Couchpotato's Random RPG News

Does Anyone Read This Thread for News?

• Yes

Votes: 53 89.8%
  • No

Votes: 6 10.2%

• Total voters
I'm not surprised with the second Pillars offering making its way to the Switch, with the release of the newest version of the console, I suspect we'll see an influx of even more games shortly. Those other D&D bundles look pretty nice as well.

Pretty much a given when anything is made for the other two major consoles. The real question is why does it take so long.

Two reasons I think: a) the inferior and unique hardware and; b) the incredible bureaucracy and hurdles you have to go through to get anything done on Nintendo.

Well long time since I updated. :blush:

So here we go.

I wont be embedding links as it takes to long.:cool:

Disco Elysium - Sex, Drugs, And Dice Rolls (Jimpressions)

Why Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines 2 Was Delayed

Outrage media almost ruined one of the greatest games ever made

Link - https://www.sausageroll.com.au/ente...t-ruined-one-of-the-greatest-games-ever-made/
What is the perfect game? Does it even exist? I think I found something pretty damn close. Kingdom Come: Deliverance is a masterpiece that was buried by outrage media.

Obsidian Entertainment’s The Outer World left me craving a game dripping with depth, so I took to the Xbox Game Pass library to see if I could find something similar. I was really hoping to find Alpha Protocol because despite its many technical flaws it’s about as rich in story as their new game, but what I found was much, much better.
What Makes a Good Quest?

Link -https://www.exclusivelygames.com/what-makes-a-good-quest/
You’re a level 1 warrior who has just walked into the local tavern, wearing naught but some poor-quality leather armor and carrying a rusty dagger and an old buckler. As you approach the bar, the tavern keeper tells you that unfortunately, there isn’t any ale; the cellar is overrun with rats–20 of them, to be precise. He offers you five gold to kill the rats. Congratulations, you’ve just received your first quest.
RPG Codex Review: Disco Elysium

Link - https://rpgcodex.net/article.php?id=11281
I don’t think that Disco Elysium is the greatest game of them all or something like that. To think that, one would need to place it in the old and tired hierarchy of cRPGs. Doing so would be missing the entire point. DE is not the best; it’s unlike the rest: in its form, attitude, inspirations, aesthetic principles. An alien from the art planetoid that has brought a taste of real disco with it. I’d say it’s a didactic tale more than anything else. It shows that video games can be a vessel for more than various shades of entertainment and outsider art: the lesson is liberating as much as it is traumatic. It’s not very clear how to proceed from this point forward, but god knows, the medium needed this wake-up call.
Designing the gameplay and aesthetic of Diablo IV

Link - https://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/353292/Designing_the_gameplay_and_aesthetic_of_Diablo_IV.php
Last week, to much popular acclaim, Blizzard announced the development of Diablo IV, the latest sequel in its long-running action RPG franchise.

As more details on the game have emerged during BlizzCon this weekend it's become clear that the veteran developer is making some serious changes to the franchise, with a new engine, a new aesthetic, and new possibilities for the popular dungeon crawling series.

During the show, lead systems designer David Kim and lead lighting artist Sean Murphy were able to share some insight about what it's like working on Diablo IV and explain some of the key ideas driving the game's development.
Blizzard explains how Diablo IV is different from Diablo III

Link - https://venturebeat.com/2019/11/02/blizzard-explains-how-diablo-iv-is-different-from-diablo-iii/
At BlizzCon, I interviewed Diablo IV lead systems designer David Kim and lead lighting artist Sean Murphy. I asked them what makes Diablo IV different from its predecessor, along with some questions about plans for expansions and everyone’s favorite tech, ray tracing.
Tim Cain's hatred of white chocolate made it into The Outer Worlds

Link - https://www.pcgamer.com/how-tim-cai...de-it-into-the-outer-worlds-as-an-easter-egg/
The next time I tell someone I love chocolate, a voice in the back of my head will be calling me a liar. Love? It'll say. You only like chocolate. Tim Cain? Tim Cain loves chocolate. I talked to the co-director of The Outer Worlds a week after its successful launch, eager to ask what was next, but first we ended up talking about chocolate.

It ties back into The Outer Worlds, though. I promise.

"We usually have chocolate meetings now," he says as soon as we start talking. "Every day at 2:30, I send out on a chocolate Slack channel that I have new chocolate. We had enough bandwidth it deserved its own channel. I usually send out the [details]: If it's single origin, what country it's from, the cacao percentage, any flavoring agents. We all eat a piece and we talk about it and then I blog it, and so that way I have a list of everything chocolate I've eaten since 1993 and whether I liked it."
Dragon Age 4: All the rumors and details we know so far

Link - https://www.pcgamer.com/dragon-age-4-release-date-news-trailer/
Dragon Age 4 was, for several years, one of the most open secrets in gaming. After the ending of Dragon Age: Inquisition's final DLC made it very clear that the saga of Thedas was far from over, we've been expecting another Dragon Age game to follow it. Despite BioWare constantly dodging any official confirmation that the fourth game is in the works, clues have long hinted that it was underway. Executive Producer Mark Darrah is a constant Twitter user fond of retweeting fan works and making cryptic statements to tease fans.

At The Game Awards in December 2018, BioWare released a teaser trailer for what we can only assume is Dragon Age 4. Although there's precious little information to be learned from the brief video, we do know something is in the works, and more recent clues from Bioware have made us think an announcement could be imminent.

Here's everything we know about Dragon Age 4's existence, a possible release date, trailers, characters, and more.

Sadly, too many things at the same spot made the most important (IMO) article from sausageroll burried.
Andreas, RockPaperShotgun, said that the developers were merely masking their bigotry under the guise of recreating historical accuracy and refused to score the game. He echoes outrage medias sentiment by declaring Kingdom Come racist.

Charlie Hall at Polygon joined the Kingdom Come outrage called it a beautiful but boring game with a narrative that is outdated in the current year. He also felt insulted because “his mother is a Bohemian descendent” and the game, for him, did not accurately portray his heritage. “Warhorse is a team of more than 150 people, but the game’s creative director has gone out of his way to rationalise his support of GamerGate, a loosely knit hate group that has devoted time to harassing women, people of colour and journalists in the past,” he wrote.
Etc etc in that article, the actual problem is these sites did not stop with making trolling clickbait titles. Luckily for KCD, the sheer amount of bullshittery from sites that deserved being added to ad-block/uBlock for malice didn't ruin game sales, but who knows what will happen with some future game.

For Azeroth - 25 Years of Warcraft

For twenty-five years, the world of Azeroth has defined immersive gaming and epic storytelling. Shaped by endless conflict, the Warcraft universe has borne witness to the rise and fall of heroes, villains, and adventurers.
The Outer Worlds is a commercial success & sequel

Link - https://venturebeat.com/2019/11/07/take-two-the-outer-worlds-is-outperforming-expectations/
Publisher Take-Two Interactive says that it is happy with the launch of The Outer Worlds. Take-Two subsidiary Private Division published the space role-playing adventure from developer Obsidian on October 25. That put it outside of the company’s Q2 earnings reporting period, but Take-Two said that the game should have a noticeable impact on its Q3 results.

“It’s outperforming our expectations handily,” Take-Two chief executive Strauss Zelnick said today on a conference call with investors. “We’re very happy.”
The Outer Worlds Interview about NPC Design

Link - https://www.gamespot.com/articles/what-makes-an-interesting-npc-the-outer-worlds-dev/1100-6471072/
Who doesn't love a good-old video game hero? The power, the glory, the gravitational pull that brings items, quests, and excitement your way--heroes make the game, right? Well, yes and no. In the case of The Outer Worlds, and plenty of other games from Obsidian Entertainment, you, AKA the hero, are rarely the most interesting person in the room. Obsidian is well known for crafting offbeat personalities and for writing clever dialogue that makes its RPGs almost endlessly entertaining, and the recent release of The Outer Worlds serves as a strong reminder why the team deserves that reputation.

We recently had the chance to sit down with narrative designer, Nitai Poddar, and co-game director, Leonard Boyarsky, to discuss what goes into the creation of an NPC at Obsidian. It's no accident that characters like the Moon Man in The Outer Worlds wind up stealing the show, and to hear the two creators discuss their process, it's evident that the people behind these memorable characters get just as much enjoyment out of them as we do.
ATOM RPG Update- Sneak Peek at Trudograd

Link - https://steamcommunity.com/games/552620/announcements/detail/1617282814893010712
Today, we wish to share with you the work we’ve done on Atom RPG’s standalone addon Trudograd so far.
Drox Operative Sequel In Development

Link - http://www.soldak.com/Blogs/Steven/Drox-Operative-2.html
For those of you that follow us on social media or our forums this isn't a surprise, but I've started working on the design of what will probably end up being Drox Operative 2. I say probably because to me design is kind of an exploration and you aren't completely sure where you will end up. I'm pretty sure it will end up being Drox Operative 2, but Din's Legacy was originally going to be a mutating, permadeath, generational character type of game. The mutations is the only part that stuck (the rest just didn't work well enough with the mutation system).

Currently, and this all could easily change, I have 3 focuses to make this game better than the first Drox Operative.

Wasteland 3 Extended Gameplay: Alpha Demo (2019)
Wasteland 3 is an upcoming cRPG from InXile, set for an early 2020 launch for PS4, Xbox One, and PC. Take a look at some early gameplay from the backed Alpha demo, which has our daring wasteland rangers infiltrate a drug cultist's lair.
Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines 2 Interview - PC Gamer
Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines 2 received a very enthusiastic reception when it was announced earlier this year, but that enthusiasm was also accompanied by 15 years of expectations and rose-tinted memories. It's one of the reasons Paradox Interactive and Hardsuit Labs decided to delay the launch. The team wants to match those memories, says narrative director Brian Mitsoda, rather than the reality.
Masquerade - Bloodlines 2 Interview Followup - PC Gamer
With the Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines 2 release date pushed back until later in 2020, there wasn’t anything new shown off at publisher Paradox’s recent annual convention. Even so, I caught up with senior narrative designer Cara Ellison to chat about why vampires are still cool, what makes a good vampire story in 2019, and how fun it can be to embrace your undead avatar’s mischievous side.
Swen Vincke Interview - Game Informer
Swen Vincke wasn’t always on top. From basic beginnings and a scrappy, dark path through the often tumultuous games industry, the founder of Larian Studios has gone from sneaking into trade shows to helming one of the most anticipated RPGs of all time with Baldur’s Gate 3. We spoke with Vincke about Larian’s tough climb to greatness.
Another Divinity: Original Sin 2 free Gift Bag DLC Released - Official Post
Today we’re releasing our latest Gift Bag: Order & Magic. Packed full of new features – including options to randomize combat, increase your haggling ability, and organise your sweet, sweet loot – all of which will be effortlessly added to your game, absolutely free.

As ever, the contents of each Gift Bag are accessible via the in-game menu, where you can independently enable or disable each individual feature. Of course, these are compatible with all prior Gift Bags (Beauty Salon and Song Of Nature), and you’re free to enable as many or as few as you'd like!
New Larian office in Malaysia to help Baldur's Gate III- Post
Larian Studios is now following the sun! Our new studio in Malaysia brings the total to 5, so there's always something going on!
Dragon Age 4 Bioware teases announcement - Techradar
So, Anthem may have been a bust, and Mass Effect: Andromeda wasn't exactly stellar either – but there's still hope for Bioware in the shape of the long-awaited Dragon Age 4, which looks set to be revealed soon.

The Dragon Age series marks its 10th anniversary this month, and developer Bioware is teasing that it's got a whole day of celebrations planned just for the occasion on December 4.

Bethesda Is Officially Obsolete (The Jimquisition)

Obsidian's The Outer Worlds Makes Bethesda Look Lazy & Incompetent

I would have to agree that I think Outer Worlds is less interesting than most Obsidian titles I've played.

It's more polished, sure - but not as deep, and the writing is a little watered down and tame compared to their past titles.

Of course, these people would have said it was superior to anything by Bethsoft if it had been a buggy turd with an Obsidian ribbon around it.

Personally, I think Fallout 4 Survival is vastly superior to Outer Worlds in most ways, except the C&C approach. Fallout 76 is unique in terms of not having NPCs (until Wastelanders in 2020) - so it makes little sense to compare them directly, seeing as how the primary strength of Outer Worlds lies within the NPC interactions.

That said, I have to say I think Fallout 76 is miles ahead of Outer Worlds when it comes to scope, balance, exploration, mechanics, loot and it has much more subtle and mature writing for the most part. It also has four times the world size of Fallout 4 with six very distinct biomes - meaning you're looking at perhaps 500 hours of unique content to find. I know I've hardly scratched the surface after some 120+ hours.

So, yeah, I can't agree with these guys on that point.

Now, with that said, FO76 still suffers from an array of technical flaws and stability issues - especially if you mess with the .ini files. You also have to be quite knowledgable about the Creation engine to get it running smoothly - which I gather most people aren't.

Outer Worlds is rock solid in that way, from my experience.

Maybe but the writing is miles ahead of anything Bethesda can produce.

Seriously they need to up their game.:)

That has always been my problem with most Bethesda games. I'm also not the only one who find their games lacking in areas. Still enjoy them but just pointing out my dislike.

They should be ashamed of how they handled Fallout 76 on the PR side.

Almost forget this today.

The Outer Worlds and Patch Preview - Patch Notes
Resolved Issues:

• The crashing issue in Tartarus
• Increase Font Size - Conversations/Subtitles
• Muffled sound effects occur at random times for players on the PS4
• Companions dying and failing companion quests on modes other than Supernova
• Unable to finish "Radio Free Monarch"
• Trophy "Not the Best Choice" fails to unlock properly

Maybe but the writing is miles ahead of anything Bethesda can produce.

Seriously they need to up their game.:)

That has always been my problem with most Bethesda games. I'm also not the only one who find their games lacking in areas. Still enjoy them but just pointing out my dislike.

They should be ashamed of how they handled Fallout 76 on the PR side.

Well, to me, the writing in FO76 is excellent for the most part. It's not a masterpiece or anything, but it's much more in line with my tastes than Outer Worlds.

Of course, almost all of it is delivered through journals and audio tapes - so there's that.

I doubt these guys even played it enough to make that call.

A lot of people bashing on it seem to lack the little key detail of having actually played it.

Not that it comes as a surprise to me :)

Well I did play Fallout 76 its definitely not for me.:)

I probably agree with half of Jim's video not the one below it.

I find Jim Sterling's reviews and opinions often in line with mine. But I think he could make about half as many videos as he currently does. He tends to repeat himself too often. Though I find myself doing the same these days.

I think Jim is a worthless catering schmuck.
Care to explain what Sterling "caters" to?

Care to explain what Sterling "caters" to?

People who confuse corporations out to make money with someone that owes them something.

Originally, he made sense for the most part.

Now, it's just repeating himself endlessly - because he knows there's a bunch of whining entitled outragers who just love hearing how terrible the big companies are for not targeting the minority audience with infinite content for minimal investments.

He's half-assing everything, and vastly exaggerates problems - jumping on the hate bandwagon created by minority ignorants.

In short, a worthless catering schmuck.

Matt Chat 432: George Ziets on ACS, Earth and Beyond, NWN2, and Strongholds

We Need a Mass Effect Remaster - USGamer
It's been over seven years since the Mass Effect trilogy concluded. A space-age role-playing series that defined the last console generation, the series has since fallen by the wayside on current consoles. The only bit of Mass Effect we've had in the time since has been Mass Effect: Andromeda, a spin-off of sorts with its own aspirations away from the Milky Way. That, and some backward compatibility with the Xbox One.
Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord Developer Blog Update - Global Illumination
Greetings warriors of Calradia!

Lighting is an extremely important aspect of any modern game. Bad lighting can make the most detailed models and textures seem drab and lifeless, while good lighting helps to bring together the different visual elements on-screen to provide a more realistic and aesthetically pleasing polish. This is something that we are acutely aware of, and is what led to the introduction of Global Illumination (GI) to our game engine some time back, (which we briefly mentioned at the time in our Engine 1.4 Update blog).

I find Jim Sterling's reviews and opinions often in line with mine.
When it comes to videogame industry itself, in cca 90% I do agree (he didn't want to insinuate certain market practices are used for Money laundering, I wrote it plenty of times on this forum).

When it comes to videogames taste, then the percentage drops to cca 10. The problem are not games he can't stand (I don't want to touch those either), it's games he adores. Most of them I wish never exsted. ;)
He's half-assing everything, and vastly exaggerates problems - jumping on the hate bandwagon created by minority ignorants.

In short, a worthless catering schmuck.
No. When it comes to being ignorant that's not Sterling in this thread.
Just as an example, it was him who revived the several years whales hunting video about scamming people, the video I shove up the arse of any friend who buys lootboxes, doomsday offers and similar bullshit.
His hate is focused on filthy scammers who call themselves CEOs of gaming industry. If you're among those, well, your problem pal, the scam won't stop being scam just because you say so nor because EA chick says "surprise mechanics". To me he isn't worthless.

Back
Top Bottom