Gloomhaven - First Look

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
lionheartx10 checked out Gloomhaven:

TACTICAL RPG DIGITAL BOARDGAME ADVENTURE! Gloomhaven First Look Gameplay

Thanks to Asmodee Digital for Sponsoring This Video! When Boardgames come to Life! After 2 Years of Early Access, Gloomhaven has reached its full released! Based on the Epic Boardgame of the same name, Gloomhaven is a Tactical Turn-Based RPG Adventure, available for adventuring Solo, or Via Online Coop!
More information.

It's really good and I am not good at it yet;)

So it's finally and truly released after all those years of delays?:biggrin:

I got it as it looks like something that I would like. I had to retry the first scenario 4 times to get it. :D

I think I may need to go through all the tutorials.

The game is quite unforgiving.

What I am uncertain about is whether it's OK to lose and retry or whether a restart is the better option?

Anyone know?

The first scenario of the campaign is famously difficult, in the board game for years, as it is not a tutorial or easy scenario. That often prompts new players to post on board game geek dot com to ask for tips and probably many do not post and just learn from what didn't work the first (or fourth) time.

One tip is to act late in round 1 (choose a very high number initiative card first for each character) so you let the guards move towards you without being able to reach you to attack, then you can move up and attack them near the end of round 1 and attack again early in round 2 without taking any damage until later in round 2 only by those who survive.

I don't think it matters whether you restart or lose and retry. I have not tried the computer game's campaign (I finished 3 full play-throughs of the campaign using the board game a couple of years ago) as I am still working my way through the fun guildmaster mode, but I suspect that lose and retry would work best just as a guess.

Going through the tutorials is probably a very good approach for a new or returning player. I have not read about how good the tutorials are, but the rest of the game is quality so I would think that the tutorials would be good.

As a veteran of the board game I’m actually having more trouble with the digital version too. I thought it would be easier because of the ability to coordinate your characters abilities more easily (in the board game there are rules limiting communication during card selection). But I think it really helped having multiple heads looking at the board at once and warning each other if you were about to do something stupid.

Learning when to pick slow initiatives is definitely an advanced skill. Used properly it can turn the tide. Used poorly you can lose a turn as enemies stay still and never move into range or cause you to take massive damage as the enemies all unexpectedly move further than normal and attack you before you can do anything. Learning what abilities are in the various monster decks can help a lot. Something else harder about the digital version is that I don’t think you can look at the monster deck discard piles.

The first scenario of the campaign is famously difficult, in the board game for years, as it is not a tutorial or easy scenario. That often prompts new players to post on board game geek dot com to ask for tips and probably many do not post and just learn from what didn't work the first (or fourth) time.

One tip is to act late in round 1 (choose a very high number initiative card first for each character) so you let the guards move towards you without being able to reach you to attack, then you can move up and attack them near the end of round 1 and attack again early in round 2 without taking any damage until later in round 2 only by those who survive.

I don't think it matters whether you restart or lose and retry. I have not tried the computer game's campaign (I finished 3 full play-throughs of the campaign using the board game a couple of years ago) as I am still working my way through the fun guildmaster mode, but I suspect that lose and retry would work best just as a guess.

Going through the tutorials is probably a very good approach for a new or returning player. I have not read about how good the tutorials are, but the rest of the game is quality so I would think that the tutorials would be good.

love the idea of making them walk to you and waste their attack.

Back
Top Bottom