Star Wars: The Old Republic Free-to-Play Restrictions Detailed

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Pretty much what I expected. I thought EA would restrict the story elements but they didn't just everything else. I just might give it a try now.

Link-http://www.swtor.com/free/features

No real interest, but I have to say that that's a heckuva lot of "Limited Access", story content or not.

The best F2P models I've seen have been those of DDO & CoH. Neither are obnoxious in segregating their player base.

No real interest, but I have to say that that's a heckuva lot of "Limited Access", story content or not.

The best F2P models I've seen have been those of DDO & CoH. Neither are obnoxious in segregating their player base.

I'm only interested in the story and most F2P rpg's limit most of what you can do. There just making you buy cartel coins or a subscription to get unlimited play options. F2P doesn't mean you get everything free.

Except it's almost nothing like KotOR3 would have been, but whatever you want ;)

Except it's almost nothing like KotOR3 would have been, but whatever you want ;)

Well you take what you can get as we never will have Kotor 3. :)

Since I'm currently on STO, there is no way I'll go for another space MMO for a while.
Unless it's something revolutionary. And it is not.

Besides, I was never SW #1 fan.

But I have an idea - if a guild/fleet/team is available, I think it'd be great to put couch and dart in the same one! :D

That would ruin my reputation. I'm surprisingly likable when interacting outside of debates ;)

But I have an idea - if a guild/fleet/team is available, I think it'd be great to put couch and dart in the same one! :D

We probably would kill each other instead of working together as a team. He complains to much and me well I'm anti-social. I prefer to be a lone wolf anyway.;)

The F2P is a disguised free trial with way too much limitations...

Dunno what to say... I've played plenty of F2P games, and some were interesting and fun enough to make me buy more content (for example unlocking new areas in wizard101), but some were so bad/boring/annoying that buying additional features instead of leaving the game for good was out of a question.

What will happen with SW:TOR? Does the free part contain such stuff that could make you want the stuff that is not free?

What will happen with SW:TOR? Does the free part contain such stuff that could make you want the stuff that is not free?

SWTOR F2P is supposed to let you see all the classes stories (but with character creation limitations and a few gameplay ones) for free. It's pretty much the only thing worth it in the game though (the class stories).

Well I started playing the game after downloading the damn client for almost 2 hrs. I'm not impressed and can see why the game is F2P now.

You are also restricted to only three races for each class. As many have already said the game would of fit better if it wasn't made to be a MMO.

Last edited:
Their restrictions are ludicrous. I think it's just another example of EA not understanding their audience - no matter how hard they try making games into products. I'm thankful they're not smarter, as it wouldn't take much of a brain to turn their empire into a dominant one.

Their restrictions are ludicrous.

This is an understatement. SWTOR "F2P" is the most restrictive F2P I have ever seen. Actually, it looks more like a free trial that try to nickel and dime the people trying the game along the way.

They just want people to move back to the sub version and spend money in the new cash shop.

They're stupid enough to claim they have a great game with the only problem being that people were simply unwilling to pay a sub for it. That's their first mistake. If games like Rift, WoW and EvE are proof of anything - it's that fans are definitely willing to pay a sub for games they think are worthy playing.

Their second mistake is how they've implemented this F2P model.

Really, they must be exceedingly stupid to believe in this approach. Amazing, actually.

This will only serve to drive people away and have them badmouth it even more. Being EA - that's the last thing they need.

But it's well deserved.

well - it did cost $300 million. star wars galaxies was supposed to be a sure thing too.

300 millions for that crap?
ROTFL

Back
Top Bottom