KotOR Remake - What We Hope To See @ TR

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
TechRaptor has some wishes for the KoTOR Remake:

What We Hope To See In The KOTOR Remake

It's finally happening, Knights of the Old Republic is finally getting an official remake. The team behind the game's various ports to modern PCs and various mobile platforms has been confirmed to be working on a brand-new version of the game with updated visuals and, hopefully, features too. KOTOR is one of the all-time classics of RPG history and is also generally considered to be one of the best Star Wars games of all time. So if they're updating the game, what exactly will that entail? Below are just some of the things that we would love to see come out of this new version.

Add Action, But Don't Lose RPG
KOTOR - Combat The flurry of limbs, blasters, and laser swords is probably going to be a little confusing in an action game, but hopefully the turn-based RPG option will still be available. Source: IGDB

There have been a fair few rumors floating around about the KOTOR remake since it was officially confirmed, and one of them is that the game is apparently going to see some pretty big fundamental changes to the gameplay. It makes sense in a lot of ways. The game industry is a different place from what it once was, and since the game was initially released, millions more people are actively playing video games. Having a more modern style of gameplay with an action focus is a great way of making the game more accessible to these new gamers.

[...]
More information.

Well three things I want to see in the remake…

1. New engine with better graphics/sounds/videos.
2. Pure Action combat.
3. More game content please.

Yeah, I don't think that would go over too well with most fans.

That said, it wouldn't shock me if we end up getting something slightly more action-oriented than the original. That seems to be the thing lately. i.e. Final Fantasy 7

Sorry to say fellas it's a remake for modern audiences and inside rumors point to yes it will. Anyway the original was action combat just slowed down to allow ability choices.

Sorta call the old games a time based action combat or a crossover of both.

Edit: Disney the IP owner doesn't care about old fans. New movies proved that.

Last edited:
Disney is the devil. I could rant about something no one here likely cares about, but I'll spare you all that. I fully expect an action game, and I fully expect not to buy it.

Well, I was pointing out my opinion of course...
The probabilities of it being an action combat game are really high.
Not that I dislike action games, in fact I loved Jedi Fallen Order. It's just that I can't really see KotOR as an action game and care to play it.

Yeah, I don't think that would go over too well with most fans.

That said, it wouldn't shock me if we end up getting something slightly more action-oriented than the original. That seems to be the thing lately. i.e. Final Fantasy 7

I think FF7 is example how to make remake right. And per my opinion combat was great, not to mention that turn based mode remained in game as an option. Before release I was sure I will play in TB mode, but in reality I didnt even give it proper try at the end. If KOTOR remake reached quality of FF7 remake, Im buying day one. But somehow, I have feeling that won't be the case.

Hot Take: Nostalgia discounted, Jedi Fallen Order is a better game than KotOR was, and KotOR Remake would do well to adapt its combat systems to match it, while retaining the storytelling, player agency etc from the original KotOR.

Hot Take: Nostalgia discounted, Jedi Fallen Order is a better game than KotOR was, and KotOR Remake would do well to adapt its combat systems to match it, while retaining the storytelling, player agency etc from the original KotOR.

As far as personal taste goes, I would prefer group based RPG with tactical combat over action RPG, but its also true that on release I saw KOTOR as dumbed-down console market product, compared to infinity engine era. So, yeah, nostalgia not so strong with this one ... in my case.

Jedi Fallen Order had fun actiony combat but didnt' feel like an RPG to me at all.

The story was on rails. The character development was static. Customization was limited visuals that you really couldn't see unless zoomed in... till the very end when you could change the color of the lightsaber. You could customize the color of your ship in detail - which was great for the 10 seconds you were standing by your ship when it lands. There was no choice or consequence.

Overall it was fun, but it was like a puddle reflecting a sunset. Fun to look at, fun to jump in, but no swimming or drinking allowed.

Jedi Fallen Order had fun actiony combat but didnt' feel like an RPG to me at all.

The story was on rails. The character development was static. Customization was limited visuals that you really couldn't see unless zoomed in… till the very end when you could change the color of the lightsaber. You could customize the color of your ship in detail - which was great for the 10 seconds you were standing by your ship when it lands. There was no choice or consequence.

Overall it was fun, but it was like a puddle reflecting a sunset. Fun to look at, fun to jump in, but no swimming or drinking allowed.

Agreed.

To me the perfect KotOR remake would have the original story and player choices, dialogues, free exploration etc, with a more up-to-date combat system and visuals. Someone said Final Fantasy 7 remake - while I haven't tried it yet (don't own PS5, at least not yet), sounds like a good example of what could make a KotOR remake great.

Keep the old vibe of the game, kick the graphics up a notch or two, and best of all give us a few more hours of additional content. Heck, I don't even need the graphic or audio improvements, to be fair. Don't mess with the character choices and results!

Having a more modern style of gameplay with an action focus is a great way of making the game more accessible to these new gamers.

Bah ! :mad:

Hot-take: Jedi Fallen Order sucks and isn't an RPG so I don't care. Also I would love if they rewrite the original story and added new content. As that is what a remake is.

Remember folks remake not remaster is the keyword. Completely different games.

Back
Top Bottom