Cyberpunk 2077 - RPG Elements

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
RPG Site checked out the RPG Elements of Cyberpunk 2077:

Cyberpunk 2077 hands-on: 8 points for RPG fans

There's a lot of questions to be answered about Cyberpunk 2077. The biggest question is, of course, if it's any good. Coming off the back of The Witcher 3, one of the most highly regarded RPGs of all time, CD Projekt RED has a lot to live up to.

The release is fast approaching, and even in the wake of another delay Night City feels so close that we can practically taste it. We've now been hands on, playing the game from character creation through four hours of story, side content and open-world exploration.

Rather than a traditional preview, we thought we'd have an internal conversation on the RPG Site team, coming up with questions we figured RPG fans might want answered from that hands-on. So, here's our hands-on impressions with the biggest RPG of 2020, Cyberpunk 2077.

[...]

Obviously Cyberpunk 2077 is based off of the Cyberpunk tabletop game, so I assume a large part of the creation mimics what one would draft as a character sheet?

As far as stats go, it's pretty simple, but I think as an RPG Site it's pretty important we talk about this one in more detail. What I want to say off the bat is that this is a fully-featured RPG. RPG fans won't be disappointed.

So, it's classic RPG stats but with a Cyberpunk twist in naming and stuff. So the stats are Body, Reflexes, Technical Ability, Intelligence and Cool. Body impacts things like health and heavy weapons, while Reflexes will be speed and rifles and stuff, for example.

As well as pumping points into these as you level up, each stat has its own set of related perks that can be unlocked. It seems like the more points you've put into a category, the more access you have to purchase perks in that category. Perks in Body might give you extra health, for instance, while perks in Reflexes might make you move quicker or make handling of Rifles more smooth. Intelligence perks seemed to be centered around hacking and stuff like that, while Cool actually had some stealth perks - presumably because keeping cool under pressure allows you to stay hidden better when you almost get spotted.

That's how it works, but obviously there's progression beyond points and stats.

[...]
More information.

That's a bit reassuring, we'll see I guess.

As I said elsewhere, I preordered it long ago before I saw the GTA footage, so only remains waiting to wait til I can actually play it myself.

It sounds similar in many way to the Fallout 4 character system, which people around here complained about to no end. The same people will probably be willing to forgive it in this game, though.

It sounds similar in many way to the Fallout 4 character system, which people around here complained about to no end. The same people will probably be willing to forgive it in this game, though.

1 - I'm sure people will indeed complain. They always do.

2 - I'm tired of people telling me I should hate this game for this or that reason

3 - Perks essentially replaced skills in Fallout 4. CP2077 has attributes with their attendant perks, AND skills. Uh oh, I guess that was me forgiving it.

1 - I'm sure people will indeed complain. They always do.

2 - I'm tired of people telling me I should hate this game for this or that reason

3 - Perks essentially replaced skills in Fallout 4. CP2077 has attributes with their attendant perks, AND skills. Uh oh, I guess that was me forgiving it.

hqdefault.jpg

I though the perk system is FO4 was pretty sucky.

I just don't get what people expected in a large open world game set in the near-future: how did they think you'd be getting around the place if it wasn't going to be some sort of GTA-esque driving? Jetpacks?

I just don't get what people expected in a large open world game set in the near-future: how did they think you'd be getting around the place if it wasn't going to be some sort of GTA-esque driving? Jetpacks?

Cyborg dragons.

50056071092_cdb9ded7cd_b.jpg

I guess air cars would be a serious option - I wonder if they actually will have driveable (pilotable?) air cars, or if they'll only be computer-driven pick-a-destination ones like the one used in the corp-background footage.

I guess air cars would be a serious option - I wonder if they actually will have driveable (pilotable?) air cars, or if they'll only be computer-driven pick-a-destination ones like the one used in the corp-background footage.

I believe they said at one point that there would be no pilotable flying cars, though they would exist in the world (as we see in the first trailer)

And to your earlier post, yeah. Of course you'll be driving around. It's not the developers fault that for some cars plus guns must needs equal "GTA! It's just GTA!"

I believe they said at one point that there would be no pilotable flying cars, though they would exist in the world (as we see in the first trailer)

And to your earlier post, yeah. Of course you'll be driving around. It's not the developers fault that for some cars plus guns must needs equal "GTA! It's just GTA!"

Yeah, those people. It-s like when there is a ball and some people in shorts kicking it around and you win by putting the ball into some rectangular nets at the ends of the field and they're "A football game! It's a football game!". Anyone knows that is a RPG since the developers introduced RPG elements even though they showed no footage of it whatsoever and all we ever saw was people in shorts kicking a ball around.

Yeah, those people. It-s like when there is a ball and some people in shorts kicking it around and you win by putting the ball into some rectangular nets at the ends of the field and they're "A football game! It's a football game!". Anyone knows that is a RPG since the developers introduced RPG elements even though they showed no footage of it whatsoever and all we ever saw was people in shorts kicking a ball around.

Have you even played a GTA game?

Have you even played a GTA game?

Ad hominem comebacks, they work in first grade. You will find nothing here. Either address the point, or don't address anything at all, I have no interest in petty disputes.

I do think it is a shame that you can fly/see but not pilot flying cars. I can gues why that decision was made (complexity increase in terms of need to have a detailed city in 3 dimensions)… but it's still a shame.

A hover-car alternative would have also been nice, as a compromise. With the option for small jumps, and so on. But that would also reach limits in terms of vertical city designs, if the base grid is not flat.

I do think it is a shame that you can fly/see but not pilot flying cars. I can gues why that decision was made (complexity increase in terms of need to have a detailed city in 3 dimensions)… but it's still a shame.

A hover-car alternative would have also been nice, as a compromise. With the option for small jumps, and so on. But that would also reach limits in terms of vertical city designs, if the base grid is not flat.
It's the same problem Bethesda is apparently having with Starfield given the few leaks over the last few years on reddit. It has to do with elevators and flying vehicles.

Still remember the clip how they had to make the train move in Gamebryo.

It was hilarious.:lol:

Still remember the clip how they had to make the train move in Gamebryo.

The train was actually an NPC hat or glove or something. Funny, creative solution to a problem the engine couldn't handle properly.

I finally completed Witcher 3 only a couple months ago. I started and stopped it several times over the years, but never pushed through to the ending until recently.

The best and most lasting parts of W3 to me were the characters. The gameplay was fine, the RPG mechanics were serviceable. I felt like exploration was too heavily linked to the story. It worked in W3, but it mainly worked if you just followed the story.

The writing and characters were simply the best part. I loved hanging out with (most) of the characters in W3. Geralt was a strong protagonist, with the kind of semi-cynical attitude I like for a hero. Without being concept-breaking cynical. Ciri was pretty cool, though I can do without the Chosen One tropes. Many of the other characters felt fleshed out and fun in their own ways.

If I had to play W3 with a bland, customizable but personality-free main character, I doubt I'd even LIKE the game. Geralt was the heart and soul of W3. I certainly didn't play it for the action, or the character builds, or the loot, or anything else.

I just haven't seen ANYTHING from Cyberpunk that showcases interesting characters. That's what makes me lukewarm on the game—from what I've seen. I hope to be pleasantly surprised by Cyberpunk. But it's looking overly grim and violent. W3 was grim and violent, but I always had Geralt as a likable figure at the center of the game. It put the grim dark violence in a context that made me feel connected to continuing and keep playing.

W3 was a LONG game with the add-ons. Almost too long, IMO. But again— Geralt and the characters kept me playing. Without Geralt, I'm certain I'd never have finished W3.

Fingers crossed for Cyberpunk. But so far? Other than flashy graphics and the CDProjekt name… It's not looking great to me.

So basically: CDProjekt made a great game. The game was great because of characters, voice acting and story and lore. Hugely memorable voice acting, characters and story. But the rest of the game was solid, but not great.

Now CDProjekt is making a followup game. I have seen everything from Cyberpunk except characters, voice acting, lore and story. So... what am I supposed to be excited about? They excelled in certain parts of a game, making a masterpiece in a way. And their followup game seems to feature NONE of what made W3 so great.

Back
Top Bottom