Matt Chatt - Brenda Romero Interview #4

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Matt continues his interview with Brenda Romero this time talking about sexism in the Gaming Industry. This should be the last part of his interview.

In this episode, Brenda Romero, the Gloria Steinem of the games industry, zeroes in on the key problems facing women gamers and developers: sexism, sexism, and more sexism. Booth babes, chain mail bikinis, and lack of healthy avatar options are all just symptoms of a much broader problem.

Warning: I've done my best to censor out the adult language in this episode, but my apologies if any managed to slip through.
More information.

I think that's not an unreasonable request that companies in the game industry stop treating women, and women's bodies as vehicles for advertising. That's not ok.

I generally agree with Brenda on her view regarding women and marketing and have always found it just plain cheesy and degrading to women.

But her argument leaves out responsibilities of those women who choose to be used in such a way. Until women get on the same page and choose to turn down money in exchange for objectifying themselves I don't think there's a whole lot gamers can do about it to influence things one way or another.

I'd argue that, with the era of the internet and explosion of audio and video… women are lining up more than ever before to objectify themselves for money.

Now, GET OFF MY LAWN!

Alright stop it with the jokes no matter how funny they are, and get back on topic. If it keeps up I will move or delete them. I will also lock this thread if I have to.:disappointed:

Update: Thank you TheMadGamer for being the only one to post an on-topic reply.;)

Last edited:
was that wrong? Should I not have done that?
I mentioned it more as a general fact than problem. On a more serious note, to preserve the thread, this adolescence view of women has been with gaming for a long time. I think it's mostly a marketing thing from UK and US.

Back
Top Bottom