Gothic 3 - Retrospective Review @ C4G

"It's really hard to find an RPG with a really flexible quest design nowadays"? What? It's almost become the standard.
But it was indeed ahead of its time back then, I also loved the fact it didn't give map pointers and other aids, you were free to explore and solve the problems on your own.

There's something about Gothic 3 that I really enjoy (modded out). I've played it 3x now and just really enjoy most aspects of the game. It gets a little crazy in some parts where you are fighting 100 orcs at a time but the world design and exploration is some of the best ever.

Now I feel like playing Gothic 3 again.

One day I'll do some research on what mods are available and replay them. I enjoyed the Gothic series thoroughly.

One day I'll do some research on what mods are available and replay them. I enjoyed the Gothic series thoroughly.

It's actually one of the easier games to mod. Some good YouTube videos on how to mod the game. Fallout 3 and Elder Scrolls 4 were way harder to mod.

Gothic 3 doesn't get much respect these days, even among the Gothic fan base, but as someone who's played both Gothic 2 and 3 in the last few months, I am surprised to find that I prefer G 3. Beautiful music and graphics (except for some npc animations) and minimal hand holding. Not that G 2 doesn't have some charm, but I don't think it's ageing as well considering they're only 4 years apart.

It's not my favorite of the Gothic series, but it's certainly well worth playing. Current games these days could only hope to be favorably compared to Gothic three.

The video gave me goosebumps - I had unparalleled feeling and enjoyment when I first played Gothic 3. It is just a totally different experience for me due to the atmosphere, graphics, music, weapons, factions - brilliant.

Is Elex as good as Gothic 3? I am only asking as I have not played Elex yet.

Good game, but I think it's inferior to Gothic 1&2 in nearly every possible way. It's obvious that it wasn't finished, and even with the community patch, It doesn't feel like a fully fleshed-out game. Some areas and dungeons had little to nothing in them.

It was certainly a beautiful game for its time though, and the environments still look good even today. The music is fantastic as well even if I slightly prefer the soundtracks of the earlier games.

I enjoyed Elex more. It's certainly a lot more polished. Whether or not you think it's better though might depend on how much you like the setting. It's very different from any of their previous games.

My first graphical Wow!-moment I had in G3. I had a brand new graphic card and on my first session I was walking towards a hill behind which the sun rose. In the very moment a group of deer crossed the hill on its ridge. I was stunned, pure magic.

In my memory this scene is in 4K@120fps.

One of the everlasting impressions this game left me is the way castles and other buildings are designed, and how well they were placed on the map.

I remember a review saying it took German designers to really appreciate and master this art, since they still had so many of them in their country :)

The video gave me goosebumps - I had unparalleled feeling and enjoyment when I first played Gothic 3. It is just a totally different experience for me due to the atmosphere, graphics, music, weapons, factions - brilliant.

I loved both of them equally and played each of them several times...

Last edited:
I think the community patch flags the files meanwhile with the LAA-bit.

With the community patch, this was my favourite Gothic of all three. Loved the scale and getting lost in the landscape.

Loved the game, but Nordmar was my least favorite region. It's because I hate winters and the cold in real life. I was born in central Minnesota and have lived here since. Winters here are brutal.
Varant and Myrtana are more to my liking.

I enjoyed this game quite a bit but agree with JDR13 there were some empty dungeons, and a fair amount of empty sprawl in general, and too many "settlements" with one NPC to interact with. Music is great, and the more populated areas (NPCs, wildlife, or otherwise) come alive in dynamic and interactive ways.

I'd say Elex suffers from too much sprawl as well but other than that and the brutal difficulty, it's an amazing game and really fleshed out setting. I doubt I'll ever finish it though.

Curious what the community patch even does to Gothic 3 and what it adds?

Back
Top Bottom