Couchpotato's Random RPG News

Does Anyone Read This Thread for News?

• Yes

Votes: 53 89.8%
  • No

Votes: 6 10.2%

• Total voters
Witcher 3 released all sorts of free DLC and did a great job merging the paid DLC into the main game. No way am I going to play Cyberpunk early!

I didn't know they were re-doing Persona 5! Maybe that version will finally make it to PC.

April 16th - Cyberpunk 2077

May 19th - Wasteland 3

May 29th - The Last of Us 2

It's going to be a good Spring. :)

1 - already spent
2 - not interested
3 - even less interested

My wallet won't be kicked in the nuts. :D

I'm also hopeful that Persona the fifth will make its' way to computer venues. Not holding my breath, but I will buy it if that happens. I know I'll be giving Wasteland Three and Cyberpunk much attention later this year, so aye, things are looking splendid for spring and likely summer!

Matt Chat 437: Colin McComb on Classic Dungeons & Dragons Campaigns

In this installment, Colin chats about Planescape, Birthright, Ravenloft, Dragon Mountain, and more. We also talk about life at TSR and the nature of evil.

Does Disco Elysium raise our expectations of the RPGs? - PC Gamer
Disco Elysium feels more like interactive fiction than an RPG to me. Technically there are stats and you can level up aspects of your personality, but that's mostly in service of giving you dialogue choices. I love Disco Elysium, but it hasn't damaged my enthusiasm to explore beautiful new worlds in RPGs. It's going to be an exciting year, as the new console generation arrives and we see another audiovisual leap in standards, RPGs are well placed to give us the best journeys and stories of the new generation.
Everything we know about Vampire: The Masquerade—Bloodlines 2 - PC Gamer
Imagine trying to compete with Half-Life 2 on the same day it was released. That's what happened to the original Vampire: The Masquerade—Bloodlines. A contract with Valve prevented Bloodlines from being released before Half-Life 2, but Activison didn't want push the release date for Bloodlines back. So, not only did Bloodlines have to compete with one of the greatest PC games of all time, but Bloodlines was marred with bugs. Commercially, it didn't do well, though it did eventually end up on our list of the best RPGs of all time.
Diablo III - The Darkening of Tristram Event Returns - Blizzard
Diablo’s anniversary is right around the corner, along with the Darkening of Tristram event! Whether you’re a series veteran craving nostalgia, or a newcomer hungry for your first taste of the franchise’s past, this annual loving homage to the earliest days of Diablo is for you.
Unknown Realm: The Siege Perilous Update #36 - Kickstarter
Laura here, I just wanted to clear up a few misunderstandings stemming from our last update.

We will continue posting updates on Kickstarter for all backers. Our plan is to try to work with a model similar to Patreon - we'll post updates as usual on Kickstarter for all backers as we have been doing, and recurring supporters will get access to behind-the-scenes video updates as an added perk. We've had backers contact us about setting up a Patreon for over a year so they could give a little extra support, but we didn't want to hassle with yet another platform (or the 12% fees on Patreon), and we already had donations set up on our website for Paypal, so that's what we're doing.

Storytelling used in Path of Exile

A talk from the Narrative Designer at Grinding Gear Games, Matt Dymerski. Recorded at Exilecon 2019.
The Outer Worlds Tim Cain Interview - Gamasutra
"The flaw system was an intersection of two different goals," Tim Cain told me. He's co-director of The Outer Worlds and also the game design legend known for creating the original Fallout. "One of our goals was to not do all the character creation upfront. We wanted the player to pick a few things about the character and then other things get decided later…We also wanted to combine it with the reactivity of the game."

"Character creation is the player telling the game how they want to play," he added, mentioning that Cthulu board and computer games helped inspire this system. "The flaws are the game telling the player 'here's what you did, do you want to react to it? You got hit by a lot of plasma, do you want to be plasma susceptible? You fight a lot of robots, do you want to be scared of them?'"

Wolcen: Lords of Mayhem Update #120 - Leaving Early Access

Hello everyone!

Our CEO, Daniel Dolui, wants to personally give you an important information regarding a slight change in the release date of Wolcen. This is not much, but for us it’s everything, and we hope that you will be understanding.

In addition to this, we wanted to share with you some images of our studio, and mostly a preview on the new character customization that will be available at the release of the game. That customization preview contains the return of the female character model, and we’re very happy to finally introduce her to you.

Wasteland 3 The Road Thus Far - inXile Entertainment
It’s hard to believe that 2019 is behind us—that went by fast! Last year we got our first look at a black hole, an egg became the most popular social media icon, and humans stormed a government facility to discover if the truth is out there. Though the passage of time may one day result in our bodies withering into leathery husks—dissolving into grit and dust, with no surviving record of what value our lives once held—the last few years haven’t been so bad! We spent them on a project we’re excited to launch, and we’re almost to the finish line.

Since 2020 is here, it’s about high time we offer another update as we barrel towards the release of Wasteland 3 on May 19 (pre-order now!). Before we do, let’s look back fondly at what’s gotten us to this point.
Maestro, please dim the lights and roll tape…

The Iron Oath Update #50 - Happy New Year - Kickstarter
Hello backers! Firstly we'd like to wish a Happy New Year to all of you, and we hope you had a terrific Holiday season. Recently we've been putting a lot of focus on adding polish to combat, so in this update we're going to show off some of these improvements, which includes new hit effects, violent deaths, and boss kill effects.

The Feature That Almost Sank Disco Elysium

In this week's episode of Audio Logs, Disco Elysium's lead designer and writer Robert Kurvitz discusses the hardships ZA/UM underwent to make sure that the game's Thought Cabinet mechanic worked, and talks about the game's unlikely inspiration

The Untold Story Behind the Design of Transistor - NoClip

We uncover the original design concepts for Transistor and show how the team at Supergiant Games worked to avoid the sophomore slump.
Grim Dawn Grim Misadventure #167 - A Look Back at 2019
And a Happy New Grim Misadventure to you! As we usher in 2020, we reflect upon the game that released nearly four years ago. 2019 was another huge year for Grim Dawn.

Let’s go down memory lane and see all that 2019 brought us…and perhaps see what’s still to come!

2019 saw the release of Grim Dawn’s second expansion, Forgotten Gods, as well as 6 major content and feature updates. Build diversity saw substantial gains through not only hundreds of new items in the expansion but also through extensive balancing, including concluding the year with our largest content update ever!

The Surge 2 - Premium Edition Launch Trailer

System Shock Remastered Demo Livestream

Daniel plays through the current demo build with team members.
Stygian: Reign of the Old Ones New Patch - Steam
Fellow cultists, New update sees light of days and we hope to bring you even more joy out of exploring the shadowy corners of the city of Arkham.

Remembering Exilecon 2019

Banner Saga Release Anniversary & New Project Teased - Blog Post
Alex: Launching that first game was an absolute test of willpower. Health-wise I was spent. I had to take a much longer break than Arnie and John, and by then they had moved onto the second game in the trilogy.

John: We were totally exhausted, and all took much needed breaks. I went to Europe for a few weeks and did some other traveling. But before long we were back at it, localizing the game and porting to mobile, and then console.

Alex: I filled the time with a side-project, then heard that the third game was having trouble early in development. They needed a writer. There were so many concepts and plot threads to try and pull into a final, satisfying package, it was a tremendous challenge. That said, I was incredibly thankful to be able to come back and finish the third game and the story that I had set out to write back when it was just a gleam in our eyes to make our own game.

John: Over 4 more years of work, and we had finished the whole trilogy and released the final DLCs that we had sketched out in our original Kickstarter – 7 years in all from inception to completion.

Alex: Seven years after we first set out in metaphorical longships to create our own game dev studio, we’ve seen other developers come and go. We’ve seen the coming of the “indie apocalypse” and felt how hard it is to make a living doing your own games. And we’re still here and going strong! Stoic’s continuing to grow bigger than it’s ever been before, and we’re wading heavily into a new project with new ambitions and aspirations. We can’t wait to be able to talk more about it soon and we hope you’ll come along with us to a new world, with new stories to tell in a new game.

Solasta: Crown of the Magister - NPC Design Contest and Winter Survey
Hello there folks! I sure hope you all had some wonderful time over the winter festivities, rolling dice and singing merry songs to ward the TPK away. Now, Santa may have already returned to his icy lair, but the Tactical Adventures crew is here all year long.
Pathfinder: Kingmaker – Update 2.0.8
Please be aware of plot spoilers in the description below!
Starpoint Gemini 3 - Roadmap Update
Hello captains!

Hope you had a splendid holiday season with many presents and sufficient time too play your favourite games!

We are starting right where we left off – with an update. Starpoint Gemini 3 is rushing to reach first half of planned major updates, and this update marks another step towards that goal.

DISCO ELYSIUM - Hardcore mode + Ultrawide

Most Anticipated RPGs of 2020 - WCCFTech
2019 has definitely been a very good year for roleplaying games, with games like Kingdom Hearts 3, The Surge 2, Fire Emblem: Three Houses, The Outer Worlds, Pokemon Sword and Shield, and The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel III, but last year's line-up pales in comparison to the 2020's.

With highly-anticipated games like Cyberpunk 2077 and Final Fantasy VII Remake, 2020 is setting up to be one of the best years for roleplaying games in a very long time, also thanks to the sheer variety of the line-up, which includes traditional turn-based RPGs, modern cRPGs and action RPGs

Of Orcs And Men Released on - GOG
Lead the revolution of the Orcs and Goblins!

In a world at war, the vast Empire of Men tries to extend its domination over the territories of the Orcs and Goblins, who are systematically persecuted, enslaved and massacred. Through this great role-playing game, lead a fearsome Orc warrior, and a Goblin master of assassination and stealth.

You have been appointed to fulfill an extremely dangerous mission, deep in enemy territory: to kill one man... the Emperor himself. Fight your way through a terribly hostile world to reach the objective of your quest. Level up, learn and develop powerful skills, and finally free your people from the yoke of the Empire!

What Knights Of The Old Republic 3 Could Have Been

Rumor: EA Working On Old Republic Remake And Other Star Wars Projects

Of Orcs And Men Released on - GOG

I think they also released the two Styx games at the same time. And they're all on sale at the moment.

(I wonder whether "Of Orcs And Men" still had "real" physical distribution. I remember playing it, but have it on none of the online platforms. Odd. Will have to search.)

Back
Top Bottom