Witcher How do I beat this plant??

The Witcher
So you can take White Honey and it eliminates the blurry visuals but leaves the slowdown effects of Blizzard? This would be exceptionally cool, as I intend to replay on hard and I know I'll need all the chemical assistance I can get--I just can't play the blurry stuff without some motion sickness problems. (Strange, drinking in RL seldom has that problem--maybe because I stop moving. :) )

magerette said:
So you can take White Honey and it eliminates the blurry visuals but leaves the slowdown effects of Blizzard?
No, no. I think maybe Prime Junta joking, confused or his post confused us. :)

I'll need all the chemical assistance I can get-
Lol, we are talking about games here, think of the children! :p

I thought I remembered that White Honey wiped all effects. I would bet Prime J is saying one can use it after the fight so the double vision goes away sooner.

White honey wipes all effects, but its a real lifesaver. I'll use it typically when Geralt is really low on health and his toxcity level is very high, you can't drink swallow or White Raffard's Decoction without hurting yourself...so that is when white honey comes in the picture :) An other way to clear toxcity is to meditate, but sometimes you can't..

Yeah, as I said somewhere else, visually the Blizzard effect sucks. But it sure does work well when I'm in a pinch!

I finished The Witcher last night and started over on hard difficulty. I admit to cheating and using my memory of recipes from the first game to make certain potions a lot earlier than you actually find them. Geralt is having very selective memory recall :) I hate drunkeness and Wive's Tears sell for 20 gp each. White Honey is another mainstay. I find myself over-intoxicated quite frequently on this game!

I used to hate drunkeness, due to the (incredibly) slow speed at which you move... but then i found out that if you can pull out your sword, you run at normal speed. As most of the required (quest-related) drinking goes on at night, you can pull your sword out almost everywhere (outdoors) so it's not really a problem for me

btw.. white honey does not cure the effects of intoxication.

Yep, I've been set straight. :)

I think he said Wive's Tears-for drunknness---and White Honey as a mainstay to relieve toxicity, which is probably useful at the Hard difficulty when you're guzzling several different potions per combat.

Ha, I played it through on hard. I am sorry to say, while I love other parts, the gameplay really SUCKS. The alchemy system is completely useless, I didn't mix a single potion! The game is just to crazy easy even on the hard setting, There is one potion that I have ever drunk and it is swallow, I have never had any reason to touch any of the other potions or bombs or whatever else!, after playing through almost the entire game, I have to say that the character advancement system, the alchemy system, and the combat system really sucks. IN 99% of all combats you press one button. The timing is really easy too. Economy is useless I haven't bought a single thing, except some books needed for quests.

The setting and graphics are really nice... they could just remove the gameplay completely.

Thus there is no need to drink any white honey, or any other potion. It is really easy to get through by only drinking one swallow before the ( few ) big battles.

All bow down to the infinite gaming superiority of GothicGothicness. :roll:

@ Magerette: I haven't found any Wive's Tears bottles or formula yet, but it'll come in handy when I do! I seem to be drunk all the time in this game, which is cool because for once in a game getting drunk actually has a point, as opposed to the usual pointless marketing propaganda "hey, our game is like real-life because you can drink in it!"

All bow down to the infinite gaming superiority of GothicGothicness

I ussually suck at action games,,,, LOL, never heard someone say something like that. IT is the system that is seriously broken and flawed not me that are doing something good, unfortunately :(

That may be true for you GG, but I was mixing and drinking potions left and right on easy level. Cat for the dark places, Tawny Owl to regenerate endurance for signs, Swallow of course, and White Raffard's occasionally. And while I seldom had to reload, I certainly wouldn't say most of the battles where that easy for me--in the swamp, for instance, you had to be careful to pick your ground or you'd be surrounded--the wyvern island for example. ...but it's true I'm not the world's greatest gamer. ;)

If you read some of the posts in this thread, I think you'll have to admit though that not everybody found things as easy as you did, so like Jabberwocky, I also salute your abilities. You're better than you think you are. :)

@Jabs--yes I used Wives Tears a lot--and I did as few of the drinking contests as I could get away with--that double vision, wavering-around stagger thing brought back too many memories. ;)

You're better than you think you are.

Better at exploiting the flaws in the game,, the wyvern? use the ( aard ?) sign the one to stun them, and one click they are gone, ok I should say by clicking two buttons, I used aard sign, swallow and sword, but that is all to complete the game,, all the other stuff is really unnecesary. If you have a trouble in any battle just keep running while you have drank the swallow potion until your life is full again, if someone come to close use aard sign. Sometimes you also need to use the fast style exploit to prevent a enemy from attacking you ( like on that plant described earlier in this thread )

Last edited:
Yes, I used those techniques and found them fun, and frequently challenging--not exploits--they required some tactical thinking, setting up your strategy, etc--unlike the games I think of as easy--hack and slash your way through a horde of weak monsters to finally kill a little tougher monster all with one repeated click. I obviously play too many action rpgs. :)

It is true that combat did become repetitive after awhile, and that once you had figured out your strategies as you listed above, you could pretty much rinse and repeat. That's where the story and characters saved the game for me. I don't think TW is a game that could stand on combat alone.

Imho the game's difficulty is just right on 'Hard.' It's challenging enough to make me flinch when enemies get the drop, but just easy enough to pass off the idea of Geralt being a bad *ss Witcher, - and makes you feel the same way as you play him. Any more difficult would be tedious with having to re-load more. As a very busy adult I simply do not have that kind of time.

I often find myself liking games with insane difficulty (e.g. Gothic, Independance War) but I prefer the design of TW, what I would call a "mediumly difficult" game (on hard, that is. And that's the way the game should be played - it just feels right).

Since the battle system is so flawed I am glad it is so easy as I do not have to bother with it. I still think it would be a better game if they removed all the combat, inventory management, alchemy, and economy, poker dice, fist fights, etc etc. I will write my full opinion, that is unfortunately much more negative than the RPGWatch review after I feel I am completely done with the game. I really love graphics, settings, and choices and consequences though! A pity they screwed up everything else so badly.

My compliments to Gothic and any one else that can whup a Coccacidium that easily. I'm level 11 , playing on hard, and have no trouble killing anything and everything except for these beasties. They just rip me to shreds. I've doped up on Swallow, Blizzard and Thunderbolt (not all at once), used diamond dust, the silver sword oil, etc... Tried strong, fast, Igni (mine is perhaps too weak) I just can't last with this thing for more than 30 - 45 seconds.

I'm a twitch and usually don't have issues with this stuff so I was real glad to hear Gothics tip about the fast style. Alas, I'm just out classed at the moment.

I finally decided to just walk Gramps to his shrine via the back country and carved a path through the multitude hordes. It was much easier, I'll come back to the Coccacidai later, and Mitra help them when I do as her pleasures will seem merciful by comparison!

Where's Ellen Ripley when you need her:
I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure. :gorath:

Last edited:
Great line and I can only approve the smilie usage. :] (I'm addicted to the damn things.)

I think your strategy is sound, since it's pretty much what I did. ;) The igni power-up is the cheesiest way to kill the plant people, but it takes talent investment. I came back toward the end of the act , fired from a distance and took it out in about four shots. Other people in the thread did it some other ways--so really you can use a variety of approaches--I'm just fond of the firestorm style.

@ GothicGoth.. So if you remove nearly every single component of the game as you suggest, what kind of a game do you have left? An avatar that walks around in pretty scenery? That last post almost sounded trollish, seriously.

Anyway, I beat the Coccacidium last night. First time I've been able to sit down to the game in 3+ weeks. I was maxed out on bronze Igni talents, but still had to get up close and personal. Took three *Insert Monty Python quote here* "RUN AWAY!" attempts to allow for healing, but by golly I beat the darn thing!

Back
Top Bottom