Cyberpunk 2077 - Interview @Gamingbolt

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
Gamingbolt interviewed level designer Miles Tost about Cyberpunk 2077 and asked about the setting, freedom of choice, side quests, and more.

We saw hints of destructibility in environments during the demo. I know you've spoken about this a bit recently, and I understand that right now you may or may not have pinned this down, but is that something you're looking to make a much larger part of the game?

We believe that having a world you can interact with and which reacts to your presence is a key part of a good open-world experience. Dynamic environments ultimately serve to fulfill that promise exactly: they help to enhance your immersion, the game world to become more alive and believable, and -- what's especially important when it comes to Cyberpunk 2077 -- add a whole different level of weight and grit. Combat becomes that much more vicious too, enhancing the feeling of a world shrouded in violence and danger. Given all that, let me just say that we're working hard on making sure that our environments look just as good when they're untouched as when they're getting blown up, without sacrificing the performance.

Night City has looked absolutely stunning so far, but will we be visiting any other areas in Cyberpunk 2077? Perhaps suburbs or lesser known townships in the vicinity of Night City?

Night City's six districts are designed to be unique in many ways -- their architecture, culture, atmosphere, people living there and the problems they are facing. We're making sure that all of these districts blend nicely into one consistent and believable city environment.

Not all parts of the city are covered in darkness by shadows thrown from skyscrapers. Take for example Pacifica, which was a district planned to be Night City's prime tourist resort. When the funding died, so did this dream, leaving many started construction projects unfinished and ultimately taken over by gangs as their hideouts. Each district has its own history which you will be able to uncover. It is really important to us to allow for this variety whilst also keeping it grounded within the lore of our world.

[...]
More information.

Must be slacking off that I missed reading this interview.

So thanks for posting it Sliver.:thumbsup:

Update: I'll add this to the forum thread.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting. This game looks incredible. I suspect I'll lose a good chunk of my life to it when it does launch ... though I suppose my wife and kids might have other ideas.

Slacker!

If this game is 1/2 as good as witcher 3 (and i'll suspect it will be a lot better) it is going to be wickedly good. I wonder how this company is able to make games of this quality when we get shovelcrap from most major publishers. I think it is more than cheap labor in Poland - I mean their overall designs are really good (imho).

Must be slacking of that I missed reading this interview.

So thanks for posting it Sliver.:thumbsup:

Slacker!

If this game is 1/2 as good as witcher 3 (and i'll suspect it will be a lot better) it is going to be wickedly good. I wonder how this company is able to make games of this quality when we get shovelcrap from most major publishers. I think it is more than cheap labor in Poland - I mean their overall designs are really good (imho).

The average IQ in Poland is quite high. After their history of struggle, due to nazism and communism, its natural that they are motivated and committed to success for themselves and their country.

Well I wonder if that means we should allow more struggling southern neighbors to immigrate. They are certainly motivated to work and we would definite benefit from the example.

The average IQ in Poland is quite high. After their history of struggle, due to nazism and communism, its natural that they are motivated and committed to success for themselves and their country.

I think this is actually an interview from a while back, could've sworn I've read this back then ( or perhaps I have psy abilities?).

I've asked one of their leads on world interaction: I'm not sure they'll have ( as much) handplaced objects interaction a la Deus Ex, but you'll be able to interact/manipulate tech in different ways.

Off-topic.. but..

Wow, South Korea beats Japan (and China) lol!

So top 5 are basically all Asian countries... then why can't they make decent games :(

Off-topic.. but..

So top 5 are basically all Asian countries… then why can't they make decent games :(
Because in Asian countries games are considered for kids and teens. Once you become an adult it's all about becoming a salary man, and working you way up the ladder.

Off-topic.. but..

So top 5 are basically all Asian countries… then why can't they make decent games :(

What Couchpotato said and I guess cultural differences. What we in the West prefer is vastly different from what they like in the East and vice versa. At least if you view it as a baseline. There is the odd exception like Dark Souls or Final Fantasy. Some people even like (MMO) Korea Grinders...

I think this is actually an interview from a while back, could've sworn I've read this back then ( or perhaps I have psy abilities?).

It's funny you say that because I was wondering if this was actually from an older interview. If not, then it doesn't sound like Cyberpunk is as close to being finished as some of us hoped.

It's funny you say that because I was wondering if this was actually from an older interview. If not, then it doesn't sound like Cyberpunk is as close to being finished as some of us hoped.

Weeeell, their latest economist babbling conference hinted at release around Q4 2019. I think that's a pretty good estimate, with a few months to prop up real marketing after E3.

Would be good if people stopped to distract them with questions and whatnot so they can finish the game faster.

Weeeell, their latest economist babbling conference hinted at release around Q4 2019. I think that's a pretty good estimate, with a few months to prop up real marketing after E3.
Yep all the leaks and board meeting documents point to a late 2019 release.:nod:

Heck it already reached an alpha state were you can play from beginning to end, and with such a large development team it doesn't take that long to finish from that point.

That would be just so awesome .. the only part I dislike is the bit about "late" in your "late 2019".
My best guess is next X-Mas to maximize sales of the game. It's a smart decision. I also have no doubt we will see remastered versions for the new consoles in 2020.

Some people even like (MMO) Korea Grinders…

Awww man, you shouldn't have used such words here... damn you, you just summoned him. Now face the consequences alone. I'm out!

Because in Asian countries games are considered for kids and teens. Once you become an adult it's all about becoming a salary man, and working you way up the ladder.

Where did you find this information? From what I managed to find, statistics suggest that wast majority of Asia video games consumers are adults.

Where did you find this information? From what I managed to find, statistics suggest that wast majority of Asia video games consumers are adults.
Based on my living in Japan for five years and past research with JRPGs.

Link - https://www.giantbomb.com/forums/ge...take-on-childhood-or-why-are-jrpg-cha-444139/

Sure adults play games in Japan but they are not the target. They even have various derogatory names for adults who love anime and play games.

Also there was a paper about this in Mechademia.
If I can try and summarize the thesis that I don't remember all that well, The prominence of adolescent characters in Japanese Science-fiction and fantasy stories is a result of how they view age and it's relation to personal freedom in their society. If I get too in-depth I'm going to butcher it, but the big idea is that in Japan, once a person reaches adulthood, they don't view the individual as having the same sort of personal freedom that we do in the west.

Basically once you hit adulthood over there, you're expected to fully devote yourself to the success of the business you work for as a sort of single-minded obsession. Or the success of your family if you're a housewife. Or one of a couple other roles that are strongly cemented in their culture. Essentially, their culture has given them a complex where the short adolescent period between when you gain the power to affect your environment and later become obligated to fulfill your responsibilities until you retire in old age is seen as the only period of freedom and choice in their lives.

Thus, this is the stage of life that gets portrayed in stories that center around any large or grand conflict, like most video-games are.
For China a new study was done by Tencent.

Link - https://www.scmp.com/tech/china-tec...on-why-chinas-teens-go-online-games-publisher

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom