Pillars of Eternity - Patch 1.04 Released

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Producer Brandon Adler of Obsidian posted news on the Pillars of Eternity forums with news the next patch is now available on Steam, and other digital services later on.

The 1.04 (540) patch is now live on Steam. It is currently going through the QA process for GOG and Origin and should be available on those sites in the next day or two. We will be posting a backer update regarding the patch later today or tomorrow. You can find the patch notes for 1.04 here.
More information.

Huh. The 1.03-to-1.04 patch is up on GOG, but when I try to apply it to my 1.03 patched installation it fails claiming I have the wrong version. Go figure.

Patch loaded on Steam yesterday without problems. I think it's time now to resume my playthrough. The worst bugs seem to be squashed now.

Huh. The 1.03-to-1.04 patch is up on GOG, but when I try to apply it to my 1.03 patched installation it fails claiming I have the wrong version. Go figure.

I had the same problem, but redownloading 1.03 and then applying 1.04 did the trick.

Had no problems. But it does seem to be a problem for some people.

I had the same problem, but redownloading 1.03 and then applying 1.04 did the trick.

They updated patch 1.03 to have the 1.03 hotfix in it, that's probably why some people might have to redownload 1.03 before installing 1.04.

I am playing the waiting game with this kind of games.
Gotta play them when they are well done.

It was well done at release. I played 50 hrs before the first patch without any real bugs (other than minor stuff like occasional stuttering audio, e.g. - rare). No crashes or any noticeable scripting bugs.

Some people encountered issues; many did not. But it's not really fair to say it wasn't "well done" at release. PoE delivered at least the same stability level as a typical AAA+ game...for better or worse. A far cry from KotOR or even NWN2. ;)

Even for people who want to wait for, say, 98% stability, Pillars has been worth playing for at least the last week, and arguably since 1.02.

I ran into a few bugs, but I was able to finish it in an enjoyable fashion. Still, the bugs are noticeable, so I'm going to wait before I do another play through. Plus I want to try it after they've done a re-balancing pass or two.

The game was already very stable and suprisingly bug-free, if you don't count the biggie "double-click in inventory" bug, which I didn't encounter since I never double-clicked. Only problem I had was still being on a 32bit OS which Unity apparently doesn't like much, so I got my share of CTDs during area transistions. Not really Pillars fault and I think they got it a bit more stable with the patches.

Still I decided to take a break till they released 1.03/1.04. Now I have a different problem: I got Underrail in the meantime and I'm thoroughly hooked and can't stop (and that game won't even be completely finished till summer). If you like Fallout 1/2 you should take a look. It's only 8 euro bucks on Steam.

I finished my first playthrough last night. I encountered a few bugs and a few crashes but no worse than anything else I've played the last several years. Obsidian has done a good job with bugs the last several games they've released (Pillars, South Park, DS3) I hope they're starting to shake the "buggy developer" reputation they had.

The "attribute increasing" and the double click bugs were really bad. Then the update broke lockpicking for a while. Hope now it is better

There were lots of really bad bugs at release. Thing is that you might not have known you had them. E.g. that some of your attributes stacked and you didn't realize that everything was easier than it should have been.
Or right now there is still the bug, that on loading a game all opponents are loaded as half dead. Before you engage into combat you first need to wait like 15 seconds after loading. Otherwise you'd cheat through the combat.

The "attribute increasing" and the double click bugs were really bad. Then the update broke lockpicking for a while. Hope now it is better

The patch didn't break lockpicking. It made it so that someone who was playing with a prepatch custom made adventurer from an inn or adventurer's hall (not including the main pc) couldn't pick locks. That's still annoying for day 1 players who made an additional lock picker from the adventurer's hall, though. I think the attribute increasing bug was one of the worst.

Love that they are going to continue to improve this game over the next few months. Almost makes me want to stop playing for a little bit to get a cleaner more fleshed out experience. But of course I won't! Can't stop playing this awesome game.

Glad that they continue to patch it! I had a few game-breaking bugs and they have been ironed out with 1.03, and 1.04 should continue to fix other things. Good deal. ^^

I am also incredibly pleased to see that there are no further balance tweaks in this new patch! Hooray! (My hardcover strategy guide thanks you, Obsidian! ^^)

Man you took my comment way too seriously.

I didn't take your message that seriously at all - I was simply trying to be helpful for folks who are still on the fence.

I didn't experience any of the attribute-increase problems (I even checked rolls). It was a doozy, especially given that it was so hard to spot, but it wasn't universal. I also avoided the crash at Raedric's Hold, the big Defiance Bay bug, the random area-transition crashes, and the double-click-to-equip bug. And, as others pointed out, no update "broke lockpicking"; it only created issues for a specific sub-case. All of these were significant problems, but they weren't a case of the entire game being a broken mess for everyone who fired it up. I'm cautiously optimistic that Obsidian will continue delivering this (basically normal/average) level of stability when it controls its own QA processes and can integrate those with development.

I am playing the waiting game with this kind of games.
Gotta play them when they are well done.

I'm waiting as well, seems like a reasonable approach. Everyone has their own idea of what constitutes " playable". I don't really understand the people saying play it because they avoided the bugs or didn't think the bugs were that bad or most of the bugs are fixed, just a couple left. If that's fine for them great but it's not fine for everyone because it's fine for them.

I played a bit of it and it seems to be a fine game and I'm sure I'll have a good time playing when they are done releasing stuff for it.

Back
Top Bottom