|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » Last game you finished, tell us about it

Default Last game you finished, tell us about it

August 7th, 2018, 15:09
I finished Sonic Mania. I have nothing to say except I'm getting too old for this shit.
--
How nice for you to meet me.

Winterfart

Passenger

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
+1:

August 8th, 2018, 22:29
Funny, sonic maniac is on the wishlist of my 6 year old nephew, as is minecraft. I'm especially surprised about the latter one, isn't that much too complex for that age?

Finished Ghost 1.0. A typical metroidvania clone which I have a thing for. Shortly after starting out I found out it is from the same dev as Unepic which I *loved*. I don't think it is as good but still a quite enjoyable (and addicting!) intermezzo. The story, art and somewhat geeky humor definitely is the same as in Unepic. I hope to see more of this developer as I like the style his (or their, that is unclear) games.

Been browsing origin access again to see what is next. It always surprises me how much there is actually on there. The complete Ultima and Wing commander series for instance. I contemplated for a moment to do Ultima. I never played one and number 7 is the best one it seems. However, it looks too outdated for me.

- The Sexy brutale resonates a lot with me. Reminds me of the old adventure and puzzle games.
- Did anyone played Sundered? It has a very interesting premise, but the (metacritic) scores and reviews are a bit lackluster. Hmm, it has procedurally generated levels

ilm

Keeper of the Watch
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)

August 10th, 2018, 20:22
The sexy brutale. Fantastic little game. At least, for the limited things it sets out to do, it does very well. It is a puzzle adventure game, but the puzzles are not that hard. And as it is not too long either, you play it mostly for exploration. Figuring out the patterns of all the servants and the murders, which can be quite morbid, is lots of fun. As a bonus the story and ending has some deeper meaning and is certainly satisfying.

It was a hassle to set up the controller right though. You can play with keyboard and mouse but I wouldn't recommend it.

ilm

Keeper of the Watch
Original Sin 2 Donor

August 11th, 2018, 17:14
Originally Posted by Darth Tagnan View Post
Witcher 3 - Wild Hunt

Positively superb storytelling and presentation - but underwhelming as a game, and especially as an open world CRPG.

Glad I experienced it, though.

7.5/10
So you did finish it, but what about the expansions?

My favorite was Blood and Wine, but Hearts of Stone wasn't bad.

So for me Witcher III gets a 9/10.

Doubt I will ever play a game as good as this until Cyberpunk 2077 gets released.
--
"That makes me angry, and when Dr. Evil Trump gets angry he trolls Twitter."

Check out my RPG News Thread usually updated daily.

Couchpotato

Dr. Evil Trump

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)

August 11th, 2018, 18:20
As good as 9/10? So… 10/10 doesn't exist and CP will also be 9/10?
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)

August 11th, 2018, 18:46
Originally Posted by joxer View Post
As good as 9/10? So… 10/10 doesn't exist and CP will also be 9/10?
Nope sorry I rarely score a game 10/10.

That includes the Original Sin games also given their beloved status.

Seriously can't remember the last game either and I play over 50+ games a year.
--

Couchpotato

Dr. Evil Trump

+1:

August 11th, 2018, 19:11
Originally Posted by Couchpotato View Post
So you did finish it, but what about the expansions?

My favorite was Blood and Wine, but Hearts of Stone wasn't bad.

So for me Witcher III gets a 9/10.

Doubt I will ever play a game as good as this until Cyberpunk 2077 gets released.
You didn't read very thoroughly

No expansions for now….

Darth Tagnan

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)

August 11th, 2018, 19:15
Originally Posted by Darth Tagnan View Post
You didn't read very thoroughly

No expansions for now….
Nope its a bad habit of mine.

I only quoted your first reply and moved on from the last page.
--

Couchpotato

Dr. Evil Trump

August 11th, 2018, 19:35
So back on topic I just finished Tides Of Numenera.

Final verdict : 6.5/10

Guess I expected to much from a game that's a spiritual successor to Planescape Torment. It just doesn't compare and one flaw is no remarkable companions.

Don't get me wrong it has companion quests, but the companions just feel like tag alongs. As they don't hold a candle to Annah, Fall-from-Grace, and Morte.

Guess "What can change the nature of a man." is more compelling then a god castoff trying to survive. Both games at least used amnesia as a major plot point at least.
--

Couchpotato

Dr. Evil Trump

August 11th, 2018, 21:09
It’s still in my backlog for this reason.

Thrasher

Wheeee!

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)

August 12th, 2018, 00:37
Finished >observer_ yesterday.

Observer bills itself as a "Cyberpunk horror" game. Steam lists it as an adventure game, and I tend to agree more with the latter.

The game is set in 2084 in Kraków, Poland, and you play as an Observer - a special type of cop who can hack into people's brain implants as part of your interrogation process.

The voice-overs for the PC were done by Rutger Hauer, and you also kind of look like him. Every line of dialogue for every character is voiced, and I though it was generally very well done.

It's a very plot-heavy game, and there isn't really much there in terms of gameplay. You move around in a typical first-person manner as you explore the apartment complex where most of the game takes place. You can scan the environment with various vision modes to help pick things out of the background. Think Detective mode like the Batman Arkham games but more complex. There are also some puzzles to solve but nothing that's going to bend your brain.

There is no direct combat in the game. You can be killed however, and there are segments where you have to use stealth to avoid an enemy.

I won't go into any details about the plot. I'll just say that the game basically revolves around moving from one crime scene to another while unraveling the overarching story. That's not to say that there isn't any exploration, but it's minimal.

The game uses the Unreal 4 engine, and I thought the visuals were excellent both from a technical standpoint and artistically. The biggest influence was obviously Blade Runner, and at times I felt like I was actually in that same world.

Unfortunately, I wasn't as impressed by the rest of the game. I've never been a big fan of psychological horror, and that's what Observer goes for. A lot of the scenes seemed to be weird just for the sake of being weird. There's too much time spent in dream-like states and not enough in the real world. While those segments produce some impressively trippy visuals, they just didn't really grab me, and I usually found myself rushing through them.

If you like Cyberpunk, and you're in the mood for a good story without caring about the gameplay, you'll probably really enjoy Observer. It didn't make me dream of electric sheep, but I can understand why it's been surprisingly popular.

6/10
Last edited by JDR13; August 12th, 2018 at 00:52. Reason: Added mention of lack of combat

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)

August 12th, 2018, 19:22
Dragon age 2. The game started to grow on me somewhere in act 2 thanks to the story and companions. I did notice some significant differences depending on who you bring during a quest which I liked. However, the game did seem to punish me for my decisions:
Spoiler

All in all, towards the end of the game I was relatively engrossed and wanted to see where things went leaving me with a satisfying feeling when it ended.

Caveat, I played on casual, didn't pay attention to leveling, equipment, etc. and just went through the battles mindlessly. I had a feeling the combat might have been interesting on normal difficulty (with all the spells and skills), but I don't think I could have stomached the endless waves of enemies and the bland, reused dungeons.

Maybe I should jump straight into DAI now. I noticed some recurring characters. They will not fool me twice so I will play as an elven mage to get the most out of it

ilm

Keeper of the Watch
Original Sin 2 Donor

August 12th, 2018, 19:40
Didn't want to quote the full message @ilm; nice review but I do believe you can take a path where you
Spoiler

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)

August 12th, 2018, 23:15
@ilm

IIRC, you haven't done anything wrong, regardless of what choice you make, the game throws you back similar ending:

Spoiler

I think I liked DA2 somewhat in my first play through but when I realised choices I make literally don't make much difference, I really resented playing the game.
--
Favourite RPGs: Baldur's Gate II, NWN: The Aielund Saga, Pathfinder: Kingmaker, Icewind Dale I, Stardew Valley

purpleblob

Princess

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)

August 13th, 2018, 00:10
To be honest, most games have the same amount of impact on your choices as DA2 I think and usually less. The witcher 2 is almost the only exception. Still, I'd say losing companions for the entire game is quite significant, perhaps the endings are not the different yes.

Spoiler

ilm

Keeper of the Watch
Original Sin 2 Donor

August 14th, 2018, 15:26
Originally Posted by ilm View Post
Dragon age 2. The game started to grow on me somewhere in act 2 thanks to the story and companions. I did notice some significant differences depending on who you bring during a quest which I liked. However, the game did seem to punish me for my decisions:
Spoiler

All in all, towards the end of the game I was relatively engrossed and wanted to see where things went leaving me with a satisfying feeling when it ended.

Caveat, I played on casual, didn't pay attention to leveling, equipment, etc. and just went through the battles mindlessly. I had a feeling the combat might have been interesting on normal difficulty (with all the spells and skills), but I don't think I could have stomached the endless waves of enemies and the bland, reused dungeons.

Maybe I should jump straight into DAI now. I noticed some recurring characters. They will not fool me twice so I will play as an elven mage to get the most out of it
If that comforts you, you didn't have the worst DA2 playthrough.

Spoiler
--
It's developer is owned by Sony which means it'll remain a hostage of inferior hardware. ~ joxer

azarhal

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
+1:

August 14th, 2018, 20:39
ESO - Finished may not be the right word as its a MMO but my time with it has come to end mainly due to the new WoW expansion.

I am ending the game after a good 250 hours as level 50 DK with 250CP.

I mostly played the new Summerset chapter from start to end with some bits from the base game and various other DLCs. Compared to release, the game looks very beautiful. The zones are designed very well and joy to explore. Lots of hidden items and stuff to find. Also you are not lead from quest hub to quest hub, you have to explore to find them. They are all fully voiced acted and the stories are all really well done for MMOs and in some cases good as some quest you will find in a single player rpg.

I liked the combat system, loot and progression system. You can have so many different builds and customise to your play style. People do post builds online but none of them seems like the "best" build and my build was always my own taken on what I am doing. So I was very surprised by the variety. Having said that, I have only done some Vet dungeons and they were not the hardest (as I am not high level enough for those, need 300+ CP) so thing may be different at that level.

I also enjoyed the PVP as well. They have different types of PvP games and even me who suck in PvP found way to make myself useful and I was contributing to the matches in meaningful way. This again is testament to their combat system.

The downside to the game is their character models and animation. Its very hard to make good looking characters! The animations are terrible ad this unfortunately take away from their good combat system. There is no weight to your action, you never feel the impact of any thing you do and part of the issue is bad or non existent sound effects. My pet peev is the running animation on all male characters, as they run like if they have stick stuck up their arse! I hope they work on these for their next expansion

Anyway ESO is highly recommended. I would rate is as 7/10! You should play it even if you don't like multiplayer as this is primarily a single player game with optional multiplayer elements. You don't really have to deal with any other person if you don't want to. You are not forced in anyway to interact with other people.

lostforever

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
+1:

August 15th, 2018, 08:47
….it's a pity you go back to WoW. I haven't seen you online once - you always seem to logout just when I login…

My Summerset character is still level 32… I'm taking the very slow approach (I mean… I have played over 2600 hours and have only 4 lvl 50 chars out of 10, CP NOT maxed at that?).

Last game I finished was Dishonored: Death of the Outsider. While I was not too fond of the 'no chaos' approach, it made for a pretty wild gaming experience. No remorse, no regrets…!
--
ESO-playing machine

Semper HiFi!
Motto of the 54th Groove Bde.

Jaz

Play nice.©
Administrator
RPGWatch Team

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

August 15th, 2018, 10:43
WoW is always just a phase - he'll be back soon enough

Darth Tagnan

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)

August 15th, 2018, 12:33
Originally Posted by Jaz View Post
….it's a pity you go back to WoW. I haven't seen you online once - you always seem to logout just when I login…

My Summerset character is still level 32… I'm taking the very slow approach (I mean… I have played over 2600 hours and have only 4 lvl 50 chars out of 10, CP NOT maxed at that?).

Last game I finished was Dishonored: Death of the Outsider. While I was not too fond of the 'no chaos' approach, it made for a pretty wild gaming experience. No remorse, no regrets…!
I play late these days, normally from 9pm - 10pm UK time so I guess it bed time for you Europeans

Like Darth says, I will be back in about two or three months once my wife gets bored of WoW I really didn't want to play the new expansion but its the only game she will play and it can be fun to play together most of the time! She loves to play the auction house in WoW and I get to spend all the gold she makes, its so much fun

lostforever

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
+1:

Tags
games, mini review
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » Last game you finished, tell us about it