EA - Joins with NetDragon to Develop New Ultima Online

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
Warcry has some news about EA and the China based company NetDragon joining forces to develop the new Ultima Online.
HONG KONG, July 22 /PRNewswire-Asia-FirstCall/ -- Electronic Arts Inc. and NetDragon Websoft Inc., a leading game developer and operator in China, today announced a licensing agreement for the development of a new massively multi-player online role playing game (MMORPG) based on "Ultima Online" from Electronic Arts. As part of the agreement, NetDragon will develop the new Ultima Online in collaboration with EA's Mythic Entertainment, and have the exclusive operating license for China, Hong Kong, Macau and India.

"We are delighted to further our relationship with EA through the development of Ultima Online(TM)," said Mr. Liu Dejian, Chairman and Executive Director of NetDragon. "Capitalizing on our ability to create a strong online gaming experience, we are confident that Ultima Online(TM) will be a success in China and will also achieve remarkable results in the other markets where we'll operate the game."
Jon Niermann, President of EA Asia said, "Ultima Online(TM) is a well known EA property and we're delighted to bring the game to fans in China, Hong Kong, Macau and India. NetDragon is a proven partner and we're confident in their expertise to build and operate a great gaming experience for players".
Rob Denton, General Manager and Vice President of Mythic Entertainment added, "We're thrilled to be able to work with NetDragon to bring the pioneering Ultima Online to a new audience in these exciting markets."
More information.

Wish they would do a new one in north america...not this company though....(actually never heard of them). Would also love a new single player one.

I'm quite interested to see how this works out considering Bioware has now taken the helm at Mythic.

I think there's some confusion about exactly what happened with our two companies. BioWare has not "taken the helm." Mythic and BioWare are still independent studios.

What's happened is that both were administratively transferred to a new RPG-oriented "sub-group" within EA, which Greg Zeschuk of BioWare was promoted to administrate. It's no different than -- for example -- Visceral Games (AKA EA Redwood), DICE, and Pandemic all being administrated under the core games group, which is administrated by Frank Gibeau.

Just because Greg was promoted from a long-standing position within BioWare doesn't mean Mythic has become a BioWare fiefdom.

I assume we'll see many, many more asia-exclusive games in the future, especially for China, the more, the more impoortant they become, in a comercially kind of sense.
I think it'll be at one point like the exclusive CDs for the japanese market.

Back
Top Bottom