I Hate Fishing @ Gamer's Creed

Asbjoern

N'wah
Garrett has let us know, that he has written a commentary about fishing in MMOs for his website Gamer's Creed:
Years later, I decided to give World of Warcaft a try. Of course, they *had* to have fishing, too, apparently since it's such a laugh riot to do it. This time, though, I had a plan. I figured that I would just ignore it and concentrate on the rest of the game's content. Wrong. I made the fatal mistake of choosing Alchemy as one of my professions, and sure enough, I raised my skill to the point where I learned a recipe that required a FISH to make the potion. The dreaded Oily Blackmouth fish. Unfortunately, since I'd ignored fishing up to that point, I had to first level up my Fishing SkillzTM before I could even attempt to catch the damn fish. This, of course, took forever, so by the time I could attempt to catch the fish, my character level had advanced to the point where the potion I wanted to create was practically useless (deep cleansing breath).
More information.

Isn't he kinda missing the point of MMO's? He could've tried the AH or trade channels. It's a social game, why is he trying to do everything by himself? I've come across numerous times where I needed something that I couldn't make or produce myself. I got it from other players. And I was happy with the accomplishment!

I want to read this one but the link keeps coming up dead for me, argh.

I really liked fishing in WoW, but then again I got into it a little more than most, and I had friends that were into it too. We actually formed a fishing league, and held tourneys where we'd all put money in a pot then race to catch a certain type of fish, or a number or them, winner take all. It's cool hunting for new spots, it was exciting going on special missions into dangerous areas just to test the fishing. Everyone else would be cautiously scouting the mobs in some instance, here i am fishing away lol.

It can be mind-numbingly boring at times, but just like anything, you get out of it what you put into it. As the previous poster stated, pay some fishin fool like myself to catch you a dozen big mouth bottom-dwellers if you dont want to do it.

I personally ignored fishing and cooking for a long time in WoW. And I am alchemist too.
Just didn't thought it was much fun either and didn't see much use of it.

But at some point, at lvl 70, I just felt a bit bored, and I decided to lvl fishing and cooking at the same time. I actually enjoyed it. Might be because there wasen't much else to do at that point.

I do think fishing has its right in MMOs. Its just another option and you can do well without ever lvling it up. It just adds another layer to the game. New materials for crafting or ideas for quests.
There is even a 25 man raid boss in WoW called The Lurker Below which requires you to fish it up first.

Heh... This is Garret from Gamer's Creed. When I wrote this piece, it was partly tongue-in-cheek. I was trying to have a little fun with a topic that I think tends to spark opposing, passionate responses. :)

To be honest, though, I do find it kind of boring. I'd much rather be fighting. Also, I do have a limited amount of time to play, so I can't justify a large block of my time being dedicated to fishing.

Having said that, I certainly don't find fault with anyone who enjoys it. But for me, it's kind of like playing golf in an MMO. ;)

and what would be wrong w/ World of War-Golf?

Sounds like a cool update to me!

I can understand someone being nonplussed at the idea of a bunch of people sitting around virtual fishing, while a fantasy world of magic and battle is happening all around them. It's kinda like going to Disneyland, and instead of riding all the major attractions, speeding around the park on a maintenance cart instead. But what if youve been on all the rides a zillion times?

I dont think that I can say that after the endless grinding and monotony of a thousand runs thru all the same instances, quests, and mobs, that I wouldnt put on my Elven Putting Shoes of Stability (+10 Accuracy) and hit the greens to tee off against the greenskins. It just might be a good time after all! ='.'=

and what would be wrong w/ World of War-Golf?

Sounds like a cool update to me!

I can understand someone being nonplussed at the idea of a bunch of people sitting around virtual fishing, while a fantasy world of magic and battle is happening all around them. It's kinda like going to Disneyland, and instead of riding all the major attractions, speeding around the park on a maintenance cart instead. But what if youve been on all the rides a zillion times?

I dont think that I can say that after the endless grinding and monotony of a thousand runs thru all the same instances, quests, and mobs, that I wouldnt put on my Elven Putting Shoes of Stability (+10 Accuracy) and hit the greens to tee off against the greenskins. It just might be a good time after all! ='.'=

Hmmm... it's definitely more reasonable to do it if someone had already done everything in WoW a zillion times. But in my case, this was my first toon, so I hadn't. Since I didn't have the money to buy the fish off of the AH, I was more or less forced to fish.

Having said that, if I get to the point where I've done everything in my current MMO (LotRO), I'll probably just go play a new game. :)

By the way, I have a tee time today at 4:00. Can I borrow your Elven Putting Shoes of Stability? I could use the help. ;)

Last edited:
...But for me, it's kind of like playing golf in an MMO. ;)

I and a friend of mine were actually working on gold for Neverwinter Nights. Him being good with math I was having him work on the trajectories while I tried to make a way to make it playable.

This is why we need more do it yourself MP Toolsets. You can actually do this sort of crazy stuff if you set your mind to it.

Since I didn't have the money to buy the fish off of the AH, I was more or less forced to fish.

Not al all, which was exactly my point. You could've used the resources of your guild, asking for help there. You could've tried finding people around that were willing to help you, for either gold or some other trade that makes it worth their time. You could've played the AH and made enough money to buy the stupid fish.

Maybe the this list of options is not endless, but I wouldn't call it forced to fish. In fact, I'd classify finding someone who can fish it for you out of random people running around in Ironforge as "fun." I'd probably role-play it to death, staying in character till the end. A dwarf that can't fish. Comedy gold!

The fishing mod for Morrowind was cool. Although I was mainly impressed by the milestone in scripting it represented than by the actual fishing :)

Back
Top Bottom