GameBanshee - GotY 2011

In open world RPGs like Skyrim and Fallout New Vegas, you have much more freedom to roleplay the character you want to play, by coming up with your own character and taking those actions you feel that character wants to take. It's never going to come close to a pen and paper game, but it's much closer to this than the rigidly structured interactive movie games

While they may look similar on the surface as both are open-world first person games, there are fairly big differences in the actual design of Skyrim and New Vegas. Skyrim encapsulates what tolknaz talks about. There are no limits placed around the player, it doesn't really matter what you do in the context of the game world. You can bash your way through the Thieves Guild questline, there are very little choices to make within any given questline, there are several characters with plot-armor. Even the one part where things diverge (stormcloaks vs imperial legion) has very little things reactions to what you actually do. Even if you murder people, you can essentially reverse any negative consequences through various means.

New Vegas has a *lot* more choice in how the player can solve situations, you can choose which factions to support and not with boons and consequences. In the main quest you have 4 big ways to go about it, with many smaller differences within each one.

In New Vegas I have absolutely no problem in coming up with character concepts and roleplaying. In Skyrim I do because very little of what I come up with with gets a reaction from the game. It's a wide-open world, with a big list of almost completely linear quests. I could come up with a kick-ass character concept in Skyrim, with interesting views on things but what does it matter? I would have to A) imagine the consequences and B) actually restrain myself in engaging in a lot of the content. And those two points are very important tasks of the GM (or in this case, the game), not the player if you ask me.

I quite liked Skyrim as long as I had more of the world to explore, but once I'd seen most of it, my interest dropped like a rock because… While the world itself is really nice, the actual interaction with the world is *extremely* lacking. And that interaction is a very important part of the more open RPGs to me.

It's funny how Skyrim has become the new Oblivion, it's a great game in my opinion...I'm not sure how it can get ripped apart so much here.

In role-playing theory, Skyrim is directed at a different playing style than other games;
there are always different playing-styles.

Read this for further information : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNS_Theory

Apropos, I think a lot of fans of more classic-style RPGs can consider GB's "character system" like I treat the Oscar for best script. Best movie is usually just the flashiest, while the best script tends to be the most meaningful award for me. I think character system will have a similar function. TRoT and Frayed Knights have their flaws, but they cast back to the 80s/90s better than any other RPG or RPG-esque title this year.

Back
Top Bottom