Skyrim Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
WHO CARES about the engine lol. It will be a 3d first person/3rd person (depending on your preference) game, and it will be awesome (as Arena, Daggerfall, Morrowind and Oblivion were). Can't wait for this!! although yeah, I didn't really care much about dragons, I hate them in games (in a bad way)

Not to dampen this lovely spam about Morrowind/Oblivion engine.
but
NOBODY CARES.
and
FYI- Netimmerse was renamed Gamebyro in 2003, so technicly the orginal Morrowind used NetImmerse while its expansions and oblivion used gamebyro. However OBLIVION was being made before NetImmerse was called GameByro so technicly they actually BOTH used NETIMMERSE.
However. netimmerse/gamebyro is actually the Name of the Dev-Kit.. which included a core engine and tools... and isnt the name of the engine itself.
So unless both of you can provide what the engine itself was called used in netimmerse/gamebyro, and what version/name was used in Morrowind/Oblivion.. and if Bethdesa renamed there internal version after making modifications..
Claiming they used the same engine is like pissing in into a fan.

you either piss on yourself or get zaped.. so why bother in the first place trying.

you either piss on yourself or get zaped..
This is exactly what some people here like. So while you are completely right with your post you should rather grab some popcorn and enjoy the pointless discussion. :biggrin:

I made an account to post because this was damn near the most pointless argument spamming up a thread I HAVE EVER SEEN.

and I wanted in on it.

This is a discussion forum, we were discussing the engine. Is that not allowed anymore?

Anyway, what's pissing into a fan like? I can't say I've ever tried it, but you seem to have experience in that regard.

I made an account to post because this was damn near the most pointless argument spamming up a thread I HAVE EVER SEEN.

You ought to get around more. This ain't nothin.

Well, we know one thing, the basic tune that has been around since (at least) Morrowind is back. They are half way to getting my money right there. The music in these games has been extremely good. Unlike the Final Fantasy games, they haven't dropped to the level of signing on some pop-artist to sing some piece of drivvel at us.

Hi. I registered here a while ago but it was all "build up" to this day when ES V would be announced so I could say: Oblivion sucks!!! SKyrim isn't even out yet and it's a much better game! YEAH!!!!!

:D

Ok, really... this is good news. As much as I disliked Oblivion (hate is such a strong word), I'm pretty excited about this.

I just hope they:

1) Don't dumb the series down anymore than it already has been
2) Hire more voice actors (good ones)
3) Hire one of the modders that created face models for Morrowind, please!!!
4) Put some work into the 3rd person view or just leave it the heck out
5) Bring back cliffhangers (JK!)

Well, we know one thing, the basic tune that has been around since (at least) Morrowind is back. They are half way to getting my money right there. The music in these games has been extremely good. Unlike the Final Fantasy games, they haven't dropped to the level of signing on some pop-artist to sing some piece of drivvel at us.

The trailer give strong Morrowind flashbacks too:
The background drums in the music (taken from Morrowind's Theme),
the Dragon symbol at the end (slightly different from the on seen on the Morrowind box, the Akavir/Imperial symbol)
and the way we got the game "plot" (a prophecy).

Hi. I registered here a while ago but it was all "build up" to this day when ES V would be announced so I could say: Oblivion sucks!!! SKyrim isn't even out yet and it's a much better game! YEAH!!!!!

:D

Ok, really… this is good news. As much as I disliked Oblivion (hate is such a strong word), I'm pretty excited about this.

I just hope they:

1) Don't dumb the series down anymore than it already has been
2) Hire more voice actors (good ones)
3) Hire one of the modders that created face models for Morrowind, please!!!
4) Put some work into the 3rd person view or just leave it the heck out
5) Bring back cliffhangers (JK!)

Hate isn't a strong enough word when it comes to Oblivion.

Not Dragons.

Akavir aka "Dragon Land".

I'm not sure I trust Bethesda anymore to go for something that subtle. Especially after they made the Akaviri into humans in Oblivion. But it would be nice, yeah!

I'm not sure I trust Bethesda anymore to go for something that subtle. Especially after they made the Akaviri into humans in Oblivion. But it would be nice, yeah!

I wish Bethesda would stay consistent with their lore. I thought it was generally acknowledged that Akavir used to be populated by a human race long ago, but had since been taken over by various beast races.

If the engine was called NetImmerse, then the game used NetImmerse. What later iterations were called is irrelevant.

But that's if you want to use strict logic.

If you want to talk in "pragmatic" terms, then I think it can go both ways. Either you think that the two different iterations are basically the same thing, or you don't. There's really no clear-cut answer.

I had a similarly long-winded and pointless discussion about the Unreal Engine, and I finally had to concede to myself that Unreal Engine 2.5 (or whatever) wasn't the same as Unreal Engine 3+. Both Unreal engines, but really quite different.

I think it's obvious that Oblivion/Fallout use a much more advanced engine - but how much of that is the other licensed stuff, like Havok and SpreedTree - I really don't know. Fallout 3 certainly streams A LOT better than the previous two.

As for Skyrim:

No matter how much I loathe Bethesda mechanics and writing - I'm in love with the open world concept, and I think that if you separate mechanics and writing - they're the BEST open world games in existence, even better than the Gothics.

So, I'm very interested in what they do with it.

That said, I'd prefer they didn't set each game in a separate area of Tamriel. It's too rigid for my tastes, and I'd prefer if they worked towards what they originally attempted with Daggerfall.

I think the TES design philosophy is well suited for procedurally generated content, which would seem to be the way to accomplish the entire world of Tamriel - and given their work on "Radiant AI" - it would seem the natural next step. But then, the first couple of games/attempts would likely not work quite as well as they should, and it would be a lot more work.

But that's what I would have preferred, personally.

Still, looking forward to it.

I think it's safe to say that most fans don't want randomly generated content. At least that's the impression that I get. Bethesda needs to start making more of an effort to focus on quality over quantity.

The games are big enough now anyways, almost too big imo. :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom