouting someone off a cliff? Shooting the Institute’s leader in the face just to show you’re nobody’s lapdog? Slaughtering your first dragon? Uncovering the horrific experiments Vault-Tec inflicted on the people they claimed to be saving?

Because chances are that few, if any of those memorable experiences hinged on dialogue. Murdering people in a mansion was fun, but my victims’ paranoia could just as well have been conveyed through their behavior. Yes, I got and still get a major kick out of Fallout 3 and Skyrim, and I’ve ploughed hours and hours and hours into them. But their dialogue is rarely what makes them worth my time.
This doesn't make a lot of sense, to me. I mean, the dialog may only be serviceable, but it's probably a necessary part of what created those more enjoyable scenarios the writer describes. In a Beth game, I'd think that the amount of dialog is just a function of how much quest content there is.
--
"I cannot define the real problem, therefore I suspect there's no real problem, but I'm not sure there's no real problem."
Richard Feynman

Ripper

Ngikufisela iwela
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 110 Post(s)

October 7th, 2021, 16:39
I'm trying to recall dialog from any game ever and I almost come up blank.

There was an elevator shooter on the C-64: How nice! A visitor! Stay awhile. Stay Forever!!!!!

"I am Sheltem, Guardian of Terra. Twice now you have defeated my tests, thinking yourself worthy of invading my world. Walk carefully then through this third challenge, and take heed your final decision is truly what you desire - for the course of destiny cannot be turned once set in motion…"

The arrow to the knee, just because it's been covered by everything everywhere but also, “Do you get to the cloud district very often? Oh, what am I saying? Of course you don't.”

I think I just read too much in general for me to memorize lines from anything much. Mostly older stuff as my brain is aging and doesn't recall as well.
--
c-computer, r-role, p-playing, g-game, nut-extreme fan
=crpgnut or just
'nut @crpgnut
aka survivalnut

crpgnut

Survival Game Nut
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)

October 7th, 2021, 18:41
There is a lot of dialogue I have enjoyed but I don't think its reasonable for anyone to really remember dialogue outside of having a really, really good memory.

I remember general things like was the story good? Was the writing overall enjoyable to me? Did I find the character dialogue and story engaging and fun?

If I were to focus some time to start digging through memories of games, story, characters, and the like I am sure some dialogue would pop up. Like I can already hear in my head Alistair replying to Morrigan in DAO "Swooping is bad" or Morrigan saying through clenched teeth "Yes. I. Can. Cook." Followed with details about how she knows all kinds of poisons and deadly plants. Some of the dialogue between Alistair and Morrigan is the best in any game I have played.

I also have fond memories of many of the dialogues with MacCready in FO4 as he is my all time favorite companion in any game, next to Alistair and Minsc … and probably a couple others I am not remembering at the moment.

I liked the dialogue in much of FO4 but for all my love, and thousands of hours, playing Skyrim I felt Skyrim was really lacking in good dialogue and had crappy followers outside of Serana. I mean I like Eric and others but minimal dialogue and not much going on with any of the companions. That was a very weak point for me in Skyrim. It was way better in FO4 and I hope they continue in that direction with companions for future games.

I enjoyed dialogue/story for FNV, DAO, BG, Outer Worlds, Mass Effect Series, and probably a few others. I have always liked Bioware, when they actually existed, writing myself.

EDIT: I also love the story in WOTR and how epic it is. Enjoy the characters and dialogue a lot but don't think that counts as it is all very fresh in my mind right now. I have been trying to think of older games where I recall certain dialogue that I can still remember. The games I listed above are the main ones that seem to stand out so far in memory.
--
Character is centrality, the impossibility of being displaced or overset. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

wolfgrimdark

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)

October 7th, 2021, 18:42
It's Bethesda their witting has always been mediocre. It's a shame Obsidian's Fallout NV has better dialogue and writing, and Witcher III puts all their games to shame.

I enjoyed playing Fallout 4 but the dialogue wheel and one button choices ruined immersion. Like usual you need a mod to revert it back to Fallout 3 and NV style.

See Beth's problem is every new game they release gets simplified more and more.
--

Couchpotato

Professional Shitposter

October 7th, 2021, 19:17
@Couchpotato

Sorry, I don't remember where we were talking about Internet speeds, but this is related to that.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnb…in-the-us.html

Pladio

Guardian of Nonsense
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)

October 7th, 2021, 21:40
What was that with the "arrow in the knee" ? I appear to have missed that …
--

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

October 7th, 2021, 21:48
Originally Posted by Alrik Fassbauer View Post
What was that with the "arrow in the knee" ? I appear to have missed that …
loading…

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)

October 7th, 2021, 22:00
If you've no idea what that term means, Alrik, you've literally succeeded in life. And from what I've read of your posts over the years, the game that that term derives from likely wouldn't be to your liking.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

October 8th, 2021, 04:07
I somehow missed this article when it came out:

https://www.pcgamer.com/the-long-roa…der-kingmaker/

It covers how the 'romance ending' was discovered in Pathfinder: Kingmaker.
--
The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views….
-- Doctor Who in "Face of Evil"

Zloth

I smell a… wumpus!?

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
+1:

October 8th, 2021, 05:23
Originally Posted by Zloth View Post
I somehow missed this article when it came out:

https://www.pcgamer.com/the-long-roa…der-kingmaker/

It covers how the 'romance ending' was discovered in Pathfinder: Kingmaker.
Yeah, I found that pretty interesting. It exemplifies how Owlcat likes to make some things hard simply for the sake of being hard.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
+1:

Tags
interviews, mods, previews, reviews, videos
RPGWatch Forums » Games » General RPG » Couchpotato's Random RPG News