Pillars of Eternity II - The Year in Review

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
Pillars of Eternity II has a new update which looks back at the year that has been.

Happy holidays, Watchers! It's been a fantastic year making Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire, and we couldn't have done it without you and your support! With all that's happened, we asked Producer Katrina Garsten to help us look back on all the major (and some not-so-major) milestones we've hit with the game since we launched our crowdfunding campaign at the beginning of the year. And, like any good developer, we put a nice little bonus at the end of the video for all our fans. Enjoy!

We can't thank you enough for your support this past year. As we go into the new year, get ready for even more updates to the Backer Beta, and prepare for a lot of awesome Deadfire news to come your way! In the meantime, if you're taking part in the closed Backer Beta for Pillars II, be sure to check out the latest update and send us your feedback. We've already made countless improvements to various aspects of Deadfire based on feedback we've already received – thank you so much to our dedicated backers!

Limited Quantities of Physical Orders Are Back For a Short Time!

It's kinda cliché to say "back by popular demand," but Physical Backer Tiers are... back by popular demand! We are re-opening a limited number of our physical rewards for a short window for those of you who missed out on them and still want to order. From now until January 5th, 2018, if you want to upgrade your Deadfire order to a physical order, or add more physical rewards to an existing order, you may do so. But seriously, after January 5th, those physical orders will be gone for good, no matter how much demand there is – so be sure to upgrade now!

Join Us At PAX South!

As Katrina mentioned in the video, some of us will be are also going to be at PAX South in San Antonio, Texas with our publishers Versus Evil, at their booth (#10476). If you're going to be in the San Antonio area, be sure to join us the weekend of January 12-14th, 2018 where you'll be able to get some hands on time with Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire!

Until next time, citizens of Eora, happy holidays to you and yours!

If you missed Update 42, check it out here!
More information.

Recovery does still seem a bit too long though.

It's slower than POE1 even after the beta patch reduction, they are trying to slow down combat with it. It should be noted that there is no more slow down mode for combat (right now), so normal is supposed to be "slow". You can still play in fast mode though.

I need to play with the AI stuff.

I don't know which one I'm most excited about, PoE2, Battletech or BT4. Someone said next year is looking weak (and a lot of people also say this year was weak???). I strongly disagree. Could be that I don't have time to play as many games as many others tough, 4-5 titles a year is probably what I can handle.

Last edited:
I don't know which one I'm most excited about, PoE2, Battletech or BT4. Someone said next year is looking weak (and s lot of people also say this year was weak???). I strongly disagree. Could be that I don't have time to play as many games as many others tough, 4-5 titles a year is probably what I can handle.

They say the same thing every year.

It's slower than POE1 even after the beta patch reduction, they are trying to slow down combat with it. It should be noted that there is no more slow down mode for combat (right now), so normal is supposed to be "slow". You can still play in fast mode though.

I need to play with the AI stuff.

Oh, you are playing the beta? How doe it look so far?

Is the slower combat actually better or worse?

Thanks

I really like some of those interface screens they showed. Pretty eye-pleasing. And good to hear they are working on the combat, that is absolutely key to a good rpg experience. And if the testers say the combat is still too fast, listen to them, Obsidian!

Better the combat is too slow, than too fast.

Oh, you are playing the beta? How doe it look so far?

Is the slower combat actually better or worse?

Thanks

Yes, I got the beta. I haven't played much of the latest patch, I just checked the AI Behavior UI so far (it's pretty much Dragon Age Origin system with an "exclude" and action delay support and friendlier UI, although it's missing default attacks and potions usages actions right now).

Having played POE1 beta, Deadfire feels more polished at the same stage, but the latest patch made a lots of changes to combat related things so I need to spend more hours in it to see how it feels again.

People complained about recovery time in the first beta drop, so they reduced them (they were basically doubled from POE1 in the first beta build). Combat mostly felt slowed because of the lack of graze though which they reintroduced because people complained about missing 50% of the time…so I expect "it's too fast" complains to show back up again with this new patch because I think people use "it's too fast" to actually mean "I'm dying too fast", not that action are too fast and Obsidian doesn't get the nuance.

@azarhal;, have they made any improvements to the information you get on the character sheets? In PoE you had to count actual frames to see how fast weapons were and what abilities were cumulative, leading to a whole lot of trial, error and reading on forums in order to understand different builds.

Are things like attack speed or DPS (although I don't actually like the term DPS for games where different defenses are such a huge factor, attacks per second makes more sense in PoE and would be enough to do the maths easier) easier to grasp now? It's fine that the weapon info says "slow" or "very fast", but I want numbers damn it.

I like my number crunching, it's part of the fun. Frame counting…not so much (as if I even know how).

@TomRon;

Tooltips are way more detailed, weapon/spell tooltips have attack speed and recovery time as actual numbers. You can even see the effect of attribute/armor/enchantment in them.

Although, some stuff is only added while in combat (aka conditional bonus) so you can only seem them via the combat log highlight tooltips.

@TomRon;

Tooltips are way more detailed, weapon/spell tooltips have attack speed and recovery time as actual numbers. You can even see the effect of attribute/armor/enchantment in them.

Although, some stuff is only added while in combat (aka conditional bonus) so you can only seem them via the combat log highlight tooltips.

Sounds like a great improvement, thanks for the info!

The funny thing is their changes are steadily making it more D&D-like. They've added in more skills and changed Might back to Strength. At least they still did away with Charisma and Wisdom, two pretty nebulous characteristics. The one change I am concerned about though is the limitations on Priest spells. A diversity of spells was a strength of the D&D Cleric class and the PoE Priest.

Ok I love the AI behaviors, that alone would have made Pillars I so much of a better experience for me. I loved the tactics menu in Dragon Age 1 and 2, and was very unhappy when they got rid of it in inquisitor.

The one change I am concerned about though is the limitations on Priest spells.

They removed the spell limitations in the latest patch and you are supposed to be able to pick more spells now (I haven't tried it yet). There is also a few new priest spells in the first beta patch, well new old spells, they were in POE1, just not in the first build released.

Back
Top Bottom