Alaloth - Teaser Trailer

That video hardly revealed anything about the game... All I got was, story is cliched, the last dude in the video looked like Diablo, graphics is pretty... that's about it.

I don't know how well the "soul combat" will work with isometric... but we will see.

Colour me mildly intrigued at this point.

I don't mind unity - i think unity games run better than unreal games.
-
I have no clue what people mean by 'souls like' anymore. I think it is just a term they throw out there to say you will die a lot; so they could just call it die-a-lot mechanics; except some of these games you never die because they are too easy; so maybe they mean you-are -suppose-to-die-alot-mechanics-in-which-you-might-not-die ?

Souls-like also means realistic real time combat where you have to dodge, parry, block and strike at the right time to defeat the opponent rather than smash the button style of classic action games. In this aspect in my opinion we can call the combat of Blade of Darkness and Risen 1 as souls-like.

I see two problems with this:

1) First Souls-like isometric arpg was Diablo II (ignoring the rolling stuff)

2) Unity

Diablo 2 hardly has "Souls-like" combat. Partly because it predates DS which would make that term rather weird, but especially because Diablo 2 is a typical ARPG clicker, not a game where you time your moves.

Diablo 2 hardly has "Souls-like" combat. Partly because it predates DS which would make that term rather weird, but especially because Diablo 2 is a typical ARPG clicker, not a game where you time your moves.

I think that was the point, though Diablo 1 would be a better fit.

Also, if you've ever played high-level or competitive Diablo - timing is absolutely essential.

However, I don't think I would call it "Souls-like" - because they're so different in terms of moment-to-moment feel and flow.

But in terms of over-arching design - Diablo and Dark Souls are surprisingly similar in many ways.

I think that was the point, though Diablo 1 would be a better fit.

Also, if you've ever played high-level or competitive Diablo - timing is absolutely essential.

However, I don't think I would call it "Souls-like" - because they're so different in terms of moment-to-moment feel and flow.

But in terms of over-arching design - Diablo and Dark Souls are surprisingly similar in many ways.

I can agree to that. I've played them all but apart from maybe the first Diablo none made a lasting impression. Games that are mainly about loot and action combat simply isn't my cup of tea, and definitely not my coffee.

Back
Top Bottom