Buying new PC ( for 2077)..any recommendations

BoboTheMighty

SasqWatch
So! It basically comes down to buying new motherboard, CPU, and RAM, essential parts.
Still have a pretty good case, Kendomen Deepcool, got it pretty cheap, but works rather well, well aired. If there's something really good/for price, might replace it though.
Any recommendations? My 970 is still doing fine, though I'll probably replace it, soon enough, no rush, after I get this running ( probably 2080ti or something)
As PSU, have pretty good, Seasonic Focus Gold 80+ 750W…long warranty ( ten years or so, probably will outlive you guys :p), runs great, no need for replacement, has enough kick in it ( I think).
SSD? Probably also buying, but no rush, afterwards.
And usual 1000 TB HDD, one of those two, works fine.
Any advice? Should I wait, or buy now?
I'm thinking new Ryzen ( whatsitcalled) 6-8 cores, plus about 32 GB RAM and decent Motherboard ( no need for SLI, dual cards or whatsitcalled, just something good and reliable)
Edit..missed tech section. Ok, this can be moved there.

Two things you did not mention - target resolution (what you need for 1080p is a lot less than 4K); what cpu you currently have.
-
My current game system is a haswel i7 (i5 would have been sufficient but hte i7 was cheaper at purchase time) and 1070. I have no intention of upgrading this system - the gpu is fine for my gaming - i game at 1440p.
-
The amd cpu you probably want is 3900x (the low end - 3920x?); i'd go with 16GB ram but if you really want 32GB then who am i to tell you what to do - but i personally would go with 16GB. I'd wait on the gpu - and personally i prefer paltinum or titantinum psu - but they are excessively expensive - 750W is plenty. If you have a decent cpu and ram now - i'd just wait - life in compute land is always getting faster and cheaper - and i'd only upgrade after you discover some real issue.
-
The things that might interest you in the future will be hdr (and next time you get a new monitor you will want an hdr monitor) - as for resolution - i'd stay at 1080p or 1440p - 4k is probably not worth the gpu cost - but hdr is pretty nice if you can find it at a lower resolution.

Wait one year. Ryzen 3 is great, but radeons will only be on the new architecture fully next year, which hopefully will bring some real improvements to amd gpus. Including raytracing

Bonus points, Cyberpunk will only be released next year. By then you will have a better idea of system requirements.

Yeah, if you're trundling along happily with your current setup, I'd wait until the last minute before the upgrade. AMD are certainly back in the game with their CPUs, but they haven't really pulled out their high-end GPU offering yet. I'd wait and see what materialises in 2020.

Budget?

Assuming it's not capped yet you don't want to get scammed into buying i9…

Case - any shipped with 3+ fans inside and with 2+ USB 3.0 ports on front/top
PSU - any cca 500W with a name and is silent is good, avoid cheap nonames
CPU - R(yzen)5 3600, nuff said
MoBo - any from ASUS with numerous USB ports, would be awsome if it supports PCIe4.0, but it's not required
RAM - as fast as humanly possible on that MoBo
HDD - none
SDD - as many and as big as possible, buy cheapest ones
GPU - nVidia RTX 2060 super*, do not buy if there is no "super" word glued on it
K+M - cheapest ones, dump when die then buy again cheapest ones

Additional gadgetery, no rush to get any of it immediately:
- said no internal HDDs, but do buy at least one WD's My Passport 4TB or Seagate's whatever 4Tb external
- ASUS USB N14 (wifi dualantenna)
- no webcam
- I know you already have headphones so no reason to buy new ones
- still a student living in dorm like last year? :p Genius GX gaming 2000 is a must
- any UPS that can hold power for cca 5 minutes
- no mushrooms

That leaves only a monitor. If you don't use 1080p capable monitor already, buy a new 1080p or 1440p, don't go placebo 4K and don't buy giants for walls.

------------------------------------------------------
* - If You Just Bought an Nvidia RTX 2060, You Should Be Super Pissed
- The $400 RTX 2060 Super and $500 RTX 2070 Super are frequently as fast or faster than the $700 RTX 2080.
- The 2070 Super will replace the 2070, and the 2080 Super due later this month will replace the 2080. The 2060 will now retail for $350 and the 2060 Super for $400.
- If you can afford the extra $50, get the 2060 Super. It’s incredible for the price.

So what Joxer is saying Ryzen 5 3600x is best option, for gaming/price wise? ( probably open world need more cores)
I'm planning to get GPU later on anyway, so only looking currently for good MBO+CPU+RAM combination. Any specific recommendations?
I think my old cpu is dying out, having some kind of shutdown issues, so I'm probably buying soon.
Still using 1080p monitor, but switching to 1440 soon. ( So 970 will work reasonably fine until then).

I don't keep up enough with the latest tech to know what CPU is currently the best bang for the buck - I'm sure the other guys can guide you.

I wouldn't worry too much about the idea of open worlds requiring more cores. There's not necessarily that much more going on in an open world game (at any one time) than a linear game. Most games still don't show that much benefit from many more cores, unless you're looking at some hardcore simulator of some kind. I think 6-8 cores will serve you fine for a long time, and more than that is really for tasks that break up neatly into separate jobs - more workstation type of stuff.

The new AMD stuff which was just revealed looks quite good and even though I'd still stick to nvidia, I'd expect prices to drop within the next couple of weeks.
As Joxer mentioned: For the 2070 and 2060 make sure it is "super", at least if it's at the same price point. The new AMD Cards RX 5700 and 5700 XT also perform quite well, though, and they are a bit cheaper. Apparently they are not doing as great in VR though, if that's something you focus on (and of course nvidia has the raytracing stuff).
If you go above the rtx 2070 however, nvidia is the only option.

For the CPUs it looks like AMD has a bit of an edge here, especially considering the pricing.

So depending on your price range it would probably be:

AMD 3600x,3700x,3800x,3900x
or Intel 9600k,9700k,9900k
with AMD being quite a bit faster on workloads, a tiny bit slower on games (probably not recognizable) and quite a bit cheaper.

Tbh I think CPUs are quite over the top now anyways. You'll probably be fine with the cheapest ones mentioned (e.g. the 3600x). Unless you are a professional and you are rendering stuff, you will probably not see much of a real difference in day to day use anyways and you can rather spend the spare 250€ compared to the expensive version into a GPU upgrade or a bigger SSD.

One more thing I wanted to mention and which I only saw mentioned in the review by Linus Tech Tips is the Fan for the board: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3aEv3EzMyQ

So the latest AMD boards (the ones supporting PCIe 4, which you probably wont need anytime soon) seem to all have these fan ON BOARD. Which in my experience is always the first thing to make trouble (I also get annoyed quickly by loud fans).
So it might be a consideration to not buy the x570 board but instead go to the last generation x470 board instead, not using the PCIe 4 stuff, but instead having the piece of mind of not having a fan you cannot replace and which might die on you without you noticing. The Ryzen Boards are upward compatible (might require bios upgrade), so you could still use the latest CPUs on that.

Edit: Aaaand the first AMD CPU issues popping up ^^
https://www.pcgamer.com/uk/bungie-is-investigating-why-destiny-2-wont-run-on-ryzen-3000-pcs/

Last edited:
cpu don't die by shutting down. You have an issue - either heat or psu. If the fan (on the cpu) is broken or insufficient then you might be overheating (you can log cpu heat from numerous free tools - intel has a nice one). If it isn't heat then it is likely the psu and if it is the psu you will have to address that with your new system.

So what Joxer is saying Ryzen 5 3600x is best option, for gaming/price wise? ( probably open world need more cores)
I'm planning to get GPU later on anyway, so only looking currently for good MBO+CPU+RAM combination. Any specific recommendations?
I think my old cpu is dying out, having some kind of shutdown issues, so I'm probably buying soon.
Still using 1080p monitor, but switching to 1440 soon. ( So 970 will work reasonably fine until then).

While joxer said some reasonable things he also said some worthless shit. The # of fans in the case will not define how well it cools. I've had cases with 4 fans that ran hot as an oven and cases with two fans that stayed cool. It depends on air flow; so read a bit more about the case then just number of fans. For gaming i like small systems (itx or smaller). Li ian had a nice case - but it required a mini gpu (i use a mini-1070). There are smaller cases that will take full length gpu but they are $300+ and I didn't feel like spending that much for a bloody case. There are reviews and such that can show you some of the thermal behavior. Does it matter - depends what you build - it can be hard to overheat an atx case - but sometimes you can still manage to do such....

Well, Joxer mentioned 3+ plus fans, which happens to be the point where the massive diminishing returns sets in. The fourth fan will almost do nothing, but up to three you'll see a benefit.
Good cable management and airflow on the other hand does not make a huge difference, unless you are working in a tiny case like the itx you mentioned.

I disagree and could provide several reviews that demonstrate what but i think at this ponit I will leave it at lets just agree to disagree. Btw fan size also matters more than number of fans - most of my cases have 2 fans - cept the one with 10 hd which has 4 (and it needs 4 to force air through the disks (3 in front 1 in back). My game system has 1 fan. cpu runs around 60 at full load.

Well, Joxer mentioned 3+ plus fans, which happens to be the point where the massive diminishing returns sets in. The fourth fan will almost do nothing, but up to three you'll see a benefit.
Good cable management and airflow on the other hand does not make a huge difference, unless you are working in a tiny case like the itx you mentioned.

I think 6-8 cores will serve you fine for a long time
4 (without hyperthreading) is currently enough for gaming.
Upcoming code written for PC is expected to move to 6 and most probably CP2077 will be optimized to benefit from such systems.
8 was, is and will remain worthless for gaming for a long long time. Buy only if while playing a modern game and not Nintendo malware ports you'll render something with AutoCAD, stream on twitch, mix audio, handbrake movies and mine cryptocurrencies in the background.
I have to speculate AMD deliberately made that certain mmo scam that calls itself a game not work on their CPUs. I would if I worked for AMD.
So the latest AMD boards (the ones supporting PCIe 4, which you probably wont need anytime soon) seem to all have these fan ON BOARD.
There is a good reason for that. PCIe4.0 SSDs get hot fast and without cooling their efficiency drops. Some of those are sold with their own heatsink in the box, some however aren't.
But, as I noted and if I understood correctly you agree, PCIe4.0 motherboard is not necessary. Yet.

Last edited:
So i wasted my time watching the video and will make these comments on the video itself. First they tested with one case and only one case; second they noted correctly that location of the fan was frequently more important than number of fans; third the configuration was some what narrow (for example if your case has drive bays in the front or on the bottom makes a difference where you want your fans; if you have dual gpu that will impact air flow differently than single gpu; if your case has a win tunnel; ...
-
My point is that video points out that configuration makes a differently but it hardly supports the idea that the number of fans guarantee adequate cooling; and any arbitrary case with 3 fans will provide ample cooling. My point is that some cases cool just fine with 1 fan and some cases do not cool adequately with 4 fans.

I can as well. Linus Tech Tips actually did some tests regarding that. ^^
Amount of Fans: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OmkmluAYAQ
Airflow: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDCMMf-_ASE

So i wasted my time watching the video and will make these comments on the video itself. First they tested with one case and only one case; second they noted correctly that location of the fan was frequently more important than number of fans; third the configuration was some what narrow (for example if your case has drive bays in the front or on the bottom makes a difference where you want your fans; if you have dual gpu that will impact air flow differently than single gpu; if your case has a win tunnel; …
-
My point is that video points out that configuration makes a differently but it hardly supports the idea that the number of fans guarantee adequate cooling; and any arbitrary case with 3 fans will provide ample cooling. My point is that some cases cool just fine with 1 fan and some cases do not cool adequately with 4 fans.

I think you're perspective is coming extremely from tiny builds in which it matters quite a bit what your cooling solution looks like. But once you are at a regular medium tower it won't matter a lot. Thing is, 3 fans is a sweet spot as with 2 intake and one outtake fans, you make sure that you have a decent air circulation before diminishing returns, and you have positive pressure (more fans taking air in than out) so that you don't suck in dust in small case openings and instead push it out. Ofc this requires having filteres infront of the fans in the first place.

Back
Top Bottom