Favorite game console

N

NewDArt

So, do you have a favorite console - and why?

For me, I think it has to be the Sega Dreamcast. I always thought it was such a great little machine with plenty of great games. Should have been more successful, but alas :(

Xbox - I really enjoyed playing Fusion Frenzy and Halo series with hubby :)

Second up is Nintendo - why? One word. POKEMON!!!

TurboGrafx-16

Back in the day it was way ahead of it's time.

Had some great games like military madness.

Not really a console guy anymore but it has to be the N64 for me.

Killer instinct + GoldenEye 007 :)

Just one console?

Okay then. My favorite is Nintendo 64DD.
Never heard of it? Of course you didn't - it failed. Of 100K manufactured units, only 15K were sold.
IGN summarized the 64DD as "an appealing creativity package"[5] "targeted at a certain type of user"[1] "that delivered a well-designed user-driven experience"—and a "limited online experiment at the same time", which partially fulfilled Nintendo president Hiroshi Yamauchi's "longtime dream of a network that connects Nintendo consoles all across the nation"

Why is it my favorite? Because it was treated by the audience as all overpriced garbage should: boycotted.

It would have to be my first PS3. Not only did it play PS3 games, but also the huge PS2 JRPG library of games that I could buy for like $5 or less (pre-owned) at Gamestop. It also let me watch Netflix, and acted as my DVD player. Not only that, but it played my downloaded movies from the network.

I was very fond of my GameCube. Rogue Squadron (or whatever that GameCube exclusive Star wars game was called) was awesome. Such a shame it was never released on PC. Also, Eternal Darkness: Sanitys requiem was great. And there was a great FPS Metroid game as well.

I was very fond of my GameCube. Rogue Squadron (or whatever that GameCube exclusive Star wars game was called) was awesome. Such a shame it was never released on PC. Also, Eternal Darkness: Sanitys requiem was great. And there was a great FPS Metroid game as well.

I tried an emulated version of Eternal Darkness a few years ago and it was clearly a great game! Reminds me I should give it another try.

This is too tough for me. My first was Atari, then NES, but the two that changed my life were Gameboy and then SNES. Then later PS1 was huge for me, PS2 pretty huge, and beyond that it starts to dwindle a bit. Although I did enjoy the original Xbox + Xbox 360, too.

I'd say SNES is my most loved system. It had the biggest impact on me, as those were the days my older sister's boyfriend would leave a rented game in the tray overnight, and I'd wake up like it was Christmas, run to the SNES and play it. And later walking to the local mom n' pops video store to look through all the games, spotting a little game called Final Fantasy IV, and my love of RPGs was born. :)

Modern day, I like emulating Nintendo DS and PSP, too. My tablet is sort of my handheld play everything console now.

All those consoles sans Gameboy have a bunch of great RPGs, too. By the PS1/PS2, RPGs were just getting ridirkulously cool. Good memories, man. Thanks for the reminder, DART! :)

My first console was a NES, but the SNES takes the throne for me. Oh, the hours I wasted on that one in my youth...

So, do you have a favorite console - and why?

For me, I think it has to be the Sega Dreamcast. I always thought it was such a great little machine with plenty of great games. Should have been more successful, but alas :(

Second this.

Except for the Xboxes and handhelds, I've owned every console mentioned in this thread. :)

I liked the Dreamcast, but I don't recall it having many good titles. I purchased it just to play Resident Evil: Code Veronica which was an exclusive at the time, and I didn't regret it. The only other Dreamcast game I recall owning was a Japanese survival-horror title called Blue Stinger.

I spent untold hours with both the NES and SNES when I was a kid, and I also played a ton of games on the Sega Genesis.

I also had a Sega Master System during the NES days, and I liked it just as much as the NES even though it was much less popular.

I'm not sure if I could name a favorite though. If I go by the amount of time spent using it then it would probably have been the NES.

TurboGrafx-16

Back in the day it was way ahead of it's time.

Had some great games like military madness.

Indeed, the TurboGrafx-16 had some good games. I'm surprised it wasn't more popular to be honest. I thought the visuals and sound were superior to the Mega Drive/Genesis, but I guess it wasn't marketed as well.

My favorite game was probably R-Type. I used to love that game, and the TG-16 port was nearly arcade perfect.

Gotta say I liked the Mega Drive. But it was the first console I bought, so probably a bit of nostalgia involved there though... The N64 was a good one too.

Indeed, the TurboGrafx-16 had some good games. I'm surprised it wasn't more popular to be honest. I thought the visuals and sound were superior to the Mega Drive/Genesis, but I guess it wasn't marketed as well.

My favorite game was probably R-Type. I used to love that game, and the TG-16 port was nearly arcade perfect.

It was hard to get games up here in Canada for it and none of the big change rental places rented them. Where with all the other systems you could rent all of their games.

Except for the Xboxes and handhelds, I've owned every console mentioned in this thread. :)

I liked the Dreamcast, but I don't recall it having many good titles. I purchased it just to play Resident Evil: Code Veronica which was an exclusive at the time, and I didn't regret it. The only other Dreamcast game I recall owning was a Japanese survival-horror title called Blue Stinger.

I spent untold hours with both the NES and SNES when I was a kid, and I also played a ton of games on the Sega Genesis.

I also had a Sega Master System during the NES days, and I liked it just as much as the NES even though it was much less popular.

I'm not sure if I could name a favorite though. If I go by the amount of time spent using it then it would probably have been the NES.

Soul Reaver, Shenmue, Soul Calibur, Powerstone, need I go on?

Atari 2600. It was my second console, but MOON PATROL!!!

Other than that, I really enjoyed my SNES and my PS2 the most. Though I also liked all the others I had and still have.

The one I liked the least, well, that was probably the SEGA Genesis. It felt so … flimsy.

For me its the classic NES - so many good memories... Sadly, most of the games were rubbish.

Back
Top Bottom