Mass Effect: Andromeda - Combat P1

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
Mass Effect: Andromeda has revealed its combat in this video.

Welcome to the Mass Effect: Andromeda gameplay series. In this video, learn all about combat. Battle with weaponry from an alien galaxy, outmaneuver enemies with your jump-jet, and unlock the power of Biotics. In Mass Effect: Andromeda, you are on a mission to find a new home for humanity. How far will you go?
More information.

I find it hilarious that they brought back the weapon skill lines from ME1 and the overheat mechanics.

I looked at the clip and I just feel...tired. *wham*bam*pow* looks somewhat like Halo? I guess there was a lot of combat in the other ME games, but that seems to be most of what they show off for ME:A. I'm feeling less and less motivated to get this, unless it's at a huge discount at some distant point in the future.

So you can't pause and issue commands anymore? I hate that, that was my playstyle in all previous Mass Effects.

What the hell?! This was boring as hell. So dry and vague.

Oh,and where is the bashing of ME:A because the jet pack...like ELEX.

This place really has no love for Bioware.

Looks pretty solid, at least something more substantial this time. Gunplay, hit animations and AI ( companions seems to be running headlong, ahh, Inquisition memories...) seem low-q, but maneuverability and shit load of abilities make up for it.
Env design could be more interesting for it's setting.

Isnt out there enough sites that love Bioware (or EA's favour? :) )? We are at RPG site here, we have sense for "greater balance". ;)

I'm definitely not touching this one until all the DLC shows up so there isn't much point in trying to judge how good/bad it will be.

At least Bioware is consistent. Each iteration of ME significantly downgrades the combat from the previous version. 3 sequels, 3 straight butcherings of combat.

Looks pretty solid, at least something more substantial this time. Gunplay, hit animations and AI ( companions seems to be running headlong, ahh, Inquisition memories…) seem low-q, but maneuverability and shit load of abilities make up for it.
Env design could be more interesting for it's setting.

I agree. It seems good to me. I like that there seem to be a lot of character development/stat choices, and hopefully they make a noticeable difference.

I prefer my real-time shooting to be somewhat slow-paced, using cover not run-'n'-gun, so we will see if that is a viable playstyle here. The only way to determine that is to wait for it to be released. That has worked in the first three MEs.

At least Bioware is consistent. Each iteration of ME significantly downgrades the combat from the previous version. 3 sequels, 3 straight butcherings of combat.

I thought the combat in ME3 was actually a little better than ME2. It certainly had more variety at least.

You got that backward. Each game has improved combat over the precedent one.

Mass Effect 1 as probably the worst implementation of cover shooting ever made. Not only is it bugged like hell, it's awfully clunky to use too. It has like 2 enemy types - humanoids that attack at a distance and stuff that rush you (rachni, husk, creepers) - and shooting your pistol is the fastest way to kill anything in the game regardless of class. I replayed it twice last Fall.

ME2 is an improvement in term of usability, but still a bit clunky (Vanguard charge and squad-mate abilities targeting is finicky). It adds more variety in term of enemy types forcing you to use your class abilities to strip defenses or switch ammo/weapons and offer more individuality to classes. ME3 is a polished version of ME2 systems with more class individuality and a few more enemy types (like centurion and banshee).

The squad AI is dumb like a brick in all the games.

MEA, going by the video, is build on ME3 with a new cover system, more melee options (it was class based in ME3) and a jetpack for more mobility and a vertical tactical option. I'm not sure what you call a downgrade among that.

Back
Top Bottom