The ever-popular "Currently Listening" thread

Rammstein is pretty much discussed about here … Not so much than whejn they hit the spotlight first, but still ... Especially the "Hitler-accent" greatly irritated many people, or the "collector's edition" of their last album …

I've known for years that I should try to listen to the Norwegoian band Motorpsycho. Never got around to it, until two weeks ago, which resulted in the immediate purchase of 12 albums (from eMusic, so it didn't cost me that much).

Here's Psychonaut from their 1998 album "Trust us".

pibbur, who also recommends Starhammer by Motorpsycho ver. 2010

I've bought the new album by Kate Bush, but didn't listen to it yet ...

@Alrik Why do you tell us, then? ;)

I have listened to one track, and it sounded very interesting. Her voice was strangely tweaked very low. I'm putting it on "to buy" list. :)

I did buy almost all of the recent Ultravox remasters, each comes with an CD of bonus tracks (live, demo, 12", B-sdies, and other goodies). Very nice stuff!

The new album by Kate Bush is very ... meditative. And experimental. In my ears, it seems to consist to 3/4 of piano (the instrument) and piano (the "loudness" in terms of musics).

"50 words for snow" is not something that is called "easy listening".

The texts, however, were something I liked very much.

I bought the 'Super Deluxe Edition' or whatever they are calling it of The Who's Quadrophenia ... mixed bag as it *definitely* sounds better than the 1st edition CD, is worlds better than the Entwistle rework for the movie, but I still think my original vinyl sounds best.

Also really enjoying a CD from a jazz sax player from NYC called 'Ochion Jewell' - if you are into modern jazz (not abstract, but not mainstream or 'smooth jazz' either) it is really worth a listen. Not a mainstream release, so not on Amazon or iTunes ...

Type of Negative - October Rust

I gave Type O Negative a try before, and just didnt really like them. Some of their stuff was okay, but I never gave them more than a few spins. The reason that I NEVER sell any of my old cds, is because as my life changes as life tends to do, sometimes I'll break out an old CD of mine that I never liked and suddenly discover gold.

October Rust is that bit of gold, sitting in my music collection for years gathering dust. Didnt even like it when I first heard it, now I listen to it at least twice a day. It's not all good, there's high points (be my druidess) and low points (burnt flowers fallen) on the cd and definitely some filler, but songs like I Love You to Death and My Girlfriends Girlfriend, Wolf Moon are solid gothic rock/metal tunes. Even some great doom metal w/ Red Water and Haunted. I really like how, on a lot of their stuff you think you have the song figured out, then about halfway thru it changes just enough to give you some new depth to chew on the next time you hear it. They really tune the guitars down low and doomy too, genrally good keyboard accompanying, and the solos are in great contrast - generally high and tragic. Good stuff. Peter breathes a little too much in some of the stuff, and he definitely tries to project the sex symbol thing quite a bit, but that's kinda their schtick - sex and death.

Really good CD, I'm glad that I dug it out and gave it another try.

Last edited:
I saw Brian Setzer with Rockabilly Riot perform in Detroit last night.

I wasn't sure if I was going to like it, but my cousin had an extra ticket and needed another person to go. In short, it was fucking great.

Fishnet Stockings Footage from a live show on the same tour. Check out the sick stand-up bass playing that starts at 1:50

Rock This Town

Inspired by Jaz's signature (""The one element that exists in all your worst experiences with other people is you." - JemyM") which she according to rumours stole JemyM, here's Blue Oyster Cult

pibbur who sometimes fears Bill Door

Lost track of this kid when MySpace went to crap. Looks like he's still working at it. Love the way the chorus soars.

"Shy Eyes" by Liam Ledgerwood

How about a bonus while we're at it...
"Tabula Rasa"

Well hell, it's been a while since I've done my job around here, so how about a handful:
"Let Down" by elika (a good rethinking of their track, "Fire")

"Leech" by Alison's Halo

"Sleeper" by Hope Chest

"From the Inside" by Chandeen (a little ethereal goth to play with)

"Locust" by Daniel Land and the Modern Painters

"Love is Blinding" by High Violets (put this one up before, but it's been a long time)

Back
Top Bottom