10 days until DOOM!

Eh, isn't this game more for nerds (no offense :p) and the like? I remember way back in school when several of them would scuttle during off hours to play it and come back later yelling frantically : Doom! Doom! Doom!
It was pretty funny at the time. ;)

Hey, I had great fun with the first one. I even made my own WAD!

Time to string up Bobo again.
5A92497F583F964CC7096601A9CD64EC96087FC2

Minimum system requirements:

That's double the size of The Witcher 3.
Does it mean to finish the game we'll have to spend 200+ hours?

I don't get your reasoning here, unless you're just making an argument based on nothing to ridicule DOOM, and other ID-tech games. What makes them take up so much space is their textures. Recent ID-games have what they call "Mega textures", which is just a fancy name for them supporting really really big textures. ID-tech 5 supported textures with a resolution up to 128,000 × 128,000. That takes up disk space, but it can also end up looking really really good, if applied right.

Daggerfall is 500mb, and The Witcher 3 is not 7 times longer than Daggerfall.

While I thought Doom 3 was a nice game, it was not Doom enough for me: not colorful enough. I loved the original - and Ultimate Doom and Doom 2 and Final Doom - so I'm looking forward to this one, should it ever hit the bargain bin (because chances are bigger that I will have a computer able of running the game by then).
I really hope it will have electric blue carpets, red seas of blood, lime colored radioactive stuff and candle flames in all colors. And Zombies with green hair. And can I have another Heretic game, please? And then Hexen. And a reboot of Blake Stone.

Seen this video, JDR? It's insane. Some might say overkill - but other oldtime Doom/Quake FPS fanatics will drool.

Seen this video, JDR? It's insane. Some might say overkill - but other oldtime Doom/Quake FPS fanatics will drool.

Not an oldtime FPS fanatic (at least not a very fanatic one). Still drooling.

Pibbur who can wait. 9 days.

Nice… the visuals are great, but I expected no less from id. They've always been on the cutting edge in that category. I shouldn't have a problem running it on max settings with my system. :excited:

Even Doom 3 still looks fantastic for a 12-year old game. I'm about to do a playthrough with this hi-def mod+add-on. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbLgB2SiEhk

1:30 minutes long video?
I thought it's the whole game from start to finish, but then it'd take less time.

I picked up the latest Wolfenstein from Steam when it was on sale for a song and I really hated the save game system, which was the dreaded checkpoints. I fear Doom 4 will also use that for the Windows version.

Not sure about the save system, but hopefully it's not like the one in the Wolfenstein games.

Just found this on Neogaf. It's about the PS4 version though:

"There are checkpoints. Also you can't manually save when you want to. It is just checkpoints. Once you complete a level, it gives you the option of save and exit though. 3 save slots on PS4 for campaign. So you can have 3 parallel playthroughs if you want."
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=203133538&postcount=426

Apparently Bethesda will not give out review copies to anyone.
Not that it matters, everyone will finish the game the same day they buy it so what'd be the point of reviews, right? :evilgrin:

Just found this on Neogaf. It's about the PS4 version though:

"There are checkpoints. Also you can't manually save when you want to. It is just checkpoints. Once you complete a level, it gives you the option of save and exit though. 3 save slots on PS4 for campaign. So you can have 3 parallel playthroughs if you want."
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=203133538&postcount=426

Damn.

And this is one reason Ive stopped new playing new console-first FPS's or Hack and Slashers.

Crappy save systems. :(

I don't see a problem. You can't save if you don't have enough space on HDD.
So there.

No, your external USB 3.0 HDD with 4Tb free space can't help - devs are thinking we're in 1990s.

Nothing is 7 times longer than Daggerfall :) I think I played the first Doom when it came out, but they're not my cup of tea.

Yea and Tetris is 3 bytes and nothing can beat the time you can spend with it, not even Daggerfall.

You're comparing 320x200 graphics game with today's top visual/sound products.

The most imporant thing to notice about nVidia's GTX1080 on AMD's vulkan:
Frame rates hitting up to 200 fps at 1080p ultra.

This is very interesting. Does it mean nVidia will concentrate on their competition's API more than on dx12 because of Microsoft's UWP rubbish? We'll see.
http://www.pcgamer.com/id-software-shows-doom-running-on-gtx-1080-using-vulkan/
The video starts off running at 1080p (which is the limit of the projector being used) with V-Sync enabled, and the frame rate is a steady 60 fps. After a minute or so, they shut off V-Sync and you'll see performance jump into the 120-200 fps range. id says there are still a few graphical glitches they're working to fix, specifically when the game hits 200 fps. Apparently there are some bugs in the game engine at 200 fps that they "weren't able to detect until they had the performance of the GTX 1080."
O_O

Any monitors out there with over 144Hz?

Meanwhile on consoles… Meh. Except Bioware's PR who cares for that crap anymore.

The whole 200 fps thing is only good for benchmarking. Nobody is going to play at that framerate unless they enjoy massive amounts of screen tearing and flicker.

Anybody get a chance to play it? I did, for about an hour last night. It runs smooth as butter at 2560x1440, all on ultra on my gtx 980, at 60+ fps. I also love its attitude. From the start they make fun of games that have too much upfront exposition. I love it so far. It's very fast paced, and quite different in style from Doom 3, I find. Also you get to fight demons 5 seconds from the start. So that's good. They also feature hidden stuff, which I particularly like.

Back
Top Bottom