Larian Studios - Website Tease

Snore. Do not really want. And a BGIII needs to be RTWP, which is not Larians thing lately.

I don't understand that argument. D:OS, PoE II and XCOM have shown how big turn-based can be. I would even argue that it is more "modern" than RTwP atm.

Right now, my bet is on BG III being turn-based. We will know in a week or so.

Last edited:
Baldur's Gate III: "Everyone's a Minsc" :p
Actually first BG1 was not that far off from Larian's/Belgian "humor", except with main story/characters.
And RtwP is not really a BG "thing", has never worked well. ( at best being somewhat tolerable/not annoying in DAO/PoE2).
It's kind of like playing a game of pool with a few seconds timer for each shoot, you simply don't get sense of precision as in TB. Best argument (for it) is always about letting player go through trash mobs more quickly.
This will be interesting.

I would have been happier if it was Owlcats.. :(

Owlcats are more like copycats. ;)
While Larian has it's issues, they make far more interesting/more modern games than anyone ( who makes same type of game), with far more likely success.

On topic: I thnk Larian would be well up to the task (correct English?), but in general I'm …not exactly sceptical, but certainly not hyped, for any revamp of any old series. Results so far have mostly been … underwhelming. So I wait and see- (Same applies to the upcoming Vampire game). DS

Speaking of Garriott, I know Larian was trying to get a few licenses. I was really hoping they'd get the Ultima franchise, and remake Ultima 7.

For my taste, yes. The grimdarker the better.

This is my main gripe with D:OS: It is too cheerful. The first time I saw my char change into a barrel when sneaking I seriously wanted to quit.

The problem is not the art style as such -

- the problem is that is is EVERYWHERE NOW.

Nintendo is the ONLY company I know of doing colourful ganes AT ALL.

I just don't like too much of the same thing. It bores me incredibly.

And, besides, when did we see a *major* game that was colourful ? Never in the last 10 years. At least I don't remember any.

"Too cheerful" ? If I want to see grimdark, then I merely need to open the newspaper and read about the Syrian war.

I don't understand that argument. D:OS, Kingmaker and XCOM have shown how big turn-based can be. I would even argue that it is more "modern" than RTwP atm.

Well if its turn-based my interest will lower, but I will probably play it at some point years later. Anyway I've said it before not every classic inspired RPG has to turn-based.
For my taste, yes. The grimdarker the better.

This is my main gripe with D:OS: It is too cheerful. The first time I saw my char change into a barrel when sneaking I seriously wanted to quit.
Yep cheesy light fantasy bores me to death as some European RPG developers overuse humor. Some examples are the Two World games, and most Larian games.

I'm not a fan of the rather cartoony and tongue-in-cheek vibe that's become popular in some RPGs. For whatever reason, I do like my fantasy played pretty straight. More than happy for a bit of well-placed humour, but not so much that the whole thing feels like it has an arched eyebrow.

Baldur's Gate III: "Everyone's a Minsc" :p
Actually first BG1 was not that far off from Larian's/Belgian "humor", except with main story/characters.
And RtwP is not really a BG "thing", has never worked well. ( at best being somewhat tolerable/not annoying in DAO/PoE2).
It's kind of like playing a game of pool with a few seconds timer for each shoot, you simply don't get sense of precision as in TB. Best argument (for it) is always about letting player go through trash mobs more quickly.

RTwP worked fine for IE games including BG - you just didn't like it ;)

Owlcats are more like copycats. ;)
While Larian has it's issues, they make far more interesting/more modern games than anyone ( who makes same type of game), with far more likely success.

This from someone who said Kingmaker is boring :lol: are you saying BG was boring too then, Bobo? Personally, I'm not even sure which game you've mistaken as Kingmaker considering your experience was far different to mine and others like Gabriel, Wolf, etc.

And I'd rather this new "BG3" not be too "modern" because then why is it even called BG"3" then? If Larian wants to try something new, they should have called it BG:whateveritisotherthan3. Also, "3" implicates that its continuation of previous 2 game about Bhaalspawn which means Larian have to make some silly forceful connections :rolleyes:

I dunno how this tentacle stuff they're pushing (both on the website and Larian twitter) fits into Forgotten Realms. Also, the "III" on the website doesn't really correspond with either the BG or D:OS number "fonts" from the past. Could it be they're preparing to simultaneously announce both Baldur's Gate 3 and also Divinity: Original Sin 3 (or Divinity 3)? Could explain the emphasis on the number 3, to the exclusion of everything else. Would blow minds and completely dominate E3 coverage.

Dunno. Seems like if they're trolling BG3, there's gonna be a lot of pissed off people. But, I wouldn't entirely put it past Larian.

Well Cyberpunk 2077's release date would blow my mind more at this years E3. As for trolling yeah I agree it would be hilarious if the reveal is just Original Sin III instead.

Dunno. Seems like if they're trolling BG3, there's gonna be a lot of pissed off people. But, I wouldn't entirely put it past Larian.
I think BG3 sounds real enough based on other evidence, like what Jason Schreier has said. Just wondering about the possibility of a simultaneous announcement of two games. To re-state and add a bit, evidence that might play into the simultaneous theory:

- Would explain why the full focus is on the number 3, which appears to be in some neutral (not belonging to either BG or D:OS) "font".
- They've said in the past that they now work on 2 games simultaneously. Even if you're taking BG3 as a given, it also seems safe to take it as a given that D:OS2 is getting a sequel, and now would also be about the right time to announce D:OS3.
- The tentacle stuff could be from D:OS3 instead of BG3.

edit: Tentacles could be from a kraken? Which exist in FR, but also played a role in D:OS2, so I'd say krakens lean more towards the D:OS side of things.

edit2: I guess it does refer to kraken. I brought up the metadata on the current video and there's bits in there that say "Say no to crack Say yes to kraken", "Wuts kraken", and "KRAKEN me crazy" :lol:

edit3: There's metadata in there giving the local disk location of this file on the computer of the user who created it: /Users/ccadiz/Desktop/Projects/DOS/RENDER/Tentacles_v1 folder/Tentacles_v1.aep
Note the "DOS" directory in that pathname… There's also a "DOS_Fade" and "DOS_Edge" referred to in the file's metadata.

Last edited:

This is such nonsense. I have no idea how you could play a game like BG/2 and still hold this view. You even contradict yourself in the very short sentence of misinformation you did provide: "the sense of precision", yes dear, in RTwP you actually have the chance to dodge a Fireball whereas in TB you are glued to the spot, so, erm, no, the only difference is NOT that it's "always about letting the player go through trash mobs more quickly".

It really is so tedious this current trend to turn the concept of turn-based into some kind of on-line terrorism agenda. Whatever next? Demanding Mortal Combat be turn-based 'or the kid gets it'?

Would be great if they were double-trolling and it turned out to be neither BG3 or OS3.

I'd jump for joy if it actually turned out to be Divinity 3, but I'm not holding my breath on that one.

I dunno how this tentacle stuff they're pushing (both on the website and Larian twitter) fits into Forgotten Realms. Also, the "III" on the website doesn't really correspond with either the BG or D:OS number "fonts" from the past. Could it be they're preparing to simultaneously announce both Baldur's Gate 3 and also Divinity: Original Sin 3 (or Divinity 3)? Could explain the emphasis on the number 3, to the exclusion of everything else. Would blow minds and completely dominate E3 coverage.

This could definitely be it. I don't remember the source, but I read somewhere that Larian said there were more surprises coming. BG/D:OS crossover anybody? ;-)

Snore. Do not really want. And a BGIII needs to be RTWP, which is not Larians thing lately. Divine Divinity and even Ego Draconis were far better games IMO than OS1 and 2 and I would love a real sequel to DD but it will never happen. Sad.

I don't understand that argument. D:OS, Kingmaker and XCOM have shown how big turn-based can be. I would even argue that it is more "modern" than RTwP atm.

Well, that seems more like usual mistake of personal preferences for general game quality. He likes 3rd person action rpgs more, which makes all isometric party-based games worse then any 3rd person action game. For some reason happens all the time. People going into discussions about games in genres they dislike, bashing them for not being something else. Funny.

The problem is not the art style as such -

- the problem is that is is EVERYWHERE NOW.

Nintendo is the ONLY company I know of doing colourful ganes AT ALL.

And, besides, when did we see a *major* game that was colourful ? Never in the last 10 years. At least I don't remember any.

"Too cheerful" ? If I want to see grimdark, then I merely need to open the newspaper and read about the Syrian war.

Plenty of colourfull games on this list in my opinion: https://store.steampowered.com/curator/4973374-RPGWatch/#browse

Unless you desire my little pony colourfull or something like that.

Well, that seems more like usual mistake of personal preferences for general game quality. He likes 3rd person action rpgs more, which makes all isometric party-based games worse then any 3rd person action game. For some reason happens all the time. People going into discussions about games in genres they dislike, bashing them for not being something else. Funny.

He said "IMO" or did you miss that? Not sure why you would have a problem with him having an opinion when everyone else in this thread is doing the exact same thing.

It's kind of like playing a game of pool with a few seconds timer for each shoot,
The rocket hears that.

you simply don't get sense of precision as in TB.

Precision in UgoIgo when tons on them rely on a flimsy use of probabilities.

UgoIgo is not even about control.
Best argument (for it) is always about letting player go through trash mobs more quickly.
No. Games like TW series do not rely on this argument.
Best argument for UgoIgo is access though. Low bottom entry point as it requires little amount of skills.
RTwP has a higher skill requirements and as such will never work well for people who has not the skillset required.

This product must be UgoIgo for this reason.
If going crowdfunded as a RTwP product, it will be hijacked in no time by UgoIgo players who do not want to feel excluded, the group is all for them and they can not bear feeling left aside.

They will keep pressuring devs until it is made UgoIgo. Better start from that point.

Because UgoIgo is no guarantee for a good game or even a game.

The UgoIgo crowd is satisfied with anything UgoIgo because it fits their demand, they feel included (inclusivity) so as long as it is UgoIgo, they feel part of the gang so it is fine.

Yet when an interest in gameplay, UgoIgo is not an argument, the gameplay attached to it is.

And for sure, the BG series, what they meant, does not deserve another mediocre, sub par product that is meant to appease players'insecurities.

It deserves a proper game.

That can be the case. Although, I tried to be objective here. My personal preference is turn-based (I still enjoy Kingmaker, though) but objectively turn-based RPG/tactics games were more successful in the last few years than RTwP. Point in case, Phoenix Point raking in millions in a time where Kickstarters struggle more often than not, and PoE II getting a turn-based mode ad-hoc.

Ah but Phoenix Point is not an RPG game.:p

Just have to mention this as some members call XCOM 2 an RPG.:biggrin:

Back
Top Bottom