Parsec is damned impressive

The idea of playing a single-player together from remote locations is very interesting. Like passing the controller to your friend next on the couch (but then he could be 100km away). Then again, this gives humans another excuse not to go outside anymore and keep friends on the virtual level :)

In fact this might be a possible advantage for streaming subscriptions, as latency will probably be equal for both of you. Unlike local streaming where the host pc is at your home and your friend needs to connect through your crappy connection.

Personally I always thought streaming performance is more or less the same between different solutions. At least the connection is much more vital to good performance than the underlying codec technology.

I've been streaming with Nvidia Gamestream for years now and have been impressed with it. You can do several different things, like stream Geforce Now games such as Witcher 2, Alpha Protocol, DOOM, etc., in 1080p60 directly to your Shield tablet. Geforce Now is a game streaming service that essentially streams the games from an Nvidia "gaming computer/cloud", i.e. a non-local network. Results are surprising - perfect 1080p60. I just wish the tablet had a 10" version, it's only 8", but you can stream to your TV all the same by connecting the tablet in Console Mode via HDMI. Allows 4K resolution, too.

Nvidia Gamestream for local streaming also works great from my main gaming PC. You can stream any game from any platform, or even your desktop itself, an application, etc.. 60 FPS @ 1080p is no problem. 100 Mb/s bitrate if you like, no lag or issues. Moonlight is alright and supposedly based on Nvidia Gamestream but it seems to cut up and be a bit choppier for me, although still usable and good overall.

After trying Geforce Now a bit, I think the future is pretty interesting for game streaming services. You will essentially be able to stream any game at max PC settings without even having a PC or a PC capable of running the game at those settings. They just need a much larger selection of games, but they are definitely onto something. It's free right now as they are going to unveil a major update soon. Hoping it's the Shield 2 + a vastly expanded library of Geforce Now games…

That's a new thing to me - and is great for my brother and myself, for instance. We live a long way from each other - so having this option is fantastic, as we really enjoy sharing singleplayer CRPGs - especially dungeon crawlers :)

I'm curious as to distance, Dart. For instance, I live 318 miles/512 km from my brother. Is that comparable? My niece lives in Portland, Oregon. We'd love to see her, but it's 2,018 miles. Can't drive that so have to fly and my wife hates flying. Her arms get tired of holding the broom. Ha!

I'm curious as to distance, Dart. For instance, I live 318 miles/512 km from my brother. Is that comparable? My niece lives in Portland, Oregon. We'd love to see her, but it's 2,018 miles. Can't drive that so have to fly and my wife hates flying. Her arms get tired of holding the broom. Ha!

Denmark is a very small place in comparison :)

I'm about an hour away from my brother - which is pretty far around here. It's not that we can't see each other - it's the practical thing about taking along a computer every time we need to play together. That's just too much hassle for the most part.

We have a mutual friend that we play with - that's also about an hour from us both, so it's just very inconvenient in that way.

So, we play online - which is probably the norm in the US - but in the past, we actually arranged it so that we'd get together in the same room with multiple computers - or we'd play hotseat multiplayer of some kind. Usually 4X strategy games or Wargames.

These days, we don't have much time and because of the distance - there's really no choice.

We used to communicate using Skype - but we've recently moved to Discord - as that's easier and less intrusive.

But, with Parsec, we can essentially play singleplayer games together - like we sometimes do, and that's pretty great I think.

Slaves to technology.

Denmark is a very small place in comparison :)

I wasn't sure if your brother lived in the same country. That's the weird thing about the USA. Most of us have to go really, really far to see another country.

No more derailing THIS topic by the nut.

Back
Top Bottom