I need 3 quick reviews - Divinity 2, ADOM and King of Dragon Pass

felipepepe

Codex Refugee
Fellow arch-enemies of the Watch, as some of you might have seen, we've complied a nice list of Top cRPGs at the Codex some time ago, and now we're about to publish a massive article, where every game in that list gets screenshots and short reviews.

After much work only 3 reviews are missing: Divinity 2, ADOM and King of Dragon Pass.

If any of you fine fiends would be kind to collaborate, we're looking for short reviews, somewhat like this:
Betrayal at Krondor is a classic for a number of reasons. It is one of the first games to feature a satisfying open world to explore, while also having one of the better stories to be found in video games at the time (or since, for that matter). The game was set in the world of Raymond E. Feist's novels, and was written by the accomplished duo of Neil Hallford and John Cutter. Even though I'm a particular fan of Feist's work, the characters and lore of the game are both extremely solid, and hold up quite well today irrespective of any feelings of nostalgia. There is a real sense of background and history to the world, which makes exploring the extensive landscape and wandering into seemingly non-descript towns an interesting experience each time.

While the story is a definite high point of the game, perhaps even more worthy of mention is the game's turn-based combat. Encounters range from simple skirmishes with bandits, to puzzle-like encounters with magical traps. It is further buoyed by an excellent magic system filled with strategic spells to manipulate the battlefield. Combine this with scarce special ammo for ranged weapons, equipment breaking at inopportune times, and unique enemies pulling out unexpected abilities it all comes together to make one of the best combat systems ever in an RPG. Sadly, the sequels (Betrayal in Antara and Return to Krondor) didn't live up to the original, but Betrayal at Krondor is a prime example of how to do a lot of things right, and should be played by a lot more people.

Could be longer as well, if you have a lot to say. :)

I'm not a review writing person as I can't be objective - I can't stand things most of people seem to adore.

But I'm posting this just to say I'm pleasantly surprised by this move, maybe codex finally grows up. Even if it stays just as a never fully realized idea, you got my respect.

The Codex will never change Joxer.;)

Anyway thanks for the list felipepepe can't wait tor the final version.:salute:

I agree mostly with Michael 'txa1265' Anderson's review of Divinity 2:

A bit too long for a short review.

So far we have more than 52 pages of text in Arial 10, only with reviews from 47 codexers (and one spy)… plus boxart and 4 high-res screenshots for each game.

Should be quite something, so this is your chance to take part in it. ;)

Also, the D2 review should be of Dragon Knight Saga, not the early buggy release, Ergo Draconis.

ADOM = Ancient Domains of Mystery -> a rogue like

I played a lot ADOM back in the day... ASCII characters same as Rogue.
It was pretty fun, a friend of mine got very far into it. I kept dying all the time.
I remember the game generated a cool random background story and stats for every character you create. Also it was very player friendly compared to most of the other ROGUE clones.
The game is huge. Has sidequests, cities, a lot of NPCs, merchants, a lot of stuff you don't expect to find in a game with only ASCII chars. I remember it has a cool story also, but it was too long ago, I can't remember enough to write a review.

K', only need Divinity 2 and ADOM now. C'mon people, I don't want to come back empty handed after consorting with the enemy. ;)

K', only need Divinity 2 and ADOM now. C'mon people, I don't want to come back empty handed after consorting with the enemy. ;)

We're not the enemy, we're like the Baratheon/Lannister brothers: you're Joffrey and we're Tommen, we love you guys but that cutting other people's heads business might get you in trouble someday!

Well, we managed to get the missing review from lurkers at the Codex. But Watch's ambassador, HiddenX, will be noted on the full article for his valuable contributions.

I shall return to my homeland, farewell. :kitty:

O_O
And I always thought Hidden is codex' ambassador...
:evilgrin:

Back
Top Bottom