GameSpot - Encumbrance

Aubrielle

Noveliste
"Are weight limits a good system?", you ask. Well, I haven't played FO4 yet, so I don't know how it is implemented in this game. But most of times I find weight limits an annoyance, especially when the game (any game) has a plethora of weighted items that you could (or should) carry from one place to the other (junk parts, ingredients, ammo, coins, bottle caps, quest items, potions, food, whatever). Putting in american words: THAT SUCKS!

Back in the TES IV Oblivion days, I shamelessly used "Bag of Holding" mod (by Quarn) alongside Lightweight Potions mod (and a keychain mod to better sort our inventory) in order to circumvent weight limits. Yeah, yeah, I know these mods break immersion and all, but I used them anyways.

[change instance=set_to_receive_charge] Now I'm ready to receive your comments :D

Last edited:
Now I'm ready to receive your comments :D
Well you'll get no negative comment from me as I hate most weight and inventory systems. I usually edit carry weight, or use the time honored TGM cheat code.:biggrin:

Last edited:
I never cared. If it's there I adapt. If it's not there, okay.

I never cared. If it's there I adapt. If it's not there, okay.

Joxer, you'll agree with me: adapting to an annoyance is an annoyance in itself!

Hmmm, this is a tough one...

I like that I can't carry the world on my character because it makes sense.

I don't like that it artificially makes you go back and forth to the shop.

The problem with unlimited inventory is bag bloat, which I mean like you get too many items in the bag(this is also a problem for high inventory weight allowance) and you have no idea what you actually have.

Skyrim, divine divinity original sin are two that I had waaaaaay to many items.

Depends

In games that are about realism its okay

In some game's its a convenience to not have it

I didn't mind the "cloud" style stash in PoE

Skyrim, divine divinity original sin are two that I had waaaaaay to many items.

Omg

This is one thing stopping me from returning to my D:OS:EE playthrough right now. I have SO MUCH STUFF and I'm running out of places to put it. :-/

Omg

This is one thing stopping me from returning to my D:OS:EE playthrough right now. I have SO MUCH STUFF and I'm running out of places to put it. :-/

Yeah, totally agree. I love that game, but man the inventory system was just so bad.

Yeah, totally agree. I love that game, but man the inventory system was just so bad.
I think D:OS's inventory system was fantastic if you learned how to use it - one of the most elegant ever made. It was nice that you could have open the inventory of multiple characters simultaneously and drag each window whereever you wanted - very, very few games allow anything like that. Also, one character could make use of items straight out of another character's inventory which is another rarity. For example, to repair a weapon, click on the hammer in one character's inventory (or quickbar) then click on the item in a completely different character's inventory, and the first character will run over to the second character and perform the action.

There were certainly a lot of items to manage in D:OS though, so it could become a chore at times. But let's not confuse the necessity for lots of inventory management with a bad inventory system.

As for Fallout 4, not only did it require even more inventory management than D:OS (which is saying a lot), but it also has one of the worst inventory systems ever. A tragic victim of "Balls Deep In Consoles" philosophy here, I fear. At times it felt like half my playtime was being spent dealing with inventory management. Ugh.

Omg

Maybe I'm just ocd or something but I literally had to stop playing the game because I was spending all my time sorting through the plethora of items I picked up.

I like the system in Divinity 2 where you can send items back to the stronghold on the fly. Alas, the immersion is lost. But then perhaps having zero-weight ammunition is also counter-immersive, yet lots of games have that too.

It depends upon the game. I wasn't bothered much by D:OS. I just generally deal with whatever system is in the vanilla game without much complaint. That said, FO4 was brutal, as you needed to collect soooo much stuff, if you wanted to play around with settlement building. After returning to the same location four times simply to loot all the crap on the ground, I had had enough. FO4, I think, is the first ever game in which I edited my weight-carrying capacity.

I would not only have encumbrance in all games but also limited inventory space like in JA2 games.

Joxer, you'll agree with me: adapting to an annoyance is an annoyance in itself!

That statement is absolutely true.
However, encumbrance design to me is not an annoyance at all, grinding is. ;)

It's silly to set out to create a believable world and then have people lugging around 40 suits of armor.

And this isn't about realism, but about internal consistency. So RPG's can't escape it.

It's silly to set out to create a believable world and then have people lugging around 40 suits of armor.

And this isn't about realism, but about internal consistency. So RPG's can't escape it.

I think gaming devs threw consistency out of the windows a long time ago. It's all about the gameplay, even if it doesn't fit with what the characters are saying, what is happening or the world building.

That's easy, you only need to manage your weight distribution

China%2527s+overloaded+delivery+vehicles+3.jpg

For rpg's they need to create a better crafting system and useable on the fly.
Bound by Flame had a pretty simple and easy to use crafting system that took care of this problem.
Removing it entirely, felt out of place in some games, like in Risen.

Back
Top Bottom