Overlord

G

I've been playing (among other things) overlord lately. It's not a masterpiece or anything but in small doses it is extremely fun. I'm also fond of humour of this type :D

Who would not want to be a darklord in a darktower and have 10 female servants and a mistress and... well.. a darktower :D
Oh.. and dozens of minions who make annoying noises and kill and break stuff and drink beer and piss all over and use carved pumpkins as helmets -
at your command.

You can also customize your tower by buying some evil looking furniture and decoration. Then you have your own forge with which you can create armor and weapons for yourself.

If it is not 100% CRPG - I am sure it has enough of those elements in it to justify posting on this subforum. I must also tell you that while windows 2000 is not officially supported I'm playing it now on a win2k system and having no issues... You do have to download a DLL file from gamecopyworld.com to make it run though.
(It is included in the nocd file for the 1.2 version )

Im about halfway through the game and I would recommend this game to anyone looking for something fun to play as there isn't really anything better on the market currently anyway (when talking modern big budget games).

I would be interested to hear your opinions / experiences with this game and I could also post some of mine or answer some questions if someone is thinking about getting this game.

I started out as basically doing the right thing, not killing villagers and doing their quests and being a benevolent dictator. Approx 80% thru the game, I just started killing everyone and razing homes and such. Some villager mumbled something about one of my minions or something, and it went downhill from there. They never saw it coming. It was pretty fun to wreak havoc, to be chaotic evil. Putting it off so long actually made it far more gratifying. Like a woman who makes you wait for that first kiss, instead of just giving it up right away.

Ok, maybe not that gratifying, but it was the first thing that came to mind ='.'=

I actually think that this was a good way to play, because if I had started out that way, the "evil" path wouldnt feel like anything special. I'd have been mechanically killing everything that I see, for the thousandth time, and it would mean nothing. My reign of terror meant something.

I killed and destroyed everything right from the start. I caused as much pain, grief, death and destruction as I possibly could. And yes, It was fun that way too :D

I enjoyed the change from other games that always force me to be a hero and /or a do-gooder.

yeah, I as got some message saying "you have destroyed every house in Spree", I was cackling away like a madman. There doesnt seem to be a similar "youve killed every person" message tho.

What kind of minion mix do you usually run?

I usually head out with the majority Browns, and about 5 Reds and 2 Blues. I always keep a couple Blues at all times, and just send them out whenever I see one of my dudes fall. Gotta be quick tho!

I normally havent used Greens all that much, I prefer the full-on frontal assault-then-recall thing, but I did toward the end of the game start using Greens a bit more. They can be really powerful if used right.

I Just mix browns and greens and sweep them around until everything and everyone is dead. If there's something special or too tough for them to take I bring a large pack of reds and position them somewhere high and then I use myself as a bait - now the rain of fire is ready to begin.

Hmm, I have stayed away from this one, because I have a very hard time playing the evil path in the games that have offered it over the last 5 years or so. I'm not sure if it's becuase it's been very poorly implemented in a lot of them, or if I just can't bring myself to be evil. I do enjoy playing somewhat chaotic characters in NWN2 and being a dick to people who are irritating though. My last character had the attitude that coddling the weak only makes them stay weak, she couldn't stand 'hopeless' people, she was a definite anti-hero though not really evil. She ended up saving the sword coast because she didn't believe that its people deserved what the KoS would have done to them. I mean, the weak can't grow strong if the KoS kills them all.

This game does sound kind of fun though. How much of a CRPG is it? It doesn't seem to be able to be put into any one genre from what I've heard.

No matter how bad it may sound with all the killing and razing, it is comic evil, it's done with a none too serious air about it. There's no blood or gore, the minions jump around and attack people who fall to the ground dead, then disappear. The razing of structures is them running in the front door, then back out with loot, and smoke pouring from the structure. A lot of the game consists of poking fun at certain fantasy archetypes and such.

The "CRPG elements", if you will, come in the different types and upgrades that you can do to your weapons and armor in your forge by sacrificing different minions (they hilariously jump into the molten steel by the hundreds), different customizations that you can do to your "Dark Tower" in which you live, and the alignment system that will influence your powers in different ways (and changes your appearance) in relation to how "good" or "evil" you are. There's two different mistresses that you get to choose from that will inhabit your dark tower. Youll get more powerful as you run across some totem-like things that bestow permanent upgrades to your life and mana and such.

Do I feel like a dark overlord? Yeah, i think it does the job fairly well, but it's a long shot from being really a malevolent and truly evil type of game.

It's a fun game..not sure if it's a CRPG...I don't play evil types in RPGs but as has been mentioned this is pure comic evil..I especially liked setting fire to the monsters in the long grass with the fireball spells (evil cackle)

I don't play evil as well, but a) I find this game highly innovative (apart from Dungeon Keeper), and b) I think Triumph made quite a good work on it (so much about brand recognition :D ).
I think I'll buy it one day nevertheless, but rather for a "bargain-bin-price".

I was pretty dissapointed by the fact that it hardly allowed the character to be REALLY cruel. Everything was sugar coated with humour and jokes. I don't believe in good/evil or in branding deeds/people/nations/etc... good or evil so I rather use the words Cruel/helpfull or something :D
But back to the point. I would have liked to see some really dark / cruel things in the game, perhaps just as an option. No torture, No blood, No crying or begging, No violent deaths.. etc.. etc... Would have been nice for a change.

Still, I enjoyed the humour too and it was a nice game and even felt fresh sometimes.

Back
Top Bottom