RIP Saruman

P

pibbur who

Or Dracula.
Or Count Dooku.
Or ….

Christopher Lee died 7th of june..

pibbur who seems to be a messenger of death

While I'm not a big fan of making the death of famous people into something more important than the death of anyone else, I have to say this has an impact on me.

Quite a life he seemed to have.

It bothers me a little that Peter Jackson had to taint his stint as Saruman by doing those awful Hobbit movies, as I think about his work in LotR as some of his finest.

Just got the news. Very sad, though it's safe to say he's led a full life.

I'll definitely miss his great talent, immense presence, signature voice and deep intonation.

He's also the only actor I can think of who could wear a turtleneck sweater and still look menacing. (The Wicker Man) :)

I've been meaning to revisit my Hammer collection, this will provide more than enough motivation…RIP Mr Lee!

Edit: Just to show how multi-talented he was:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=305viYB-G1U

He also gave voice to Death in Discworld movies and cartoons.Even those those are questionable quality he's performance was great.I hear his voice in my head every time I read Discworld novel.

He had an awesome life and I hope he died peacefully and without much pain.

Someone shared this story in facebook and my mobile facebook app poped a big thumbs up button (like button) urging me to press it!!!

Very sad. We seem to be losing a lot of the old guard recently.

He was a big heavy metal fan, too.

Alas, the last of the hammer old guard apart from Jack Nicholson.

Time was if the listing showed Lee, Cushing , Price or Nicholson then you were in for a fun film.

Way too many appearances to mention, but also special note to being The Man With The Golden Gun, what would a career of villains be without being a Bond villain. But, wow, what a long career! I once saw an old war movie from 1957 (the same year he got the Frankenstein role) and there was Lee playing a bit part as a random thug - it's a long and hard won career from thug-extra to Saruman :wry:

And he'd already been acting 10 years. 281 acting credits, and that war movie isn't even listed (you can see him listed in the movie's entry though).

Found this:

Attachments

• Sir_Christopher_Lee.jpg
    Sir_Christopher_Lee.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 65
His role as King Haggard in The Last Unicorn must needs be mentioned, which he dubbed both in the English and German version. I didn't know he spoke so many other languages as well -- did he ever make use of that feat in movies like Christoph Waltz did in Mr. Tarantino's films?

He obviously lived a long life and prospered.

I just read an article about him, and I was shocked when I realized he was 93 years old. I thought he was in his late 70s. He always seemed a lot younger than his actual age.

Damn. I was just marveling that he was still alive and working. Incredible longevity. Sad he has past but talk about a full life experience! What a character :)

His greatest accomplishment was fighting Nazis back in WW2 and he was a war hero. With Lee being fluent in German he was used after the war to interrogate Nazi war criminals. A great man indeed.

Peter Jackson: Imagine the sound a man makes when he is stabbed in the back. Christopher Lee: I don't have to imagine that.

That has to be the coolest words ever spoken in history :) I salute you and hope you are having a drink with Peter Cushing at this very moment. I will have a drink tonight to honor these great men.

His role as King Haggard in The Last Unicorn must needs be mentioned, which he dubbed both in the English and German version.

Yes - that was impressive and gave the German version an … eerie voice. It was good German, but the way it was pronounced sounded to me very odd - which imho fitted very well to that character.

As someone in the local press wrote : "The unthinkable has happened ! Dracula died !"

It was expected at his age, but still shocking news.
RIP

Back
Top Bottom