Fave Modern RPG?

Gothic, Risen, Fallout 3 modded, The Witcher 2, Bloodlines, NWN, and others.

The witcher 1 & 2, nwn 1&2, gothic 3 and dao minus awakening that was the beginning of the end.

I agree, DKS is an awesome game and I really enjoyed playing it. But there were a few design choices that really took away that feeling of living in a fully realized world -

- No day/night cycle (but lots of lore in the game talking about night time…)
- A rather disjointed gameworld
- Certain areas locked away once you progress the story to a certain point
- Extremely limited movement in dragon form

If the above 4 items weren't the case, DKS would be my modern day number one over G2.

Thanks for this excellent review TMG.

This game is on sale at a local shop and was wondering if I should pick it up, I had read mixed reviews on the original game(Ego Draconis) so came here to see what the folks at the Watch thought.
But after reading your review I'm heading out this morning to get it.

Just reading the connection to Ultima 7 was enough lol, as it's one of my all time favorites along with Divine Divinity.

So thanks again.

NWN2 OC for me. While it had its flaws, it sucked me in like no other RPG since BG2.

Let's see.
Morrowind for its open ended and interesting word. I thought the setting in Morrowind was far better than that in the other TES games.
Vampire the masquerade bloodlines for being faithful to its tabletop counterpart, interesting plot and characters.
Gothic 1 for its setting and fun gameplay. I liked both Gothic 2 & 3 as well, but I found the setting in G1 to be the best of the lot.
Drakensang The river of time for its rule system and interesting character building.
Arcanum because I love the fantasy/steampunk setting
Alpha protocol for how it handled dialogues and how your actions in one part of the game impacted the rest of it.

List would look different if I was in a different mood ;)

Honourable mentions: Dragon age: origins, mass effect 2, The witcher, Drakensang 1, Divine Divinity, Ultima Underworld 2 (not sure if it belongs on the list, how 3d does the norm have to be?), Fallout new Vegas (not as good as Fallout 1 & 2, but superior to 3), Mount & blade: Warbands.

Finally, I'd actually like to mention Mass Effect. I simply love it. The setting, characters, story. It really blew me away when I first played it. Unfortunately, ME2 never had the same effect.

I agree completely, I'm also baffled by the fanboy love for ME2. They scrapped perfectly functional gameplay in ME1 for something that feels like a 'choose your own adventure' book in ME2.

The issues I had with ME1 was the side quests and the driving. There were plenty of sidequests, but they were boring, and the driving sequences were terrible. Oh, and the elevators, once the characters ran out of elevator dialogues, the elevators became incredibly boring.

I'm going to cheat and vote for the NWN2 franchise. Each of the three games offered different styles of gameplay and I found them all incredibly fun.

Hmm, a bit broad….

I'd probably say Gothic.

System Shock 2 would qualify, but even though I consider it an RPG-light - it's not really an RPG, is it :)

"Modern"? Deus Ex is ancient by todays standards. Vampire Bloodlines is 7 years old. Neverwinter Nights 2, Gothic 3 and Oblivion was released in the same year I think (2006) so they are 5 years old.

Reduce the list to 2010-2011 and what do you got? Risen, Mass Effect 2, Call of Pripyat, Fallout New Vegas etc.

Going only by the last two years for my "modern" RPG, my pick is Fallout New Vegas.

It depends on what you mean by modern, really.

Morrowind tops the list, followed by Vampire Bloodines, New Vegas, Arcanum, and FO3. Oblivion's there, but several tiers lower.

I'm in the tiny minority that thinks Bioware games are hugely overrated.

"Modern"? Deus Ex is ancient by todays standards. Vampire Bloodlines is 7 years old. Neverwinter Nights 2, Gothic 3 and Oblivion was released in the same year I think (2006) so they are 5 years old.

Reduce the list to 2010-2011 and what do you got? Risen, Mass Effect 2, Call of Pripyat, Fallout New Vegas etc..

Um.. "modern" isn't just the last 2 years. VTM:B, NWN2, Gothic 3, and Oblivion are most definitely modern by most standards.

Um.. "modern" isn't just the last 2 years. VTM:B, NWN2, Gothic 3, and Oblivion are most definitely modern by most standards.

I reflected on the problem that there have been very few games like that since 2006.

Wizardry 8 indeed, though I have to add Gothic 2: NotR which shares the top with it.

Oblivion gets my vote, though FNV is a close 2nd. NWN2 was a blast also. I never played Wiz8 very far. When combats would typically take 20 minutes per battle, that was the end of my interest in that game.

I love W8 for the character development system. I like turned-based combat, but many repeated 20 minute battles tested my patience!

Yes, even with that tool some combats took 20 minutes. Can you imagine what it would be like without that tool! Yikes! Sadly, the tool doesn't get trid of the repetition, though...

Back
Top Bottom