Let's discuss the forum structure again

So how about a simple and short structure for the RPG forum like this:

- tactical RPGs (CRPGs)
- action RPGs (aRPGs)
- MMORPGs
- JPRGs

And every franchise or single game could get a sub-forum under one of these categories if the need arises.

categories is a difficult one as there are far too many categories one can think of. And games tend to be into more than one category.

categories is a difficult one as there are far too many categories one can think of. And games tend to be into more than one category.

And as evidenced by 100 threads over 10 years, the second you arbitrarily try and classify most games you will have 20 people disagreeing with you. :)

What about using the actual categories feature of Vbulletin? You can create a browsable structure in which things can exist in more than one category. You can't really win when trying to organise things in strict folder hierarchy.

We have the user tagging feature, but that's pretty useless and filled with spam entries (I would get rid of it). But a defined set of categories could work well.

I don't care about the division by company because what I care about is the type of game, not who made it. So if Bioware makes a FPS shooter it'll be in the Bioware forum, and if ID software makes an RPG it will be in the ID forum, so basically we'd have to read all the forums to read about RPGs, which kind of defeats the purpose I think.

Yes, but if we do it by RPG series, we have the same as we have now. That basically means there is no point in changing much.

My only two cents on the forum structure are that there are way too many forums and sub-forums. I think dividing by game type (RPG, JRPG, etc) is easiest and foments the most discussion.

(It's subjective, I know, but I'm more a "few forums with lots of activity" guy, less of a "let's have one forum for like 20 different games" guy.)

High, high up in the mountains of the southwestern
What updates do you want to have? I got from the debate that basically it should stay as it is, with games series as we have now. The only thing left is to move those games forums above the general forums.

I dunno if our current forum version supports it but I feel like these could or should be visible from all subforums, it would add clutter to the screen but those are definitely site-wide topics.

So how about a simple and short structure for the RPG forum like this:

- tactical RPGs (CRPGs)
- action RPGs (aRPGs)
- MMORPGs
- JPRGs

And every franchise or single game could get a sub-forum under one of these categories if the need arises.

I like this approach.

Back
Top Bottom