Deadrock Divide - Combat & Asteroid Belt

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
The second kickstarter update forDeadrock Divide has more information from Bootsnake Games about the games combat, and asteroid belt.

Bridging the combat and the asteroid belt

We wanted to take the time to fill in some more information on how the asteroid belt and combat function with each other. This should give everyone a better idea at all the cool stuff you can do in the game. We'll also take a minute to talk about what is coming for this and when.

FROM BELT TO BRIDGES

When you board a ship, attack an outpost, free a mine, or one of many other actions in Deadrock Divide, you'll fight in the tactical combat. Many times, you'll simply board the ship in front of you or land on the mine you want to help or hurt. The battlefield you fight on is determined by what is happening in the belt around it.

If you land on a mine that has been attacked by pirates, pirates will be there to stop you from retaking it. If you board a ship from a rival faction, the ship layout will be based on the ship type and purpose. Simple stuff.

But you will also get a chance to alter the battle before you land. Equip your ship with ground assault rooms and you can weaken a mine's defenses before you land. Equip your boarding craft with a computer virus to try to take control of a ships computer before you fight. We want your ship and crew to be a vital part of how you choose to battle. And when the battle comes to you, we want your enemies to play with some toys too.

FROM BATTLES TO THE BELT

After a battle is over, the aftermath has effect on the asteroid belt. Some effects will be smaller than others like looting chests, and some effects will alter the belt.

On battle maps, we have interactive objects like computer terminals, mining nodes, freight chests, and more. Many of the objects will affect only the battles like a healing machine, but some will have effects on the world.

Sending a hacker to a computer is a great way to weaken a space station for some time. That would reduce its ability to defend itself in the future, take control of automated mining, or allow you to glide past other defensive stations on your way through the belt.

A BATTLE CAN LINGER

One of the things about battle is that your crew will get hurt. Lasers are cool and quite dangerous. Some of those laser burns may last longer than others.

We will not have permadeath in the default difficulty for the game. Permadeath is really cool for people who want it though, so we will have harder difficulty with permadeath for those that want the challenge.

If you take damage in one battle, your starting hit points for the next battle may be lowered. If you have a good medic, they'll heal faster between fights. A healing bay speeds the healing even more.

The more dramatic damage happens if a crewman is knocked out in combat. We have a damage table and your crew member will be left with a lingering injury. A deep wound that reduces movement speed. A small twitch that affects your ability to pilot the ship. A cool scar that makes you intimidating when bartering, but affects your ability to shoot straight.

Hospitals in Deadrock Divide are quite good at patching up young mercenaries. You'll be able to remove the lingering effects for a cost bringing your crew back to their full capabilities.

BELT TO BATTLE TO BELT

The actions you choose to do on the belt will have massive impacts on the world. This ranges from choosing a faction to how you choose to complete a mission.

In one of the first story lines, there is a space station that is being harassed by a group of pirates. The pirates have taken up residence on an old mine that is very difficult to assault.

You'll be able to undertake a number of operations to take out the pirate base. You will be able to take out their defenses remotely allowing for a smoother landing, or weaken their holdings in the area, reducing the number of men they can call on. For more drastic action, you can even cause an asteroid to crash into the station, making a pretty epic explosion and killing a few pirates in the process.

Each option will have different hurdles, rewards, and consequences. We know you'll enjoy making decisions and exploring their aftermath.
More information.

Just a head's up.
Well thank you for replying about a small typo, and it's fixed now. Sometimes I wish auto correct would work, but it hates my browser. Moving on now.:movingon:

I can already see that this project is probably not going to reach it's goal. A shame... this is the first kickstarter in quite some time that really interested me.

Seems to me PC game developers are going to have to come up with better enticements to get people to participate in Kickstarter. From a practical, non-philanthropic point of view, there isn't a whole lot of incentive. Most of these games will just be available on Steam's Early Access a little bit later…usually at the same price and sometimes at a cheaper price. Don't think I've seen one yet that is more expensive. And you often get something Kickstarter backers don't….alpha or beta access. I'm not a big fan of either, but a bunch of my Kickstarters have popped up on Early Access at the same price I pledged for a full-release copy, so people who plunked down the same cash are already playing it and I'm not. (Personally, I don't care, but a lot of people seem to.) I don't think Kickstarter-exclusive outfits or magic rings are going to cut it.

Back
Top Bottom