Vista and Older Games:- Problems and How to Solve Them

Morrowind? Icewind Dale 2 ? (someone please try the first one too!) Divine Divinity? Vista is beginning to sound a bit better.

NWN seems to be running nicely.

Could you also please specify which edition of Vista you are working with here?
Home Premium 32bit? etc...

32bit basic OEM. I just made myself a fairly decent machine as cheaply as I could.

I already mentioned that Morrowind ran fine on my rig, did I? Anyway, it's the Vista 32bit business edition, and I had no problems when running Morrowind and Thief: Deadly Shadows (both without any compatibility box checked) whatsoever. Morrowind CTDd out once in a while... just like it did under XP home back then. It's also choppy at times when maxed out, but I do credit this phenomenon to my video card because choppiness was just the same under XP.

It's a very good thing that morrowind works. I loved Thief3 too.
Woges, Neverwinter Nights 1 is running and working fine on the 32 bit vista?
Try it with some expansions/mods/stuff?

Now we need someone to try out the Baldurs Gate games, Planescape torment,
and some of the Might & Magic 6-8. The Modern M&M's work without any problems whatsoever on my win2k rig and my XP-home laptop. Hopefully they work on vista too. Also, more comment about Fallout1/2 too please :D

It would be so great if the Age of Wonders and Space Rangers games would work too without any hassle.

And please always specify your vista version - especially if its the 32 or the 64bit one. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
There is a potentially interesting new patch for Vista from Microsoft:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/940105

It's addressing "Virtual address space usage in Windows game development" so it's gaming related and from the sounds of it, it might be what might really help get rid of those pesky Gothic 3 "out of memory" issues under Vista (and maybe some other games, too).

I've been playing through Fallout 2 for the past week or so on Vista, and have seen the rainbow graphics problem. What I did to fix it was always start the program with the autorun.exe from the CD. I haven't had the problem return since then.

Now, anyone know if Xcom will run? ( any version of Xcom... )

I can't see why not, but I haven't yet tried it!!

I just ordered DS to play the Ultima 5 remake. I'll install afew other things when I get time. I can't get Thief DS to work for the life of me off of steam.

Dungeon Siege is a no go on Vista.

Ahem, though a simple run in XP mode seems to sort it.

Last edited:
Thief Deadly Shadows runs in XP mode aswell. For some reason I was having trouble before.

Seems that XP mode is the way to go then, so why change from XP to Vista in the first place!! :)

Well I have an XP machine aswell and it doesn't have the richness of DX10 on Bioshock.

Back
Top Bottom