What games are you playing now?

Okay, now this is ridiculous.
Started playing Elex (XSX, originally on PC) for about the 20th time, hoping it would click eventually.
And it happened again: the game REALLY hooked me for the first 5 hours or so, then I rage quitted for various reasons. Happened just like the last 19 times. . .

Nevertheless, I'm determined to love this game, because the potential is there.
I just have to rewire my brain for embracing Elex, but frankly, dunno how.

I loved the first area where it played like a fantasy rpg. Once that was mostly complete, I just lost interest. I believe it is a great game though. I may start that again myself, @deurer!

Started playing Elex (XSX, originally on PC) for about the 20th time, hoping it would click eventually.

And it happened again: the game REALLY hooked me for the first 5 hours or so, then I rage quitted for various reasons. Happened just like the last 19 times. . .

Why ragequit?

Why causes it?

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Ok, I got out of the dark tunnels which again had black head crabs aplenty. It took a bit of work but I managed to find my way out. Seems the gameplay sign I have to look for is for my flashlight to go out. That signals that I'm not gonna need it anymore. So far so good.

But after only a brief stint in the sunlight, I again had to enter another infested building and you can imagine my demoralization when after going down a few steps, and seeing the organic alien infestation matter across the walls, my flashlight turned on again. And it feels like I'm right where I was before. In the thick of it.

Yeah, now with the excitement of new things somewhat gone, I think I'm starting to see the gameplay loop. It's basically explore the top-side in light, then explore the undeground in the dark. It's still fun, but a bit of the luster is gone. One thing that is fore sure imo, and this is probably why VR gaming will not take the place of regular gaming, is that the intensity is quite high and you just can't endure that for a long while as a player. And the gameplay itself is often richety. The gunplay is great, but the movement is just not up to the standards of non-VR gaming. At least not for now.

Also, the game seems to rely very heavily on the whole VR experience. And not so much on the story and world-building. I feel I spend most of the time through what feels like random tunnels, fighting the aliens. There are story elements now and then, but it's obvious where they thought its strenth was. And for this stage it's probably ok. But going forward they will have to do more, I think. And considering that part usually takes a lot of the time and money, and VR will likely not become mainstream anytime soon, I'm not sure how that wil fare.

Just break up already. You're doing a real life "it's not you, it's me" thing with a game.

That can be easier said than done sometimes.

Elex is like that one chick that you know is crazy, but you can't break away completely because that ***** is just so damn good. ;)

And it happened again: the game REALLY hooked me for the first 5 hours or so, then I rage quitted for various reasons.

Why ragequit?

Why causes it?

I'm not sure, hence my frustration.
I guess I like the prologue's "alone in a dangerous world"-vibe, the lore's "life after the catastrophe-but totally NOT Mad Max" setting, the very German thinking of "torn between personal free will and community order" philosophy, the initial monsters who are hard but fair, the wonderful exploration, the seemingly insane but logical character building. . .
. . . and then it falls apart for some reason. Is it the underwhelming NPCs and initial quests? Or the totally broken (IMHO) difficulty curve? Or the "everything but the kitchen sink" character building approach? Or the various technical glitches?

None of these issues would make me angry (hey, I'm playin' games for 30+ years, so I know EXACTLY when a game stinks), but I have a constant feeling that the game is not meant for gamers (a proof of concept perhaps?) -- or it was meant for a VERY SPECIFIC TYPE of gamers. . . and this is the riddle I want to solve.

(For the record: I'm quite all right with the Gothics and the first Risen)

Rage quit Elex? No sir, get back in there, chop off manhoods feed them to the goats, and listen to the lamentations of all their women! A stellar body count will sooth your soul in no time!

Ashen

i would say it is a successful copy paste of dark souls but it doesnt have backstab and you are forced to play with a companion which fucks up the atmosphere alot of the time; helps alot in combat but also reveals hidden mobs/ambushes since its a moron and often goes on rampage alone lol
anyway, the game has one of the best dungeons i have seen, on par with new londo ruins/blightown from the first dark souls, it keeps on going and going and going, and made me say fucking finalyyyyyyyyyyy when i saw the rest stone(bonfire) in it lol

Just break up already. You're doing a real life "it's not you, it's me" thing with a game.

I do this with the Gothics. I've tried Gothic 1/2 several times because I "should" love them. Unfortunately, they all look horrible nowadays, so I had to move on. I do enjoy Risen 3 though. I've played through that one a few times. Love the hidden loot.

Was going to play Elex, but Solasta has a mini-sale so gonna give that a go next.

Trying Underrail. At first, I thought it was another game with an insane difficulty level a la Age of Decadence. Then I realized that I had just tried adventuring in an area I'm expected to visit a couple of level later. Pheeew!

Otherwise, the game is pretty enjoyable so far. Interesting setting & classic turn based gameplay.

Trying Underrail. At first, I thought it was another game with an insane difficulty level a la Age of Decadence. Then I realized that I had just tried adventuring in an area I'm expected to visit a couple of level later. Pheeew!

Otherwise, the game is pretty enjoyable so far. Interesting setting & classic turn based gameplay.

I died a lot throughout my playtime (42 hour) but I enjoyed the game. Hopefully I'll get back to it one of these days.

Playing nioh 2 on PC. Good game, sort of like diablo builds and loot mixed with Dark souls combat (kinda) and difficulty. Builds seem to trump skill.

Very fun game. I didn't have any difficulty issues with the game but I think it's possible to screw up your build if you do spread yourself too thin.

I didn't end up finishing the game because the final level is a mind ****.

But I did enjoy the game a lot.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Cyberpunk 2077 (again). Just did one of the coolest things I've ever done in a game - rode a rollercoaster. Realistic enough hat my partner who suffers a little from motion sickness could not watch it all!

Operencia is charming, and lots of fun. I just completed some dungeon area, and then I was roaming through a forest, and last night before I stopped I'd just arrived at an underground tomb. I'm really enjoying the story, combat and exploration of this one, I hope it keeps me entertained for a few more weeks of glory!

Cyberpunk 2077 (again). Just did one of the coolest things I've ever done in a game - rode a rollercoaster. Realistic enough hat my partner who suffers a little from motion sickness could not watch it all!
Pft, been there, done that, with 3D Vision, all night long

Granted, Cyberpunk probably has a few more polygons involved...

Code vein. An anime souls-like. Combat is fun, but the level design could be better. Finding shortcuts and backtracking don't feel that rewarding. Still a decent attempt, but...

Why aren't girls dressed in this game? Can't they find decent bras that aren't torn? I'm mostly amused as I imagine how that was decided in the design process.

I mean an actual artist / person made those models. What went on in their head when they were stretching out the polygons of that chest a bit? Or what were the voice actors thinking when they had to speak those submissive and high-pitched lines of that 18-year girl with the big eyes. Did any one of them complain?

To be fair, in combat and most of the game I don't really notice it (or i got used to it).

Star Wars: Battlefront II

I got it for free on the Epic store so I thought I'd give it a try. Plus I was bored and in the mood for something Star Wars.

It's no Jedi: Fallen Order, that's for sure. I'm not disappointed though because I wasn't expecting much from the single-player campaign to begin with.

The visuals and sound are excellent, but those are the only areas where the game really excels. It's basically just a series of missions where you swap characters every few levels. Most of the missions are standard first or third person action, but there are also space missions where you're piloting an X-wing, Tie Fighter, etc. There's a story, but it's nothing to write home about. It's also very short. I've already finished the original campain in two sittings and I'm starting the add-on campaign now.

One thing that's quite annoying about it are the load times. It literally has the longest load screens I've seen in years, and that's on an SSD.

Still playing Wizardy 6. It is becoming more and more enjoyable as my party levels up. It is also enjoyable to discover simple things like using keys to unlock doors, and just discovered how to use the amulet of life even though I have been carrying it around my dead druid for many hours!

I just wish information on items is more meaningful.

Back
Top Bottom