• Riftwar

Votes: 14 18.9%
  • Stranger Things

Votes: 3 4.1%
  • Something else

Votes: 24 32.4%

• Total voters
Spelljammer or Star Wars for me.
The new Baldur's Gate 3 trailer showed something that looked like a spaceship in the sky right toward the end. I'm hoping for some Spelljammer love.

I mean, what's better than Pirates in space or Lightsabers and Force power battles?

Force using pirates in space wielding lightsabers?

Also, welcome back Dart. Again. ;)

You can have that in Star Wars :)

True, and Star Wars or actually any take on Space Fantasy is certainly a genre I enjoy. Firefly could be fun, or Galaxy Outlaw (JS Morin).

True, and Star Wars or actually any take on Space Fantasy is certainly a genre I enjoy. Firefly could be fun, or Galaxy Outlaw (JS Morin).

Not a big fan of Firefly, personally. Probably because I don't like Whedon and his writing.

It was neat to some extent - but not really my thing.

But, yeah. Star Wars is quite unique in how it effortlessly mixes science fiction and fantasy - and that's why I love it so much.

You can have pretty much whatever combination you want in that setting.

Don't know Galaxy Outlaw, though.

Also, I would kill for an RPG set in the Aliens universe!

I votde for something else...
...like H.G.Well's The Time Machine knockin' boots with Planet of the Apes.

The novel "Dinosaur on the Beach" by Keith Laumer. A fast paced sci-fi story about time travel and correcting the meddling with history.

On the next to the last book in Will Wights Cradle series (7 short books). Wight is a superior story teller and knows how to tell an large arch story into complete pieces. He has created a new type of magic that is far different than the Tolkien stuff. The freshness of the power levels in the Cradle series reminds me of when Fallout came out with its take on power levels (SPECIAL). This world is so ready made for RPG, it almost (almost) seems like RPG lit. The series is relatively new but when the word of mouth starts to roll, it would not surprise me if this series became iconic.

I'm going to go for Katherine Kurtz's Deryni setting. Medieval setting, low magic, pvp possible in the border lands between the good & bad realms.

OR

Something set in Elizabeth H. Boyer's The Elves and the Otterskin / The Thrall and the Dragon's Heart / The Sword and the Satchel / The Wizard and the Warlord settings.

Which if you don't know were influenced by Norse mythology, and are set in a fantasy world whose climate and geography resembles that of the Scandinavia of Norse myths, with light and dark elves, dwarves, trolls, sorcerers, ley lines, burial mounds, wizards, and so forth. The theme very much being that of the Heroic Quest.

I too would have to go with "something else".

For a fictional world, how about a sci-fi RPG based on Stargate SG-1? Form your own SG team, go on missions through the Stargate, do base-building and occasional Earthside missions... Actually, you could probably make something decent along these lines as an XCOM mod.

I'd also like to see some real-world modern RPGs set during World War II. There's probably a good game to be made with the player as a participant in the French Resistance. A grimmer alternative would be a game set during the Warsaw Ghetto uprising. You couldn't win, but you could choose how you lose.

For a fictional world, how about a sci-fi RPG based on Stargate SG-1?

SG-1 would be nice, too bad the MMO planned some years back turned into a something resembling a pyramid scheme.

I'd also like to see some real-world modern RPGs set during World War II.

I played in a Play by Email game set in WWII a few years back. Very heavy RPing your actions as a Soldier in a recon unit.

Either of those would work and be enjoyable.

For me SG-1 was mostly about exploring different cultures and scifi concepts, rather than a single setting. The stargate gave the writers almost complete freedom to do as they please and weren't really constricted by any prior stuff (ok, there was an overarching setting).

It is hard not to get excited about the books mentioned here. Some of which I hope to still read some day. Back when I was still reading relatively much, the Malazan Book of the Fallen (Steven Erikson) might be one series I would have liked to see an RPG of.

This gets me thinking how few large scope cRPGs there are actually are. That is, many playable characters spread out over space and time. You could have one chapter dedicated to each character and let them all come together towards the end. This way you could show all sides of the story, making for some difficult discussions once you start liking your enemy. I liked the idea in DA2 to follow the protagonist over a larger time-span, but there are probably more and better examples.

1. I've been reading the new Osten Ard novels by Tad Williams and realised I would love to play an open world RPG in that setting. That will probably never happen though. Too small of a fanbase.
the-dragonbone-chair-whelan.jpg

2. Similarly, an actual real RPG set in Tolkiens Middle Earth would be great. Not the action games and MMO crap that we've gotten the last 15 years or so.
808718.jpg

3. An RPG set in Simon Stålenhags retro-futuristic Sweden would be amazing as well. Amazon is developing a tv-show but I think it's to be set in Canada or the US which will lose a bit of the swedish 80's feel. Hope it's good though.
Varselklotet-Simon-Stalenhag.jpg

3. An RPG set in Simon Stålenhags retro-futuristic Sweden would be amazing as well. Amazon is developing a tv-show but I think it's to be set in Canada or the US which will lose a bit of the swedish 80's feel. Hope it's good though.
Varselklotet-Simon-Stalenhag.jpg

At least, there seems to be a PS4 shooter (?) inspired by his work, Generation Zero. (Although they don't seem to communicate it? I did not see any more recent reports on this.)

Link to pcgamer
https://www.pcgamer.com/swedish-artist-simon-stalenhag-is-not-happy-with-generation-zero/

Seems it got pretty poor reception.

At least, there seems to be a PS4 shooter (?) inspired by his work, Generation Zero. (Although they don't seem to communicate it? I did not see any more recent reports on this.)

Link to pcgamer
https://www.pcgamer.com/swedish-artist-simon-stalenhag-is-not-happy-with-generation-zero/

Seems it got pretty poor reception.

Yeah Simon Stålenhag has nothing to do with that game. It's definitely a rip off of the setting. Here's a quote from that article that I thought was good:

What does annoy Stålenhag is that he already has connections with the studio. “Avalanche knows who I am. We live in the same town. The game director of the GZ follows me on Twitter. I’ve even met them and briefly worked with them, and not once did they mention they were working on a game set in the Swedish countryside in the late 1980s, featuring giant robots.”

“The minimally decent thing to do would have been to at least acknowledge the similarities when pointed out,” he added. “If acknowledging that is something you're not prepared to do—fine—but then I'm sure there are other ways to do Swedish sci-fi that doesn't look confusingly similar to the Tales From The Loop books and RPG.

Just take me back to Morrowind

Back
Top Bottom