Starflight: The Remaking of a Legend - Dev Diary 17

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
Dev Diary 17 for the Starflight: The Remaking of a Legend project shows a new video tour of the docking bay and starmap. Also there is a new forum.

Greetings! Time for another dev diary! This time Marvin gives us a cool new tour video of the game and shows off his new starmap and docking sequence in his Starflight: The Remaking of a Legend project. We've now got a forum too! Next article will cover LANDING ON PLANETS!!!!! :)

Posted by Blake00 on Jan 6th, 2020
Greetings! Time for another dev diary! This time Marvin gives us a cool new tour video of the game and shows off his new starmap and docking sequence in his Starflight: The Remaking of a Legend project. We've now got a forum too! Next article will cover LANDING ON PLANETS!!!!! :)

State of the Remake

(Originally posted by Marvin 29/12/2018 HERE)

It's time for another "State of the Remake" video! This one is about 30 minutes long. In this one, I visit all of the races that you can encounter in the game. The comm system isn't 100% done yet, but it is mostly working. The orange/green "pill" thingy that you will see is just a temporary placeholder for ship models that I have not built yet.

Next up - while the rest of the team are doing research for me to help me get the comm system 100% complete, I will be working on all of the ship models.

• Note: apparently there is no sound in the YouTube video... which means the video was recorded without sound. I do not know how that happened. :-\

[...]
Thanks Farflame!

More information.

Didn't know about this. Will absolutely check it out once it's finished!

So, they couldn't match the graphics of a single dude from Hello Games?

So, they couldn't match the graphics of a single dude from Hello Games?

Who is this "They" you refer to? This is being made by a single "dude" (apart from a few tiny code pushes https://github.com/mherbold/starflight/graphs/contributors). I suggest you read the guys blog… He wants to keep it in the spirit of the original as much as possible while modernising. As a big fan of the original I think he has struck the right balance.

I loved the original too...30 years ago. My tastes have changed though and I now expect more than what was acceptable back then. To me, NMS, is the spiritual successor to Starflight. I don't mind if "you" like this piece of a game. Different strokes and all.

I see there is a lizard alien race. I hope I'll be able to beat the SHT out them!

If you want a true spiritual successor you should check out Star Control: Origins.

Does Star Control Origins play like the Starflights? My understanding is its a complete different (evolved version) of them.

Does Star Control Origins play like the Starflights? My understanding is its a complete different (evolved version) of them.

Yeah, pretty much. Star Control and Starflight are very similar! Fly around space, land on planets to harvest minerals, meet intelligent alien species.

It doesn't take itself too seriously and there's a lot of humor. For example, one of the first artifacts you'll probably find is Tesla Roadster he launched into space that crashed into the moon or something. :)

You can auto-play the combat and auto-land on the planets. It's very accessible if you just want to relax and explore every planet.

Yeah, pretty much. Star Control and Starflight are very similar! Fly around space, land on planets to harvest minerals, meet intelligent alien species.

It doesn't take itself too seriously and there's a lot of humor. For example, one of the first artifacts you'll probably find is Tesla Roadster he launched into space that crashed into the moon or something. :)

You can auto-play the combat and auto-land on the planets. It's very accessible if you just want to relax and explore every planet.

They do very similar things yes, but I would say the story is quite different and the combat. How you manage your crew and ship is also quite different.

They do very similar things yes, but I would say the story is quite different and the combat. How you manage your crew and ship is also quite different.

I don't actually remember any of the story from Starflight.

All I remember is I did find a Black Egg but the sun blew up and ended my game and I never went back. Mostly because I CBF dealing with the codewheel every time I docked!

(I played Amiga version and I was very young.)

There was story between star trading I remember distinctly. Missions to get the Alien zealots at peace, and "farthead" we called him, who wanted to be "good, pal buddies".

Yeah, I just don't remember. :)

I only remember little things like going through a wormhole and being annihilated by strange ships with chunky photon torpedos or whatever they were.

Back
Top Bottom