The Outer Worlds - Just lie!

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Henriquejr spotted a preview for The Outer Worlds on PC Gamer:

In The Outer Worlds, the best weapon is being able to lie about everything

In our hands-on time with Obsidian's upcoming RPG, we discovered that honesty isn't the best policy.
A lot of games have extra-difficult ways to play: you can finish Deus Ex without killing anyone, sneak through Dishonored without ever once being detected, and play Thief with absolutely zero combat. Earlier this month Phil and I each played about 90 minutes of The Outer Worlds, Obsidian Entertainment's upcoming first-person RPG, and I can already predict the toughest way to complete it:

By making it through the entire game without ever telling a lie.

It's gotta be nearly impossible because in just this short session alone I lied constantly. I lied to a drug dealer who hired me to track down his missing stashes, telling him I couldn't find them so I could keep the drugs for myself. Phil lied to a weeping mom about the fate of her missing son and claimed to be a professional athlete so he could investigate a gambler's murder. I lied to an animal rescue worker, a corporate security guard, and a shop vendor so I could get my hands on an item I wanted. I even disguised myself as an employee of a factory so I could murder the owner, and when the disguise failed I lied my way out of trouble. Twice.
[...]

60 minutes of gameplay:

More information.

The Zero Lie Challenge: do we get an achievement award for making it through the game without lying? :biggrin:

The Zero Lie Challenge: do we get an achievement award for making it through the game without lying? :biggrin:

That actually sounds like an achievement worth going for. If nothing else than for the comedy being totally truthful will probably lead to.

Have to agree. Because…

Instead of "kill 10 trashmobs" and "collect all ingame books", an achievement for no lies till the game's end would be appreciated by me. Especially if the game is designed in a way telling the truth is the least rewarding option. Who'd need artificial difficulty then? Lie to all = easy, don't lie = harder game.

Of course a separate no lies in sidequests would be even better - assuming sidequests aren't boring filler. ;)

The problem is this ain't no indie game so they won't do it. :(
Remember that Obsidian abandoned their own designs for New Vegas and instead of crazy world for every player, it was a stupid trait. Or respawning trashmobs indefinetly. I don't expect them to go drastic innovation in something that needs some shaking up - achievements and difficulties.
Then again, the game will be goty (yes, I'm saying it again) and will have a sequel that can evolve further so nothing is lost.

Judging by the preview not lying certainly seems to be harder path, since you won't be able to bluff your way out of situations.

They do say that creators are at their best when they create something that they are inherently familiar with.

Back
Top Bottom