Obsidian Entertainment - Survey on RPG DLC

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
This survey strongly suggests to me that Obsidian are looking at adding D:OS 2 like multiplayer features to Pillars 2 as post release content.

Customer surveys are generally recommended as a means to make the customer feel they are valued; cared about.

But this survey feels like… When and how deep can we go into your pockets? I guess it's talking about "DLC" in the abstract rather than stuff like "new character stories", "continued stories", "more story background." Thing is "DLC" in the abstract just doesn't feel like a customer positive term (for me).

__

Fuuuu at the question asking to rate genre from 1 to 10, I only play games in the top 4, but no way of saying that anywhere.

@RPGFool; there are actually questions about the type of content in DLC and the size of the DLCs.

For me this looks like they want to find out what they can get away with. Season passes and micro-DLC is what they want to do, but they are afraid of true RPG players (who still make up most of their audiance, I guess).

No need for a survey. Just look at CDPR and Witcher 3. Quality base game with some free DLC to keep the hype and then release true expansions, if the base game did well.

Weird, I tried doing this survey when I first got the email this morning, maybe five hours ago, and it asked for some password or something. Just did it now with no issues, no password was requested on my most recent attempt.

I took the survey. Made sure to put "not at all interested" on all the multiplayer aspects... hell no.

For me this looks like they want to find out what they can get away with. Season passes and micro-DLC is what they want to do, but they are afraid of true RPG players (who still make up most of their audiance, I guess).

No need for a survey. Just look at CDPR and Witcher 3. Quality base game with some free DLC to keep the hype and then release true expansions, if the base game did well.

TW3 free DLCs are mico-DLCs.

Also, TW3 had a season pass available pre-release with the only info available at the time being 2 content DLCs coming post-release (some people were kinda pissed at it). The fact they released large DLCs via their season pass doesn't change the fact that they had one.

Bethesda got all confused filling out this survey.
They didnt know the difference between DLC, miniDLC, expansion, Mod, Paid Mods, Paid DLC Mod, expansion DLC, paid DLC expansions...

Lol.... ahhhh

The only DLC I've played are FNV's. But I bought the game long after release and can't remember if I paid for the DLC separately, or got them bundled in a Deluxe Edition or whatever. I would have preferred a true expansion, however, except for JE Sawyers survival mode or whatever it was called.

Last edited:
This survey strongly suggests to me that Obsidian are looking at adding D:OS 2 like multiplayer features to Pillars 2 as post release content.
Dunno about that, I figure this survey is more oriented at the mainstream/action type of project that Tim Cain is (likely) on.

Last edited:
I thought they had some questions that also encouraged more involved DLC's versus micro-transaction style. Anyhow submitted.

Obsidian are crazy when it comes to DLC in my opinion. I was about to make an exception to my no more crowdfunding vow for PoE 2 because I just finished and really enjoyed the first PoE when the campaign for part two was still on.

So I headed over to Fig and I even had the game added to the 'cart' already when I decided to check out what pledge add-ons are available and then I found out that they have an expansion pass.

I then checked whether my pledge level included the pass. Nope.
And I was shocked to learn (unless I majorly missed something) that none of the pledge levels included the DLC pass.
Not even the $5,000 or $10,000 pledges. Imagine that... you pledge thousands of bucks for a game and they still expect you to pay for DLC.

That's when I decided to definitely wait for the GOTY of PoE 2. I have two words for Obsidian's DLC/season pass policy: Fuck that.
And I made that clear in the survey as well... GOTY or nothing. I don't do piecemeal games, sorry.

And I made that clear in the survey as well… GOTY or nothing. I don't do piecemeal games, sorry.

I also indicated this clearly in the survey and hope that they can take note. However such practice is embedded in this industry and other industries so that 'consumers' continue to pay (whether they need the thing or not).

I figured this would get a warm reception here.

Right you are Ken :)

right-you-are-ken.jpg

Obsidian are crazy when it comes to DLC in my opinion. I was about to make an exception to my no more crowdfunding vow for PoE 2 because I just finished and really enjoyed the first PoE when the campaign for part two was still on.

So I headed over to Fig and I even had the game added to the 'cart' already when I decided to check out what pledge add-ons are available and then I found out that they have an expansion pass.

I then checked whether my pledge level included the pass. Nope.
And I was shocked to learn (unless I majorly missed something) that none of the pledge levels included the DLC pass.
Not even the $5,000 or $10,000 pledges. Imagine that… you pledge thousands of bucks for a game and they still expect you to pay for DLC.

That's when I decided to definitely wait for the GOTY of PoE 2. I have two words for Obsidian's DLC/season pass policy: Fuck that.
And I made that clear in the survey as well… GOTY or nothing. I don't do piecemeal games, sorry.

Thats funny Moriender, I almost did the Fig purchase as well until I seen that. Some people might think its silly but it was the absurdity NOT to include it for people already paying $1,000 that made me say screw it.

TW3 free DLCs are mico-DLCs.

Also, TW3 had a season pass available pre-release with the only info available at the time being 2 content DLCs coming post-release (some people were kinda pissed at it). The fact they released large DLCs via their season pass doesn't change the fact that they had one.

So?

They weren't obligated to give us anything. They could have nickel-and-dimed us for all those small DLCs like most other companies, but instead they provided a significant amount of extra content for free.

One thing I noticed while filling out the survey is that regardless of the base price of the game I still felt $20 for a season pass was appropriate.

I feel like I may have inadvertently contributed to a price increase from 44.95 to 59.95 for POE2 as a result :(

Back
Top Bottom