Wizardry: Labyrinth of Lost Souls - Released

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
The dungeon crawler Wizardry: Labyrinth of Lost Souls has been released:

Wizardry: Labyrinth of Lost Souls

An old-school challenge in a crisp and colorful package, Wizardry: Labyrinth of Lost Souls revitalizes the time-honored formula of the original dungeon crawler series with modernized visuals and sound.

Choose each of your six team members' class, race, gender, and moral alignment, then delve into one of several dungeons near the central town hub. Advance with caution -- monsters are vicious, deadly, and attack in packs. Plan each expedition carefully, stay focused on your objectives, and know when to retreat to the surface.

In between expeditions, chat with the locals, pick up new quests, pray for guidance at the temple, go bargain-hunting for new/rare equipment, and more. With patience, skill, and careful planning, your party will rise from a gang of paupers to a mighty force.
The magic torches are lit, the monsters are ravenous, and the kingdom is waiting for a new hero. Enter the world of Wizardry: Labyrinth of Lost Souls and experience a classic adventure reborn.

KEY FEATURES

Your Party, Your Way
Choose from eight classes and five races to build a six-person team with diverse but complimentary skill sets. Change their classes in mid-adventure to fit your needs, or focus on leveling up their primary class to earn bonus skills for the party's benefit.

So Beautiful and So Dangerous
Tangle with a menagerie of over 100 distinctive monsters, from the traditional to the bizarre, all drawn by famed series illustrator Jun Suemi. The game also features character illustrations by renowned commercial artist Yuki Hayabusa.

Conquer the Dungeons
Every step through the underworld is fraught with danger, and one wrong move can end your adventure. But if you have the grit to withstand what the dungeons throw at you, both you and your party will gain enough experience to stroll through them like you own them.

Wizardry's Rebirth on PC
The PC remaster of this classic originally released for PlayStation 3 features English and Japanese text with the original Japanese voiceovers, high-resolution graphics, and a brand new Turbo Mode to make exploring the game's massive dungeons a breeze. All story DLC is included, and players can download the Growth Fruit DLC for free to give themselves a boost when creating characters.
More information.

This looks so cheap. Not even monster animations... Some RPG Maker games look better. Why didn´t they start a Kickstarter or something to collect some decent money for a "real" Wizardry successor.

Wishlisted, even because I know I'll buy it sometime ahead. I have a soft spot for dungeon crawlers :)

This looks so cheap. Not even monster animations… Some RPG Maker games look better. Why didn´t they start a Kickstarter or something to collect some decent money for a "real" Wizardry successor.

This was the intended look, it’s not a lack of funds thing. It’s modeled after the early wizardry games. Just be glad they didn’t do wireframe dungeons like the originals.

I’ll be picking this up for sure. I’m a big fan of wiz 1-3. Even more so than 8 which was still excellent.

8 also had proper 3D models instead of cardboard cut-outs.

I think this is the intended look not because they want to look like the older Wizardry games, but because this is the cheapest possible look without being a text adventure.

The lack of animations doesn't bother me much. What kills it for me is the strong anime art style.

I have no interest in a party of heroes that looks like a bunch of teenagers coming back from a rave.

It's a bit hardcore and oldschool with no in-game info or map.

The combat is attack, attack, attack, defend, defend, defend. You cant move.

My samurai went Evil in the first fight for attacking some wererats but I was going to go Good and now I'm wondering if being evil will be an issue?

A Samurai can't start as evil but is it OK to be evil now?

I doubt I'll play it. I don't mind the anime characters protraits so much but their sounds are pretty annoying and holding down A for combat is pretty boring.

(TIP: reroll your starting bonus points. Best I've seen was 26.)

I tried this before buying it because I was skeptical, and indeed the game came uninstalled within the hour. I like the loot system but others have summed up pretty well the game's faults. Lack of character customisation and party formations, bland combat and design, the annoying anime voices every time you do whatever like bumping into a wall, it feels as if it's some tentacle rape hentai, and a myriad of things that outweight the somewhat fun dungeon crawling.

Not the most terrible game I ever played, but not worth my time.

And for the record, I got a 30 in one of my character rerolls. I read that you can get up to 40 in like, 1 in 1000 rerolls, but if you're going for that, I'd just use CheatEngine and save myself some precious hours of my life.

Last edited:
Have you guys ever played a game like this? Lol. Seriously. Combat gets much more intricate as u go. It's modeled after the original Wizardry trilogy 1-3 like the Elminage series is. I'm sure this game rocks I'm going to pick it up. Elminage Gothic and Elminage Original are two of the best dungeon crawlers we've ever been blessed with.

Reading the comments here and hearing from others just how much this game is similar to the first three Wizardry games only makes me even more eager to give it a try!! I'll have to resist for now, as Astoria has my gaming attention for the moment.

By the way, unlike what someone commented, there is dungeon map in this game. You just have to purchase it for like 50G at the store (You get thousands of gold easily)

I won't be going that route, my plan is to break out some graph paper and do my own maps, just like I did in the eighties. I tend to have much more fun trying to decipher my own scribbles on subsequent play-throughs,

This looks so cheap. Not even monster animations… Some RPG Maker games look better. Why didn´t they start a Kickstarter or something to collect some decent money for a "real" Wizardry successor.

That's because Japanese Wizardry games are direct decendants of Wizardry 1-5 games which were very popular in Japan due to console ports back in the day. David Bradley revolutionized Wizardry games with the 6. installment and the series made its peak with the 8th game IMHO. But Japanese devs stick to the old formula without changing anything. So this game is basically a graphically improved early age Wizardry game with anime characters. Right me if i am wrong but i think console versions of W1-5 also had anime style unlike to their western counterparts.

Anyway, I really would love to play a Wizardry 9 with improved graphics and same mechanics with the 8, but the license is in Japanese hands and this game is a nice example of what they understand of Wizardry. So I am not holding my breath.

That's because Japanese Wizardry games are direct decendants of Wizardry 1-5 games which were very popular in Japan due to console ports back in the day. David Bradley revolutionized Wizardry games with the 6. installment and the series made its peak with the 8th game IMHO. But Japanese devs stick to the old formula without changing anything. So this game is basically a graphically improved early age Wizardry game with anime characters. Right me if i am wrong but i think console versions of W1-5 also had anime style unlike to their western counterparts.

Yes, thanks. I understood that now. :) But anyway it has been redone so there should be ways to improve a bit, otherwise you could play the originals.
And whats with that status bar, hiding the monsters in battle? Strange design decision if any..

Anyway, I really would love to play a Wizardry 9 with improved graphics and same mechanics with the 8, but the license is in Japanese hands and it is what fhey understand of Wizardry. So not holding my breath.

Same here.. at least utilize some engines, modern japanese dungeon crawlers use. Like Demon Gaze or Etrian Odyssee.

When compared to the quality and care put into the Bards Tale 1-3 Series remake (Unity port) this looks like absolute crap. I removed it from my Steam wishlist within 2 hours of launch.

By the way, unlike what someone commented, there is dungeon map in this game. You just have to purchase it for like 50G at the store (You get thousands of gold easily)

I bought one of those maps, but cannot figure out how to use it. The Use option does nothing. <shrug>.

This was the intended look, it’s not a lack of funds thing. It’s modeled after the early wizardry games. Just be glad they didn’t do wireframe dungeons like the originals.

I’ll be picking this up for sure. I’m a big fan of wiz 1-3. Even more so than 8 which was still excellent.

Have you guys ever played a game like this? Lol. Seriously. Combat gets much more intricate as u go. It's modeled after the original Wizardry trilogy 1-3 like the Elminage series is. I'm sure this game rocks I'm going to pick it up. Elminage Gothic and Elminage Original are two of the best dungeon crawlers we've ever been blessed with.

I of course will be picking it up. This game kicked my butt via ps3 and I am pretty good with strategy in fights.

TBH, I liked the the old PS2 Wizardry (Tales of the Forsaken Land) better.
That game somehow got better the Japanese take on the Western retro ballbusting gameplay.

Back
Top Bottom