Iron Tower Studio - An Evening with Annie Carlson

I'm still not sure of the whole lower overhead & franchise building thing either personally . . . .

The franchise building should be easy. GTA is a more valuable franchise than Beyond Good & Evil. It just is what it is.

The lower overhead...well, each game from mid-level upwards has a base investment cost due to management, Q&A and PR. That investment can never go below a certain value without risking getting no returns on the investment at all. Then on top of that base, you invest more to make the game more profitable. If you have x million to invest, one project means you only have to do the base once and have x-y=z left to invest. If you do multiple projects, you have x-y-y-y-y<z to invest, meaning those 4 projects would have to outsell the single project by a margin of 3y to balance out.
(oversimplifying)

Especially if the majority of the smaller projects revolve heavily around existing engines & art assets

That's another discussion, because smaller projects of this model are quite popular. They're called DLCs.

The franchise building should be easy. GTA is a more valuable franchise than Beyond Good & Evil. It just is what it is.

I've not even heard of beyond good & evil, how long has it been going & was it a particularly high budget? GTA started out with some very weak low graphics games as well didn't it, not a huge initial outlay even if they've milked it to heck since then.

The lower overhead...well, each game from mid-level upwards has a base investment cost due to management, Q&A and PR. That investment can never go below a certain value without risking getting no returns on the investment at all. Then on top of that base, you invest more to make the game more profitable. If you have x million to invest, one project means you only have to do the base once and have x-y=z left to invest. If you do multiple projects, you have x-y-y-y-y<z to invest, meaning those 4 projects would have to outsell the single project by a margin of 3y to balance out.
(oversimplifying)

Were you talking of gross profit for a game as gross profit excluding management costs? I'd assumed when you were talking of gross profit from the games you'd meant gross profit after everything except tax. Anyway, i think the management, Q&A & PR are massively less for small games than for massive AAA releases, there's so much gaming media around that's so short of real news to talk about that for a small time involvement (mostly on the part of the developers rather than management) you can get a heck of a lot of PR done. And management can be more distant when it's not critical to the entire success of their company, which would be preferable in other ways too.

That's another discussion, because smaller projects of this model are quite popular. They're called DLCs.

I've only played one DLC, and that didn't last nearly long enough to be worth bothering with. Expansion packs as an example maybe?

I've not even heard of beyond good & evil, how long has it been going & was it a particularly high budget? GTA started out with some very weak low graphics games as well didn't it, not a huge initial outlay even if they've milked it to heck since then.

I loved BGE! There's only been one installment in the series, but a sequel has been announced. It's available as a download on some services at least. I bought it off direct2drive and subsequently had them screw me over, because when I wanted to reinstall it they suddenly informed that it was only available in North America and I had to change my profile in order to lie about my location. I'm never buying anything from them again.

Anyway, it's a mid-budget action/adventure game with simple but decent-enough beat-em-up combat and hovercraft-driving/shooting, and lots of puzzles. Its main strengths are a beautiful, personable, and consistent art style, great music, really coolly-written, animated, and voice-acted characters, and an off-beat, unusual world. Stuff like a hovercraft repair shop called Mammago Garage, staffed by Rastafarian rhinoceroses humming cheerful reggae tunes while being bombed by vaguely insectoid aliens, that sort of thing.

800px-Beyond_Good_%26_Evil_Mammago.png

It's one of Pete Jackson's favorite games, if that means anything. Check it out, I think you'll like it.

I think BN brought it up as an example of the kind of mid-budget game that doesn't really exist and always tends to sputter out, due to the f-ed up way the industry is structured.

You make it sound as if this situation is Corporation created and not consumer created. The consumer decided what kinds of games they are willing to pay money for, and the companies are giving it to them. Blaming the companies for making the games people decide are profitable is crazy.
Your point is perfectly valid but not always correct. High-technology companies are often exceptions, sometimes huge exceptions, to that rule of common sense, because their understanding of their field exceeds (sometimes far exceeds) their customers'.

We're able to communicate this way now because we all have connections to the Internet. But it took a huge effort to get carriers to buy into the idea that data communications would ever amount to anything. They were only interested in providing voice services. All the numbers supported them too (and they were astronomical).

I'm outside the problem, but I keep hearing it described the same way. "We need home runs and are only willing to send in home-run hitters." If someone else has a better strategy, then it's up to him to convince the coach to consider it.

Businesses in that position want the same thing coaches in that position want: They want out of that position. It may seem like they're not receptive, because they're veterans who know their business and aren't easily impressed. But present them with a real solution in a way they can understand and then see how fast they change their tune.

Who would balk at a better way to make money? No one. But it really has to be a better way, and it really has be made clear. IMO, that ought to be something a developer sees as part of his job, visualizing and expressing his good idea well enough to get the financing he needs.

You'll have to excuse any odd jargon I use, I'm not used to talking economics in English.

Not to sound rude, but I can’t see you arguing economics at all. I think you mean accounting. A core principle of economics is supply and demand. Consumer’s demand and producer’s supply what is demanded. It’s exactly what I am saying and you are arguing against.

Huh? We have two situations in which games are profitable, only one in which the profit margins are higher for large, centralized corporations. Because for big corporations, more titles means more overhead and diminishing returns, if you're versed in accounting I don't need to explain that.

I’m versed in economics and finance. Finance has some different definitions for common terms, such as value, when compared to economics, which is different compared with accounting. But you can’t say higher overhead without qualifying it, which you haven’t yet. Again, companies are measured by efficiency, and the efficiency can be measured and includes almost all variables, and definitely overhead. A better measure for this discussion is accounting profit or economic profit. I’ll skip ahead to the only qualification I can find for this statement.

(oversimplifying).

This goes against any sort of anything I’ve learned in education and by experience. All factors are variable, and if x is the only investment strategy you would still shoot for the money-line. We have to talk total efficiency of the business, as well as factoring in the strategic plan of the business and why. And also the market. What are the forecasts of projects, etc. Can the company have efficiencies of scale?

It's not very complex. Consumers don't buy as many niche games as they buy mainstream games, this is kind of inherent in the definition of both those terms. Titles can be sold profitably in both areas of gaming, as has been proven constantly. Yet they are produced only in one, because in stock market-driven economies, the bottom line does not allow for both kinds of profitability.

You totally lost me here. Stock-market driven economies as in how? By the owners wanting to be paid dividends. You just said both areas can be profitable, do you think the owners care if the profit came from one area or the other?

It is ridiculously naive to think you can turn niche titles into mainstream titles by shouting buy buy buy at consumers. There will always be niche titles, either because the graphics are low or because the gameplay does not attract enough people. The question is not if we can make every gameplay model sell millions, the question is: why would they have to?

Now we get to something we can actually talk about. Niche vs. mainstream. What is niche and who are the buyers? Are they sophisticated buyers? Why does menu-pricing work in video games (i.e. deluxe/collector’s editions)? Menu pricing is second degree price-discrimination and sucks up consumer surplus. Why are the demands of the niche not being supplied? As to your question, “why would they have to.” I answered in my first post. They don’t. If the niche market is generating economic profit, the big companies will chase it, because, again, the only viable business driver is long-term economic profit. My answer made you talk crazy, and here we are, you still talking crazy.

Why are you using Fallout as an example when I gave you a more recent one? The numbers for Fallout were not made public, it sold 500k lifetime, which is enough to reasonable fund a game with about the same investment that - say - Drakensang got, assuming that 500k is not more than half bargain bin.
It's still selling like hotcakes now, mostly on GoG. You can't easily build that kind of value, but no publisher cares.

Also, you're avoiding my question. Troika's industry model produced a profitable low-risk low-margin TB Iso title. It can not do that anymore? Why not?

Where is Troika? Why couldn’t they get funding? Why is only one of their three titles TB (RT/TB hybrid is not TB)? Why was there last tech-demo of a PA game RT? Did they want it to be RT? What was their answer to that question? The why not I answered as well in my first post. And you answered as well, the market does not react to mid-level titles.

Look at rpg codex’s last year round-up. The codex is supposed to be hard-core crpg lovers, yet it is clear they didn’t even try Avernum 5. Why? Spiderweb doesn’t treat assets as sunk costs. The market (meaning the consumers) demand each game be like a movie. All costs and all assets are sunk-costs. A game’s assets can only be exclusive for that title. And what is the big barrier between low-budget, mid-level, and high-budget game? Graphics. What is the most expensive and resource draining aspect of creating a game? Graphics. What are treated as sunk costs? Graphics. What doesn’t have to? Graphics.

Why are graphics such a huge sales driver? Evil CEO’s or the consumer’s? Consumers. Why can I count all the TB games not released from indy devs this century on one hand? Consumers. Why is one big title more desirable to game companies than 5 mid-level titles or 20 low-level titles? Consumers. Whose demands are the game companies supplying? Consumers.

Whose fault can it only be? Consumers. How can this change? Consumers change what they value, buy independent productions, prove there is economic profit to be made by catering to and supplying the demand of segments who value game-play over graphics. It is the only logical answer.

I really don’t even know what your point is. And I can’t justify continuing this debate unless you clarify your stance. “You’re wrong because of (crazy talk),” doesn’t count. How am I wrong (please don’t use accounting, economic, or business terms unless they are qualified and the qualification makes sense. I.e. “You can't easily build that kind of value, but no publisher cares.” Value? Marketing value? Value in finance means the last price an item sold for. So the value would be $30. I would hope a publisher doesn’t care that much about $30.)

ToEE was Atari's best-selling RPG and second-best selling PC game of 2004. Why are you making me repeat myself?

What was it's competition RPG-wise and non-rpg-wise on Atari’s 2004 menu? Name all the TB rpgs released this century. Name all the RT or Twitch “rpgs” released this century. Why do I have to repeat myself even more than you do, with simple concepts even?

Yes, they are. They're also a lot more expensive, which also means they make for a less stable basis for your industry. That is, in fact, a key part of the argument I'm making. Not entirely sure how you missed that.

Again, what? My industry? What "argument" are you making besides, “You’re wrong,” followed by crazy talk?

Your basic argument, Roqua, is that if TB games weren't a niche - if as many people liked them as currently like WoW or the Sims - they'd be massive hits. So, therefore, it's the public's fault these are niche games. Am I right?

I guess that's fine as far as it goes but it's a pointless argument. People like what they like - apart from tinkering at the edges to influence them with marketing. Given that as an absolute (or close to it), the rest is a matter of how game producers respond to that demand.

No. I’ll reiterate my points for you and Brother None. The industry as it is now is due to consumer values and demands. Management at game companies would probably love not to treat their most expensive assets as sunk costs. Management would probably love to diversify risk. TB games are not mainstream because of the consumer. TB will never be mainstream. A TB rpg will probably never sell as well as a super-fancy FPS (I say TB crpgs are now a niche product and I can qualify this statement by pointing to the a) lack of TB titles this century b) none of the big rpg developers around today make, have made, or plan on making a TB crpg that anyone here can name this century or in the foreseeable future). This is not because of the big game companies, it is because of consumer demand and the market the consumer created. Things can be different, and I stated how, and I will so again. For those who value game play over graphics, challenge over accessibility, etc, support independent titles such as AoD and show that there is economic profit to be gained by catering to niche markets.

I never said TB would be mainstream. I said we, the consumer, are responsible for the current state of things. We can only blame ourselves. If we are not willing to compromise on graphic quality or show that what we want can create economic profit nothing will change and we will always have to lie the bed we made. But trying to pass the buck off to and blame the game companies for a situation we created is retarded. Yes, people will like what they like, and buy what they want, that is supply and demand working correctly. But when we say we want a good rpg to play that includes this, this and that, and we don’t even consider a Spiderweb game, we are shooting ourselves in the foot. We have compromised on every aspect of what we used to value in crpgs, besides graphics. Our spending habits have ensured all games have the best graphics and cater to retards and are diverged of all challenge, and then we whine about it. We demand, they supply, and we cry about it. It’s retarded. Take onwership. If you believe there is a problem and want to affect the situation, do it, or stop whining.

This is insane. If you don't make TB ISO then you can officially call the market dead on them, can't you? Convient isn't it?

What’s insane and what is convient? If you mean convenient, I guess so, but I don’t understand what you are saying. So I’ll agree if you agree to stop confusing me.

Look at rpg codex’s last year round-up. The codex is supposed to be hard-core crpg lovers, yet it is clear they didn’t even try Avernum 5. Why? Spiderweb doesn’t treat assets as sunk costs. The market (meaning the consumers) demand each game be like a movie. All costs and all assets are sunk-costs. A game’s assets can only be exclusive for that title. And what is the big barrier between low-budget, mid-level, and high-budget game? Graphics. What is the most expensive and resource draining aspect of creating a game? Graphics. What are treated as sunk costs? Graphics. What doesn’t have to? Graphics

It is a shame that a lot of people don't see it like that. I know what I want from a Spiderweb game, plenty of text (well above average for CRPG writing), some good tactical battles, a decent plot & setting & branching choices & consequences and enjoyable gameplay, and I do get it from all of them and get a pretty swift flow of releases compared to any alternative business models. I don't want graphics, and don't really care about graphics, and not labouring the graphics in the game design means I get more of what I want more often. It's all about compromise.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see a bigger budget better graphics game in one of those settings but it's still a business model that works for me. I'm also really hopeful that once Avernum 6 is out and the two main IPs are wrapped up that the next graphics & engine will be a bit of a step forward. Not much of a step forward, I'd only like to see something at the eschalon kind of level (graphics wise) which would still be a welcome facelift.

If you are Jeff Vogel do you mind me asking if the financial side of it is turning out okay? I hope so, the spiderweb games have been a steady flow of enjoyable old school gaming that I'd like to see continue.

@ Unregistered: What about the rest of the folks who own PCs? Do you see a market beyond the one that's currently buying video games, and can you imagine a developer ever designing a CRPG that might appeal to those people?

Myself, I think your point about graphics is right, but I'm wondering if interest in those kinds of graphics-heavy video games is ever going to change. That market may just be rock solid. If so, then for an alternative approach to succeed it needs to reach beyond that market.

And look what's there: Millions of people who all own PCs, many of whom also enjoy science-fiction and fantasy-adventure. They aren't buying video games now, but a new approach, one that was different and better, might appeal to them.

Last edited:
Not only am I not Jeff Vogel, but I'm not even Jeff Vogelish. I am not the biggest fan of Vogel’s games. Geneforge has always been a pretty good series, but I think Avernum 5 is one of the top 3 rpgs released this century. It has everything I value in a game. Full party creation, good character development, some decently tough battles, decent choice and consequence, TB combat that is almost as good as ToEE. Avernum 4 had some pretty big flaws in chardev. Games prior to A4 were pretty weak in regards to meaningful chardev and combat was pretty repetitive and overabundant. A5 was a huge step in a direction I think is fantastic. I thought A5 was the last of the series, but if there is an A6 that is now my most anticipated game.

But, as we can see, even people who are willing to try and value independent games have different weights for what they value. I love a choice-heavy and complex character creation and chardev. I love really strategic and tactical TB combat. I love full party-creation. AoD not having a full party brings it down like 50 points in possible goodness to me. Let me min-max a party or stop with the crazy talk about how combat will be good. Combat, in my opinion, will almost never be good in a single character game. Look at eschalon. But, even though combat seems to suck up at least half the time of every game, people seem to have a very high-threshold for when it completely and utterly sucks. I don’t understand how people could like the combat in the IE games, or how people enjoy the combat of NWN2. I couldn’t finish PS:T due to my low-threshold for craptastic combat, even though I loved most of the non-combat parts and really wanted to see the end.

Everyone has their own story of what they like and don’t like.

@ Unregistered: What about the rest of the folks who own PCs? Do you see a market beyond the one that's currently buying video games, and can you imagine a developer ever designing a CRPG that might appeal to those people?

I really am not qualified to answer this. I can’t even see why most “rpgs” appeal to the people who currently buy them. As to market’s beyond, I don’t know. It seems to be the current strategy to water down rpgs to expand the market; but you asked specifically about expanding the market to people who currently don’t buy video games, and to that I can’t even begin to guess at without knowing why they don’t buy them, and even with answers that would be the function of marketing (to create demand where there is none). I’m a finance guy and my job is supposed to be forecasting and making money from debt. Currently, my job seems to be approving budgets for projects. An executive gives the green light way before I can give any sort of projections, which, of course, is backwards. My secondary job seems to be teaching management the terms they needed to understand when sitting at the big table. It’s amazing how ignorant higher-ups can be of common business functions, terms, and measurements.

I really am not qualified to answer this. I can’t even see why most “rpgs” appeal to the people who currently buy them. As to market’s beyond, I don’t know. It seems to be the current strategy to water down rpgs to expand the market; but you asked specifically about expanding the market to people who currently don’t buy video games, and to that I can’t even begin to guess at without knowing why they don’t buy them, and even with answers that would be the function of marketing (to create demand where there is none).
Fair enough (and not bad for someone who's not a marketing guy). I would say it's marketing's job to recognize markets and identify opportunities to cater to them, and I suspect that's exactly what's going on with today's CRPG makers.

There must be new ways computers could be used to host RPGs, ways that would suit turn-based mechanics better than real-time. The original brilliant idea that inspired this genre had nothing at all to do with graphics or special effects. Innovation that would put the emphasis back on that original idea would probably appeal to some people more than arcade-game style graphics.

I've pretty much come to the conclusion that the businessmen running the games industry are not hugely talented individuals and have been captured totally by the blockbuster model. Let's look at things for a moment, remembering that the games industry is supposedly well insulated against the vicissitudes of the market as a whole and is supposed to be still growing at least on a sales basis:

EA: still has cash reserves, but they are rapidly dwindling and it has lost 2/3 of its share value over the last year.
2K: has lost 3/4 of its share value despite GTA4 and has been in trouble for a while now.
Actiblizzard: Contrived a loss last quarter despite having WoW as a billion+ dollar cash cow, which was a most remarkable (perhaps even epic) feat. Not in any danger though.
Ubisoft: Got bailed out to block EA buying it, currently profitable
Atari/ Infogrames: Had to buy out its US counterpart. Improving but still not profitable
Sega: Imploding
Eidos: Perennially near implosion
THQ: Has lost near 90% (!) of its value over the past year
JoWood: Oh dear
MS: Has poured something like 50 billion into the xbox black hole, a significant portion of which was inducements for developers. Of course, they have the Windows monopoly for cross subsidisation.
Valve/ Steam: I hear Gabe Newell's latest project is building a lifesize replica of the Hagia Sophia entirely in gold and platinum in his backyard.

(NB overall the share market is down ~40%, pretty much all the publishers I could find figures for excluding Actiblizzard [edit clarification] have dropped more than that [/edit])

So most of the big and not so big publishers are in trouble, look to be heading for trouble or have been recently bailed out of being in trouble. It ain't a great look.

Those companies which concentrate on producing mid range, pseudo-niche titles aimed at specific- often ignored genres- like Paradox and Stardock are doing AOK and making more than enough profit to finance establishing digital distribution networks and acting as 3rd party publishers for various titles.

The sad reality is that when you look at the numbers even multi million selling BLOCKBUSTER HITS!!! like Bioshock and Mass Effect are not hugely profitable with production and marketing costs so high. They make enough money to finance the next title but not a huge amount more

As always, I don't disagree with the many of the broad sentiments but the devil is in the details.

There must be new ways computers could be used to host RPGs, ways that would suit turn-based mechanics better than real-time. The original brilliant idea that inspired this genre had nothing at all to do with graphics or special effects. Innovation that would put the emphasis back on that original idea would probably appeal to some people more than arcade-game style graphics.

I seem to recall several of the Ultimas (and others) seriously pushing the graphics envelope in their day. U7 is one of the pinnacles of the industry as far as I'm concerned but it certainly didn't have good combat and the character development wasn't so hot, either.

I don't think we look back on the past so accurately.

Those companies which concentrate on producing mid range, pseudo-niche titles aimed at specific- often ignored genres- like Paradox and Stardock are doing AOK and making more than enough profit to finance establishing digital distribution networks and acting as 3rd party publishers for various titles.

Cost containment is obviously a cornerstone of business success but those examples have limited application. Stardock is the worst example for anything - they have a highly profitable application business that subsidises their game development. Maybe the lesson is that games developers shouldn't develop games? They have a specific circumstance that can't necessarily be replicated.

Paradox has a specialty in strategy games - a genre that has proven can sustain second- and third-tier development. Off the top of my head (and I don't play strategy games) there are niche strategy publishers like Paradox, Matrix and Shrapnel.

Can anyone name a specialist CRPG micro-publisher? Again, the lesson doesn't necessarily extend to the rest of the industry.

I seem to recall several of the Ultimas (and others) seriously pushing the graphics envelope in their day. U7 is one of the pinnacles of the industry as far as I'm concerned but it certainly didn't have good combat and the character development wasn't so hot, either.

I don't think we look back on the past so accurately.
When I look at the past I see different games. These days devs describe huge development teams doing huge amounts of work. The teams and the work they describe makes me wonder if today's games aren't pushing an entirely different graphics envelope.

Who doesn't love state-of-the-art games with cutting-edge graphics? I hope they never stop making them. But it seems like it's coming down to a choice between graphics on the one hand and everything else on the other. And I like a lot of the everything else too.

The market wants what it wants, and I think it might be receptive to games that were less graphic and more intriguing otherwise. It's up to the indies, I suppose. But lagging behind won't do. They need to take this genre forward in an alternative direction.

I don't at all disagree, I just think Garriott tried to push graphics as far they could back in the day - just as current devs do. The difference is the exponential growth of hardware and the resources required to take advantage of that.

Stardock is the worst example for anything - they have a highly profitable application business that subsidises their game development.
I'm not sure you can say that the business apps business subsidises their games business (though the steady income from them certainly is a big advantage) - it certainly isn't like MS's Xbox division which would have folded/ morphed ages ago without the Office/ Windows monopolies- as so far as I am aware every game Stardock has made has made a decent profit.

The main point I was trying to make, apart from large publishers not necessarily making the best decisions, was that there are profits to be made if you know and cater for your market section even if that market section isn't the largest one available. I cannot see any really fundamental differences between RPGs and strategy games which would make it unrealistic, except perhaps the increased difficulty in writing/ testing a high dialogue/ non-linear RPG. Whether that model can work well for RPGs is a bit of an open question as is hasn't really been tried. On one hand there are mid range RPGish titles which appear to have done well- King's Bounty, Mount & Blade both getting expansions- you could perhaps even shoe horn more mainstream RPGs like the NWN2 expansions in too; and low range titles like the Spiderweb games do well enough year in and out to generate a stream of follow ups. I'd guess that the high popularity of ye golden oldie RPG titles may also illustrate that continued demand exists. On the other hand there simply aren't very few standalone mid range RPGs, and that does say something.

I'd guess that AoD will be a bit of a bellweather for viability. VD has said that there is interest from some publishers in it, so there may well be some thoughts from them that this is a market segment which can be tapped in to.

Back
Top Bottom