Xenoblade Chronicles for 3DS?

Aubrielle

Noveliste
So I've noticed Xenoblade Chronicles getting some press. For those that don't know, it's the 3DS re-release of one (or possibly more, I don't actually know) of the Xenoblade games, I believe originally for the Wii. It's been rated pretty highly on its Metacritic user score and it has the advantage of being a tried-and-true JRPG franchise.

The question is…is it worth getting brand new, fresh after release?

Has anyone tried it yet?

Nice find Aubrielle I played the English release on the Wii console. It reminded me of the old Xenogears RPG on the PSOne console. I highly recommend everyone play it.

The developer has a sequel that was just released called Xenoblade Chronicles X.

Link - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xenoblade_Chronicles_X

I've heard good things about it. I was mildly interested in it until I read that it will only work with the new 3DS. So if you have the older version 3DS (like me) or a 3DS XL, you're out of luck.

I posted on my community, but the Wii version is a top-class RPG. If it's half as good for the 3DS, it's worth getting. :)

I own the Wii version, and I actually beat it. The game did overstay its welcome though, with the second half feeling like a slog. The setting is interesting, the characters were, with one big exception, mostly good, and combat did not feel overly grindy, but towards the later parts of the game, the story progression slowed down. I don't think it's worth full price, but if you like the genre, and can find it for ~½ its launch price, it might be worth getting.

Played it on the Wii, and highly recommend to those who don't have a conniption fit at the mention of JRPGs.

Suggest playing in japanese with subs. The english voiceover was praised, but I just found it comical.

Played it on the Wii, and highly recommend to those who don't have a conniption fit at the mention of JRPGs.

Suggest playing in japanese with subs. The english voiceover was praised, but I just found it comical.

Didn't the game get re-translated when it was released in the US, or am I mixing it up with another game? In the version that I played, which was the European one, many voices sounded quite British.

Didn't the game get re-translated when it was released in the US, or am I mixing it up with another game? In the version that I played, which was the European one, many voices sounded quite British.

Yep - it was the British voices I heard. Being a Briton myself, I found the voices to have escaped from a bad English soap opera - the ones where posh actors pretend to be cockneys.

If I recall, The Last Story got the same treatment, as both of these RPGs were originally NOT going to be translated until a large internet campaign started to localize them.

If I recall, The Last Story got the same treatment, as both of these RPGs were originally NOT going to be translated until a large internet campaign started to localize them.

Yep. Pandora's Tower was the final game that got translated due to that campaign.

I've heard good things about it. I was mildly interested in it until I read that it will only work with the new 3DS. So if you have the older version 3DS (like me) or a 3DS XL, you're out of luck.

What?!?

I actually didn't know that until you said it. :( That's such a sleazy thing to do! I'm like you and I have the old 3DS (it was the only way I could get the pretty red I wanted) and there's no way I'm getting a new one. That's so lame!!

Still, thanks for saying something. :(

It's all the more disappointing since everyone's talking about how good it is! :(

I own the Wii version, and I actually beat it. The game did overstay its welcome though, with the second half feeling like a slog. The setting is interesting, the characters were, with one big exception, mostly good, and combat did not feel overly grindy, but towards the later parts of the game, the story progression slowed down. I don't think it's worth full price, but if you like the genre, and can find it for ~½ its launch price, it might be worth getting.

That's a very good description imo. I played the Wii version via emulator prior to the English release, and I ran out of steam in the second half.

I found the world and characters a lot more interesting than what's in most modern JRPGs, but it really started to drag at a certain point and I moved on to something else.

Sorry to hear that, Aubri! :(

I actually bought a used Wii from Ebay awhile back just to play this game and the Last Story. I never did get around to play TLS, unfortunately, but it's buried in my backlog to check out someday. :)

I really recommend you try TLS. It is ugly sure. But everything else in it is great. I liked it more than XBC. Really deserved better reviews.

Oh, I want to try TLS, it's just a little inconvenient at the moment since the only Wii in the house is my mom's. I'd have to find an HDMI adapter for it, hook it up to my screen, the controller is missing the nun-chuk part and ugh.

I will probably just emulate it with a Wii PC emulator someday. Much easier at this point. :)

This is what it looks like on pc emulator. :)

Well if your going to use the Dolphin emulator to play The Last Story RPG be prepared for constant black textures, and very slow frame rates at certain scenes.

Link - https://wiki.dolphin-emu.org/index.php?title=The_Last_Story

I played it two years ago so it might have improved since then.

I hope so, Couch.

Damian, it looks great, thanks for sharing that! :)

You can play it with the classic controller setup so you can use any good controller with the emulator I assume.

I need a new controller for my PC. I don't currently have one. :(

Back
Top Bottom