GOG Games - Winter Sale

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
As winter has started, so has the winter sale at GOG, which actually started yesterday. Hundreds of games are and will be on sale, such as Divinity Original Sin Enhanced Edition, which has a 33% discount, but also the rest of the Divinity games can be had, with an 85% discount. Also all Witcher games are discounted and a whole lot more.

More information.

You also get a free copy of Divine Divinity if you spend $5, and a free copy of Blackguards if you spend a total of $50. Fun times. ^.^

Shadowrun dragonfall DC for a couple of Euros? Why thank-you very much, don't mind if I do!

These games have been given away so often, it doesn't mean much to most people who followed sales for a few years.

I definitely love DivDiv though.

I gambled on the $3 mystery box and failed (Got anodyne). Maybe I'll play it but didn't look particularly interesting. I guess that is the problem when they have such a large catalog and I probably already have everything I really want from there anyway.

Nothing odd about that… the stuff we actually want is never on sale. :)

That's because we already bought on sale the games we want that were (was?) on sale.

pibbur who (regrettably?) quite often buys games he didn't know he wanted on sale.

Nothing odd about that… the stuff we actually want is never on sale. :)

Pretty much ... though I should probably fill in my Star Wars catalog at some point ... I have most everything, but still ...

I really just wish SOMEONE would get NOLF 1 & 2 and Star Trek Elite Force 1 &2 released digitally ...

I always thought a large proportion of people here either pre-ordered, backed or fist-day-purchased pretty much everything they're interested in anyway?

I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream, Shadow of the Comet and Sea Dogs. $4,7 well spent.

Got myself Outlast & Outlast Whistleblower $ 7,28

Pretty much … though I should probably fill in my Star Wars catalog at some point … I have most everything, but still …

I really just wish SOMEONE would get NOLF 1 & 2 and Star Trek Elite Force 1 &2 released digitally …

dont know about the others but played the first nolf recently and the way cate is treated at the beginning, would create a shitstorm in these times with the feminism crap :lol:

dont know about the others but played the first nolf recently and the way cate is treated at the beginning, would create a shitstorm in these times with the feminism crap :lol:

Um, that is the point - reflective of the times, blatant sexist crap.

Um, that is the point - reflective of the times, blatant sexist crap.

Hoorah, a sexism topic derail! Why not, I'm in a posting mood.

A common misconception with computer games is the idea that if something negative happens to a female character then something sexist has happened, or if something displays an overly attractive female then something sexist has happened. Which is a kind-of chinese whispers end-point of a debate that was solely about the concept of social equality - sexism being a descriptor for situations where a talented female would be blocked by a glass ceiling, similar to the original aim of the term racism.

Something that simply causes offence to a person is neither sexism nor racism, because that event has nothing to do with social progression for any individual. Offensive portrayals only become sexist/racist if they become so dominant that the stereotype has the ability to negatively influence a social acceptance situation, such as applying for a job.

Just having naked women or acts of violence against women does not deem something sexist in and of itself, particularly if the game presents just as equal situations for any males in the game - and who's ever played a game with ugly male characters who never get hit? This is the part where context is important. And this is the part where one has to decide whether the problem is having nearly naked women or whther the problem is that there isn't enough equality of choice in the market to provide games with nearly naked men.

Offence in and of itself isn't enough of a complaint to mark something as sexist. People can be offended by anything. A relation of mine is currently offended by the amount of food programmes on TV and the site of another pile of veg on his television screen sends him into a blind rage. It's not that he hates veg, it's that he hates the fact that there's too many veg programmes and not enough War programmes. Some people get offended by sex on television, some get offended by violence, some by veg.

Maybe you misunderstood TXA's point a bit. I mean NOLF is basicly a satire about classic Bond films. The game is set in 60s era Bond -esque world where cold war is stlll going on. The player character is Cate Archer, a superspy working for UNITY. UNITY is this a fictional pan-governmental agency that was assembled to wage counter-espionage against the bad guys, like soviets and terrorists such as the H.A.R.M organisation. Kate is anything you would expect from a female version of 007. She is smart, sexy, funny and deadly - the perfect package. :)

One funny aspect of being in Cate's shoes was how she had to constantly deal with all that sexist crap of that era. For instance when the game opens and Cate is offered her first field assignment, her superiors make it clear in no uncertain terms that she’s only been selected out of necessity, and that they fully expect a woman to be unable to handle the job.

It would be awesome if gog would finally get boths NOLF games in their cataloque...

Ah thats a bummer :-/

So not only is a gog release quite unlikely, we can also stop dreaming about a sequel too.

Back
Top Bottom