Having a life at The Watch - or not - Page 2 - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » Having a life at The Watch - or not

Default Having a life at The Watch - or not

July 12th, 2019, 12:48
Originally Posted by dteowner View Post
You guys can be flat out jackasses and the moderation is on record for supporting such bad treatment as long as it goes strictly in the accepted direction.
Which direction. It is only abuse when received, not given.
Nobody forces anyone to step into the P&R swamp, but y'all are chasing him all over the forums, as evidenced here.
Comments are made in the threads they are made in. Plenty of occurrences of comments made outside the P&R section and with that, no time spent on typing the comment as it might be a copy paste or videos.

There is no point chasing something down when that something periodically rises up everywhere.

Now, those comments made everywhere on this site might have been answered anywhere on this site.
--
Backlog:0
ChienAboyeur is offline

ChienAboyeur

SasqWatch

#21

Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 5,902
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)

Default 

July 12th, 2019, 12:53
@lostforever Moderation only happens when something is against the TOS. One can not ask for moderation merely because one reads something one does not like. Note:
Constructive criticism of the work of a person is allowed, even if that person does not like the criticism. Also specific behavior of a person can be criticized
The only thing of the TOS that seems to be applicable here is ‘Off topic’:
In general a contribution to a discussion should add something to that discussion and keep the discussion going and on-topic, not stop it or divert it.
But if applied strictly in this thread lots of posts would have to be deleted, yours (#47) included @lostforever for it does not answer the question where Couch is.

If I had received a request from the one that started this thread ( @you ) to get rid of all the non-related stuff very soon after the first off-topic posts appeared high chance I would have done so, btw. It is his thread. I’d like to add: people wanting to deepen matters that come up in a thread are always free to copy/quote/quote+ one or more posts and start their own thread.
--
1. It's not what you say - it is the way you say it.
Lovely 2 minute video: 'Change your words, change your world'

2. Getting a YouTube video loaded and other BB codes, see this post
Last edited by Eye; July 12th, 2019 at 16:17.
Eye is offline

Eye

Eye's Avatar
Eye Watch
Super Moderator

#22

Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Europe
Posts: 2,138
Mentioned: 44 Post(s)

Default 

July 12th, 2019, 12:53
Originally Posted by dteowner View Post
The guy TOLD ME via PM exactly what I related. Whether you choose to consider it a possibility or blatant opportunism is ultimately up to you. To borrow a phrase, I don't need to prove you wrong.
Quite convenient as publishing private box messages is against the charter.

Nevertheless, the hunting thing whether reported or not does not fit the experience.

Comments are dropped in the threads they are dropped and might be answered where they have been dropped.

Dropping posts a bit everywhere and getting answers to them does not mean being hunted. It means establishing a presence everywhere and getting response to it everywhere.
--
Backlog:0
ChienAboyeur is offline

ChienAboyeur

SasqWatch

#23

Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 5,902
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)

Default 

July 12th, 2019, 12:57
Could I suggest we maybe split this thread off from the point it spun into a different conversation? I do feel a bit uncomfortable having this long debate around a person who isn't currently here to comment, but at the same time I want to respond to some of the points made. I also don't think we should be discussing what he told people in private messages. Let this thread go back to, "Hope Couch is alright".
--
"Where can the horizon lie, when a nation hides its organic minds in a cellar, dark and grim? They must be very dim." David Bowie, All the Madmen (1970)
Ripper is offline

Ripper

Ripper's Avatar
Ngikufisela iwela

#24

Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 8,616
Mentioned: 67 Post(s)

Default 

July 12th, 2019, 13:36
Originally Posted by ChienAboyeur View Post
Quite convenient as publishing private box messages is against the charter.

You are absolutely correct and that should have been handled at the time. probably because I was not surprised by the shared information that it did not trigger me. A bit late to do it now, but better late than never.
--
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. Douglas Adams
There are no facts, only interpretations. Nietzsche
Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go. Oscar Wilde
Myrthos is offline

Myrthos

Myrthos's Avatar
Cave Canem
Administrator
RPGWatch Team

#25

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 9,329
Mentioned: 90 Post(s)

Default 

July 12th, 2019, 14:03
Thanks for bringing this to our attention @ChienAboyeur.
Right. Next: Splitting the thread. May take a while.

Anyone objecting to having been part of the move, please pm me later.
--
1. It's not what you say - it is the way you say it.
Lovely 2 minute video: 'Change your words, change your world'

2. Getting a YouTube video loaded and other BB codes, see this post
Eye is offline

Eye

Eye's Avatar
Eye Watch
Super Moderator

#26

Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Europe
Posts: 2,138
Mentioned: 44 Post(s)

Default 

July 12th, 2019, 14:07
@Ripper
I know you were not making fun of him and I have no issues with making fun of people's political afflictions in general. However this thread was started out being concerned for Couch so I don't believe suck a joke is merited in such a thread because if Couch see this thread and see those thing then it might have a negative effect on him.

@Eye
Couch isn't nobody around here. He has contributed so much to this site and
I hope you have been around here long enough to know that something is up with Couch during the last couple of years to make him turn bit bitter (may be wrong choice of word). I felt he was acting out of character compared to 3 or 4 years ago. I also know moderation is not easy but then there is also the letter of the law versus sprite of the law thing so I felt (not saying I am right) some of those early posts could have been removed etc…
lostforever is offline

lostforever

lostforever's Avatar
SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor

#27

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 4,361
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)

Default 

July 12th, 2019, 15:26
Update
Move completed. Some posts were copied, since they contained information that was more appropriate in the other thread. I deleted text from those posts, keeping the text that seemed logical for that specific thread.

Please next time, just quote or quote+ and start a new thread yourself.

Originally Posted by lostforever View Post
some of those early posts could have been removed etc…
Yes, I agree with you - completely. Hindsight.

To split every time some people start going off topic seems premature though (you never know how long the ‘derail’ will continue) and would simply take too much of my time. Therefore I am triggered by requests done by an OP, and my advise to all repliers to DIY by quote/quote+ and start a new thread if you want to deepen a subject that seems off topic.
--
1. It's not what you say - it is the way you say it.
Lovely 2 minute video: 'Change your words, change your world'

2. Getting a YouTube video loaded and other BB codes, see this post
Last edited by Eye; July 12th, 2019 at 16:20. Reason: Added: and start a new thread
Eye is offline

Eye

Eye's Avatar
Eye Watch
Super Moderator

#28

Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Europe
Posts: 2,138
Mentioned: 44 Post(s)

Default 

July 12th, 2019, 15:27
I thought of making a post to get back on topic a few times - but decided it was hopeless after a while and moved on. What i think of Couch politically is not relevant to concern that he just vanished after all I do believe he is not in the best of health from things said in the past.

Originally Posted by Eye View Post
Moderation only happens when something is against the TOS. One can not ask for moderation merely because one reads something one does not like. Note:


The only thing of the TOS that seems to be applicable here is ‘Off topic’:

But if applied strictly in this thread lots of posts would have to be deleted, yours (#47) included @lostforever for it does not answer the question where Couch is.

If I had received a request from the one that started this thread ( @you ) to get rid of all the non-related stuff very soon after the first off-topic posts appeared high chance I would have done so, btw. It is his thread. I’d like to add: people wanting to deepen matters that come up in a thread are always free to copy/quote/quote+ one or more posts and start their own thread.
you is offline

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

#29

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: usa - boston
Posts: 7,410
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)

Default 

July 12th, 2019, 15:48
As far as I’m concerned the OP can request off-topic issues to be removed or deleted. The last is in line with the TOS. The first depends on my time.

If the OP says in his first message he wants to stick to the subject, or does not want it to be diverted no seperate request will be needed, that is, if I happen to read that specific thread.

Edit:
To be on the safe side: as an OP just send me (or any other moderator or administrator) a PM requesting off-topic posts to be removed. I am checking in twice a day at least (to check for spammers), so I am not far away.
Or send in a report, the tos:
In general a contribution to a discussion should add something to that discussion and keep the discussion going and on-topic, not stop it or divert it.
--
1. It's not what you say - it is the way you say it.
Lovely 2 minute video: 'Change your words, change your world'

2. Getting a YouTube video loaded and other BB codes, see this post
Last edited by Eye; July 12th, 2019 at 16:00.
Eye is offline

Eye

Eye's Avatar
Eye Watch
Super Moderator

#30

Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Europe
Posts: 2,138
Mentioned: 44 Post(s)

Default 

July 12th, 2019, 16:19
Originally Posted by dteowner View Post
Nobody forces anyone to step into the P&R swamp, but y'all are chasing him all over the forums, as evidenced here.
I did add a few news in his "RPG news" thread without any comments.
I did discuss gaming bs in the gaming bs thread started by me with him and if not each time we agree in like 99% of cases.
I tend not to post in P&R because I have certain attitude towards general life that doesn't fit any "normal" ideology - that includes all varieties of extremes, but I don't remember ever going into flame war or something with him, no reason to.
And for whatever reason, I do not stalk people.

So it's not "y'all".

Aside from that, Couch is mia for reasons unknown and he can't say anything about any of this which makes this whole thread unfair towards him.
I just hope he's all right and will return somewhere in the future. Dunno about you but I miss him.
--
Toka Koka
joxer is offline

joxer

joxer's Avatar
The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

#31

Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 21,456
Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
+1:

Default 

July 12th, 2019, 18:11
Oh, how I expect people to … what's the word ? "lästern" in German language … - over me … I'm very sure, I'm just not liked by everyone.

So .. I'm sure, people are talking about others … That's pretty normal.

What I don't want, however, is any form of 4chan. As soon as the watch would become THAT, I'd be gone.
--
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)
Alrik Fassbauer is offline

Alrik Fassbauer

Alrik Fassbauer's Avatar
TL;DR
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

#32

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Old Europe
Posts: 18,853
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)

Default 

July 12th, 2019, 18:14
Oh, for heaven's sake.
--
"But if it's a battle," he said, "which side is which?"
"If it's a battle," said Lilac.
Hexprone is offline

Hexprone

Hexprone's Avatar
Thou hast lost an eighth!

#33

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 1,070
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
+1:

Default 

July 12th, 2019, 18:15
I believe I mentioned your absence in a thread last year Alric. I mean, I obviously regretted that a few weeks later, but it felt good at the time.
lackblogger is offline

lackblogger

lackblogger's Avatar
retired poster
Original Sin 2 Donor

#34

Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 2,975
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)

Default 

July 12th, 2019, 18:22
I know.
--
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)
Alrik Fassbauer is offline

Alrik Fassbauer

Alrik Fassbauer's Avatar
TL;DR
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

#35

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Old Europe
Posts: 18,853
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)

Default 

July 12th, 2019, 18:27
As always its great to see you, deets again posting in the regular forums and come to say we miss you too. you are more absent than Couch these days.

I come to these forums because they are moderate and anything extreme gets shoved over to the cesspool that is the P&R forum which I rarely wade into.

You know you and I hold a lot of the same opinions on matters and I come here because they are largely tolerated.

I agree with your assessments on the P&R forums that management at the time overstepped themselves, if only in spirit, here because of one user because they agreed with her politics. Management at the time included our absentee poster. Regardless, it's owned by said management and they can do whatever they want IMO. They are paying the bills. They are kind enough to have policies in the first place and typically don't act like autocratic dictators where people are banned for life just for disagreeing with you.

I don't get involved with those forums because they get all riled up and I end up in fights. I can't stand the attitude some people get by not willing to fight in them all the time, getting in one last insult and dig when you state that.

If you haven't noticed a lot of the worst offenders in those forums eventually leave permanently from burnout - some find a home on that other RPG site for weird reason.

That's what I'm getting at - no one's mind is changed, people just get burnt out and they leave and they find they can't talk about anything else but politics all the time.

There are a couple of good things that did come out of that but I'll only mention one:

The P&R forums are off the front page now. Something I advocated for years ago. Its lead to a lot more enjoyable experience coming to the site for me now.
--
Developer of The Wizard's Grave Android game. Discussion Thread:
http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22520
Lucky Day is offline

Lucky Day

Lucky Day's Avatar
Daywatch

#36

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: The Uncanny Valley
Posts: 4,961
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)

Default 

July 12th, 2019, 21:59
Yup this is a liberal bastion and you have to just deal with it. I post fairly infrequently as a result. Somehow RPG's have attracted left wingers whereas my car related forums are overwhelmingly conservative. You aren't going to change it. And where there is a big Euro element you are dealing with socialist elements to boot. Put a fork in it. I suggest becoming interested in muscle cars LOL
--
"For Innos!"
ToddMcF2002 is offline

ToddMcF2002

ToddMcF2002's Avatar
SasqWatch

#37

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Boston MA
Posts: 3,466
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
+1:

Default 

July 13th, 2019, 00:14
Lol. Yeah, I reckon a MAGA "muscle car" forum would be the perfect fit for a few of the characters around here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OHYaxynht4
--
"Where can the horizon lie, when a nation hides its organic minds in a cellar, dark and grim? They must be very dim." David Bowie, All the Madmen (1970)
Last edited by Ripper; July 13th, 2019 at 03:29.
Ripper is offline

Ripper

Ripper's Avatar
Ngikufisela iwela

#38

Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 8,616
Mentioned: 67 Post(s)

Default 

July 13th, 2019, 10:12
When I look at how many news posters have left her - kinda popped up, did work, then completely vanished out of sight - then I must say to myself : Being a news poster here is a dangerous job. One stays up front to criticism, and people who don't like one as being a news poster don't restrain themselves from trying to bully the news posting person out. Then the "criticizers" become silent again. Until the next one they don't like appears. And they *never* do want to be news posters themselves because … criticising someone is SO MUCh easier than being at the front of the shitstorm oneself …

And this is a symptom of at least some of our "western" societies as well : Bullying people out of a place is a thing these days. Especially young men do so as some kind of "showcase" for their own perceived might and power - which they cabn feed themselves on, or show others. Like as if "only if you have successfully bullied someone out of business, only then you are a *real* man !" Comes nicely together with gangsta rap (and its current German counterpart, the "Deutschrap" which is about nothing than cars, money, fast driving, and girls) and the current rise of aggression in societies in general.

In short : What we see here as behaviour is only weak ripples coming in from a far bigger stone thrown into the lake somewhere else.
--
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)
Alrik Fassbauer is offline

Alrik Fassbauer

Alrik Fassbauer's Avatar
TL;DR
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

#39

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Old Europe
Posts: 18,853
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
+1:

Default 

July 13th, 2019, 12:22
Hey Couchpotato! Get back here so I can post some more of your news. ;-)

And don't let things grind you down because tomorrow is another day.

If it makes you feel better I must admit a reluctance to post in P&R forum as I am not a utopian leaning person but more focused on what an individual can do with what they are given. I do not think a meaningful conversation can take place there with all the rampant tribalism. It blinds us all but some more than others.

Peace out.
Silver is online now

Silver

Silver's Avatar
Spaceman
RPGWatch Team

#40

Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 7,185
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » Having a life at The Watch - or not
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT +2. The time now is 10:55.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by DragonByte Security (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright by RPGWatch