General News - Elder Scrolls Creators founded OnceLost Games

All the talk of Daggerfall as the comparison point makes me assume that they are again trying to create a randomly / procedurally created, massive open world game. Which I think always is more interesting in theory than in practice. Whenever a game uses randomly generated content, it's the worst part of the experience. Hand-crafted worlds / stories / locations / characters just tend to be much more interesting and rewarding for a player. Even the best "random" games like Nethack are actually pretty carefully hand-crafted, the randomness is merely an illusion used to improve re-playability.

I think a genuinely strong Daggerfall-type game would require a much better A.I than what is yet possible. It would essentially need a "dungeonmaster" which would be able to generate endless random content with intelligence, nuance and substance. I think we are still at least 10 years away from that, in the gaming world.

On Discord Ted had this to say (in different posts):"We've been calling our system dynamic composition which is basically procedural generation done right. We definitely recognize the flaws in the system we created 25 years ago for Daggerfall but with a little wisdom and some technological advances, we shouldn't repeat the same mistakes … though we might make some new ones!"

One thing I find useful in thinking about dynamic composition in general, from NPCs to towns to dungeons, is to think in terms of "seeds" and "sub-seeds." For example, the seed may be an underground city type dungeon, which comes with certain architectural elements, texture sets, monster encounters, quests, etc and a possibility of certain "sub-seeds," like bandits hangout, vampire's crypt, basically any secondary use the structure also contains. That helps create a history around the site, from its origin as a town that was buried in a volcanic eruption to it later being discovered and inhabited by a forbidden cult forced to go literally underground by authorities.\

Yes. I am calling it dynamic generation not procedurally generated. A lot will be hand created (as it was in Daggerfall) but the code will fill in the blanks for terrain, architecture, NPCs, quests, etc

"Dynamic" is our term, not "radiant," fwiw. It's not so binary between dynamic and fixed. Hard to explain without spoilers. I guess the plainest way to put it is there aren't any quests that won't be altered at least somewhat by things like the player's reputation with the quest giver, world and local situations, etc

Also, Ted mentioned they aren't making an exact copy of Daggerfall. He already mentioned that if you attack something with a weapon and are in-range it will connect for example.

But I have to admit, I'm curious how well someone could do this with the current level of gaming technology.

Listen to the Julian's interview I post earlier past 2.5 hours into it. He talks a bit about how it would do it tech-wise "now" (2 years ago).

Back
Top Bottom