G-Sync vs IPS

lostforever

SasqWatch
I am after a 27"+ inch 1440p monitor and it seems due to the fucking brexit prices in UK have gone up and I have to compromise!

1440p IPS G-Sync monitors are in excess of £600 which is beyond my budget of £300 -£400.

I mainly play single player RPGs and MMORPGS, given this, what will be more useful, IPS or G-Sync?

thanks

Edit: - I had a 29 in 2506 x 1080 ultra wide. It was good for gaming but not good for work due to the lack of height of the monitor since I need/like to see lot of code at the same time. Unfortunately 34 inch ultra wide is out of the question due to desk real estate :(

MMORPGs are all trash that needs 30 frames per second the most. I have yet to see one that needs more, there is no such game (although I never tried that korean overhyped garbage Black Desert, not sure if it'd benefit from more frames).

Singleplayer RPGs depend, some are designed not to need high number of frames (The Stick of Truth for example), some excell on at least 60 FPS (The Witcher 3).

However if you're into competitive action MMOs, driving suimulators and shooters in general, more frames you have, the marrier. 100-120 frames in those is plenty. Some sites are bragging about 200 or even more frames in some games, it's definetly not needed nowhere and is an overkill, you're not superman and you won't notice the difference. Even if you're impaired in some way, you will notice the difference between 100 frames on PC and 30 on playstations phones. Those who claim they don't see any difference are either liars or never played TW3 on 30 FPS then switched it on 60. The difference 30 vs 60 is even more noticable in racing idiocies like GTA5, but okay, you don't play those rubbish products.
When you're running a game past 60 frames per second, that's where gsync comes in play to avoid screentearing. Otherwise, vsync is more than enough.

To sum it up, no, you don't need gsync (nor freesync) monitor. JDR who plays dooms and doomoids needs it.

Last edited:
Yes, thanks to the genius of Brexit, UK tech prices are now horrendous. One thing I would mention, is that the newly announced HDMI 2.1 spec introduces VRR (variable refresh rate), which should standardise the benefits of g-sync in future displays. Might be worth waiting for a while.

While new HDMI spec does (finally) allow refresh rates more than 60 FPS (will go 120 to be precise), sadly you'll need a new cable and your GPU will need a new connector otherwise it'll still work as "normal" HDMI.
When it comes to gaming, HDMI should be left for phones and similar pathetic hardware, on PC it's basically a downgrade.

Yes, of course it requires new hardware that supports it. I'm just saying that, personally, I would put off a monitor purchase until my next GPU that supports it, when I think it will become more of a standard than a premium feature. Also, IMO, it's worth waiting for screens with proper 10bit HDR.

Of course it'll become standard, but he wants 1440p monitor ASAP. ;)

If it matters (and I didn't state in the first post) I don't have IPS monitor but classic TN and have absolutely no problems with it. But then again I'm not watching it from a side ever nor am playing coop games where I'd want nondistorted colors regardless of position.
It all depends on the buyer's current needs. Besides, eventually he can sell the monitor he buys now on ebay and grab a new one.

There are benefits to using G-Sync even at lower frame rates. It isn't restricted to high frame rates only. Here is an article with several examples showing that: http://www.digitaltrends.com/comput...rth-the-price-or-destined-for-the-parts-pile/
It should be noted that even with G-Sync it makes no sense to have a higher fps than the maximum refresh rate of your monitor.

Using G-Sync over Displayport is similar to using the VRR option in HDMI 2.1, so I don't think there is really a need for waiting until VRR on HDMI is available.

IPS panels in general generate a better image than e.g. a TN panel. For all your photo editing stuff an IPS panel is most of the time better. I don't know if it brings much when gaming though.

Alternatively, you could choose a monitor without G-Sync, but with a higher refresh rate than whatever amount of frames per second you can achieve with your games. In that case you can turn off V-sync. The image will not be as good as with G-Sync, but the differences should not be that big.

Using G-Sync over Displayport is similar to using the VRR option in HDMI 2.1, so I don't think there is really a need for waiting until VRR on HDMI is available.

Yes, I don't mean that it's introducing tech that can't be achieved now - I just mean that I think it will become a standard feature, and not command the price premium of g-sync, nor the nvidia lock-in. I also tend to use monitors for many years, and I will personally wait for 10bit HDR panels to reach reasonable prices before upgrading, as I find that to be the biggest bump in quality for a long time.

I need a monitor soon, 1 week max.

I will not be looking at the monitor from the side and it will be mainly be sued for gaming and coding. Given this, can I skip the IPS and go for TN? I want the best looking game :)

IMO, good TN panels can look great for gaming. I wouldn't be put off by the advantages of IPS. I'd take a good TN panel with g-sync or Freesync, any day.

IMO, good TN panels can look great for gaming. I wouldn't be put off by the advantages of IPS. I'd take a good TN panel with g-sync or Freesync, any day.

My friend and I had this discussion the other day. He has 3 older LG Flatron TN panels, that looked so good and had such deep blacks, I thought they were VA panels. In the end, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. A really good TN LCD is going to be much better than a crappy IPS LCD. I'd recommend going to a nearby store that can let you see one you like at least, before you order.

I personally decided on this one:

http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX61973

For both coding and gaming and movies. However you've already decided that size wasn't for you, which is why I think you should see one in person, as just by this example, someone's taste might not be yours.

Interesting thread as my new monitor I got is an ASUS ROG PG278Q 27" Nvidia G-Sync and is 2560x1440 with a 144 refresh rate. Although for the games I play, with graphic post-processing with ENB or ReShade, plus mods, I seldom see FPS above 50 regardless. Still the screen is amazing and much better than my previous monitor. Thin, lightweight, excellent graphics, and the edges use up very little of the precious screen real estate.

Is your 29" already gone? If not, the cheapest solution is to buy a used TFT with pivot on eBay. You can get 23-24" for ca. 50€. This should be enough vertical space. Using 2 displays shouldn't be a problem.

I have sold my 29 inch. Also I don't have desk space for 2 monitors as my desk is only 100cm wide :(

Based on what you guys have said, I am also thinking of TN panels as well.

you can rotate your ultra-wide when you are coding ;) gives you a lot of vertical space.

One of the biggest problem of trying these out is that, we no longer have good retial shops in UK which have any of these monitors. We have PC World and all they have in display are crappy monitors.

Anyway, I am thinking of this for now, its 1440p IPS 27 inch panel and seems reasonable for the price of £280. Anyone have this?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Monitors...&ie=UTF8&qid=1484050843&sr=1-8&keywords=gsync

IPS is more important on laptops as the screen will be tilted somewhat most of the time. A good TN will be fine on a desktop. As to refresh rates, I'm fine at 60 as its smooth for me. Plus I like turning up all the graphics options so I'm rarely at 60 fps anyway. At the larger resolution you want you will probably not reach 60 fps either. I've never had GSync so can't comment on that.

One of the biggest problem of trying these out is that, we no longer have good retial shops in UK which have any of these monitors. We have PC World and all they have in display are crappy monitors.

If you live near London, there's several electronics shops on the Tottenham Court Road that have loads of good stuff on display.

If you live near London, there's several electronics shops on the Tottenham Court Road that have loads of good stuff on display.

Ah yes forgot about that but I live in Cambridge so its at least 90 min travel time :(

Ah yes forgot about that but I live in Cambridge so its at least 90 min travel time :(

90 min? I drove over 2 hours to get the only boxed copy of Drakensang that I could find in Minnesota upon it's release.

90 mins for a monitor, That's child's play. Now get out there and support your hobby!:lol:

Back
Top Bottom