IGN - The Big RPGs of 2012

The writing is mostly bad because of incompetent American translators - not because of the actual japanese wording.

Incompetent isn't the right word. American publishers and marketing departments believe that their market can't understand complexity and un-american stuff, so they always screw stories or content that they think won't be understood. Hell, we see this with European games sometimes (like the color palette in Arcania :/).

It's worst in the TV and movie industries, they don't translate show or movies. They buy the rights and remake them (with crappier actors, scripts and direction). Actually, they sometimes to that for shows that are already in English too.

Let's be fair azarhal and consider that the japanese did the same to the Wizardry franchise. devil's advocate, always :)

Let's be fair azarhal and consider that the japanese did the same to the Wizardry franchise. devil's advocate, always :)

They own the IP now. ;)

Incompetent isn't the right word. American publishers and marketing departments believe that their market can't understand complexity and un-american stuff, so they always screw stories or content that they think won't be understood.

The sad part is, the publishers and marketers are probably right, too.

Fairly crappy list, though to be fair, I can't really think of many PC RPGs coming out in the next few months. Torchlight 2... and I am looking forward to Guild Wars 2. There will probably be an announcement or two around E3, but those will likely be 2013 releases. Seems most of the bigger PC RPGs came out late last year and early this year.

I do actually enjoy jRPGs and could go for a good one. Unfortuantely few have interested me in the last few years. And anything that does interest me comes out on PS3 or Nintendo. I'd love to see some JRPG action show up on Steam one day...

Back
Top Bottom