Witcher 3 - More Popular Now than Launch Day

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
@Green Man Gaming The Witcher 3 has more people playing now than on launch day.

If you head over to Steam Charts, you can check out the concurrency numbers for the action RPG, with it hitting around 92,000 at launch. That has now been beaten, with it hitting 94,601 players in December, up from 26,594 in November.

Why's that? Well there's probably two reasons right now. The most obvious is the ubiquity of the Netflix Witcher series which has launched to acclaim both from fans of the series and enthusiast press (though it must be said, a mixed reaction from mainstream press).

[...]
More information.

First game also is popular; previous peak was 8.4k at the launch of part 3, now its 12.4k.

That and:
https://wccftech.com/the-witcher-on...cu-on-steam-sapkowski-now-1-author-on-amazon/
But perhaps the happiest news for The Witcher creator Andrzej Sapkowski is that his books are finally getting global recognition at the highest level. Many chapters of the fantasy saga are now among the best-selling on Amazon, which eventually led to his rise to the top spot of Amazon's Author Rank chart, beating even J.K. Rowling and her Harry Potter books.
Amazon author rank:
https://www.amazon.com/author-rank/...06a7aa25842cf953ead123edfb7c49&language=en_US

It makes perfect sense to me that the game would be much more popular once all the content is out and patched, compared to the day of release. One might even call that common sense these days. Of course, the new telly series might also be motivating some new blood to give the game a whirl.

All the contents been out for over 3 years. I doubt that has anything to do with it. It’s undoubtedly the tv series.

Of course, the new telly series might also be motivating some new blood to give the game a whirl.

Understatement of the year material. This new spike in players is 90% because of the new show, 9% because of holidays (meaning free time) and 1% because of people like me who incidentally started the trilogy two months ago have been chipping it piece by piece and just now started playing the third game (although, I have the GOG version, but I imagine some of use play it on Steam :D).

Again tried to finish this game twice throughout the year. And again failed. Im afraid its just not for me, being too much cRPG-mechanics-fag. Its probably well done story which kept me inrigued and disallowing me to toss it aside for good.

Again tried to finish this game twice throughout the year. And again failed. Im afraid its just not for me, being too much cRPG-mechanics-fag. Its probably well done story which kept me inrigued and disallowing me to toss it aside for good.

Yes, the mechanics of Witcher III are not the best and the loot is very lacking (otherwise a strong motivator for me).
BUT the stories and the game world are unsurpassed, which is why it is still one of the best games ever made.

I am also in the same boat. I managed to get through the second one purely because it wasn't a very long game but the 100 hours+ of Witcher 3 just puts me off every time. I was actually a fan of the first one but haven't really played much of 2 or 3.

I also couldn't progess through TW3 due to its mechanics (and the fact I hate playing set protagonist). But have to admit, I really enjoyed watching my husband playing through it - absolutely fantastic story telling!!!

Yea - unlike a lot of games the side quests in witcher 3 were really fantastic - not all of them but enough of them had self contained stories that were really good - in some cases better than the main game (though naturally much shorter).

I am also in the same boat. I managed to get through the second one purely because it wasn't a very long game but the 100 hours+ of Witcher 3 just puts me off every time. I was actually a fan of the first one but haven't really played much of 2 or 3.

Have you ever replayed the first one after doing the second?

When I did, I was shocked at how much backtracking and agonizing running you had to do. Did not remember that at all. That, and the pacing of the story are much better in the second game. As well as the combat mechanics.

purpleblob;1061591737 I really enjoyed watching my husband playing through it - [/QUOTE said:
Adequate depiction of this vid product's offer and how it is fitting for streaming.

Have you ever replayed the first one after doing the second?

When I did, I was shocked at how much backtracking and agonizing running you had to do. Did not remember that at all. That, and the pacing of the story are much better in the second game. As well as the combat mechanics.

I used this mod (the fastest preset) for my Witcher 1 playthrough. It speeds up Geralt's movement by 10-100%, based on the preset you choose. It was my 3rd or 4th time attempting to finish the game so I knew how much backtracking there is. Probably the mod that helped me the most to actually finish the game. Backtracking through Vizima and swamps was a nightmare.

I don't recall the backtracking in TW1 being that egregious. Annoying for sure, but not as bad as in Greedfall for example. I remember running back and forth a lot in Vizima, but that city isn't very large compared to those in more modern games.

I don't recall the backtracking in TW1 being that egregious. Annoying for sure, but not as bad as in Greedfall for example. I remember running back and forth a lot in Vizima, but that city isn't very large compared to those in more modern games.

I think it was that bad for me precisely because it wasn't that large. It was mind numbing to run around same three streets over and over again.

Have any good mods been released for Witcher 3? I'm mainly curious about stuff that would add new content / adventures but something that improves the official content could be good too.

Have any good mods been released for Witcher 3? I'm mainly curious about stuff that would add new content / adventures but something that improves the official content could be good too.
No and that's a huge disappointment. I know the original Witcher had a few mods that added more adventure modules, and Witcher 2 had the tools to make more.

Seems the mod tools were never released for Witcher 3, but a modder did release a program to make expansion mods. So were stuck with combat and graphic mods mostly.

Back
Top Bottom